Cameras forum

General discussion

No viewfinder what happens when

by weders / December 11, 2005 5:15 AM PST

What do you do if that LCD screen fades or its too bright to see the screen, or it konks out, How long does that LCD screen hold up for, an if something goes wrong with that LCD screen or its too bright or too much much reflection from outdoor or in door light what then? Anyone? I like the camera but I'm starting to have second thoughts. Any ideas anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No viewfinder what happens when
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No viewfinder what happens when
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No view finder ?
by Papa Echo / December 11, 2005 6:56 AM PST

If there is no view finder ?- what make and model ? If the problem too much reflection, find something to shade the screen-your other hand, for example. If it fades or is no longer giving picture, it's broken.

Collapse -
kodak v550
by weders / December 11, 2005 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: No view finder ?

Sorry its a kodak v550. It seems alot of the cameras this year are not made with the optical viewfinder, is this the new direction for digital cameras. as for the idea of covering the screen with the other hand or something do u mean like the old days when we covered the back end of the camera and the head of the photographer with that black cloth Happy that entire act would seem contridictory and a reverse in technology. I guess what I mean to say is where is the viewfinder in such an advance time, if one option is not suitable at any one time like say outside or even inside in bright light situations the optical viewfinder just makes sence or am I missing something?

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 11, 2005 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: kodak v550

I still like a camera with an optical viewfinder.

Why have they done away with them?

People want a very small camera with a very large LCD.
There is no space left to put a viewfinder.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / December 11, 2005 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: kodak v550

...have you actually experienced the problem ? I do not have the Kodak v550, so I am not able to tell much. But perhaps instructions are in the manual ? Perhaps the LCD is made with no reflective material, or can be viewed under bright sunlight ? Perhaps its backlight can be adjusted ? Well, you can still use a black cloth if that is the only thing that can solve the problem....:)

Collapse -
merits of optical viewfinder
by rtdunham--2008 / December 13, 2005 4:53 AM PST

1) there WILL be times in bright sunlight or dimly lit situations where it will be difficult to frame a pic using LCD. (if it konks it konks, that's a different issue)
2) you can hold a camera more steadily up to your eye, than you can loose-limbed at a distance from your body. You get sharper pix using the optical viewfinder than using the LCD.
3) they're omitted, i suspect, to save space and to save money. A camera with an optical viewfinder and an LCD is superior to a camera with only the LCD.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.