Computer Help

General discussion

no video with multiple cards, pc turns on

by keabler / February 20, 2010 2:21 PM PST

So I just installed a new cpu heatsink, and now I have no video. I have tried multiple cards in a few different slots and the onboard video. I flashed the bios and made sure the pc was set in its socket correctly. My computer turns on but I have no video on either of my monitors (I run 2 monitors)

I have a
asus m3n ht deluxe
amd 60000+ cpu
4 gb of ocz platnum ddr2
radeon hd 5850
nvidia 7800gtx (runs my second monitor)
winows 7 x64

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no video with multiple cards, pc turns on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no video with multiple cards, pc turns on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First question
by Jimmy Greystone / February 20, 2010 10:00 PM PST

First question, is do you get video at any point, or is it just no video after Windows loads?

Second question is do you hear the usual POST beeps saying everything passed?

Collapse -
dead mobo maybe?
by keabler / February 20, 2010 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: First question

no video at all,and I never get beeps (no speaker in my case). However after a period of waiting I don't hear the infamous windows welcoming sound.

You guys think my mobo got zapped? Kinda weird if it did because my computer still turns on.

Collapse -
First thing I'd do
by Jimmy Greystone / February 20, 2010 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: dead mobo maybe?

First thing I'd do, is go out and try and find a local retailer that has PC Speakers. The internal kind, not for like playing music. That way, you can listen for any beep codes that will help you narrow down the issue. Shouldn't cost more than a couple dollars, and could potentially save you a few hundred in buying parts blindly hoping to find the solution.

Collapse -
ill try
by keabler / February 21, 2010 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: First thing I'd do

I live in summit county colorado aka resort towns. The only place that might have on would be office max do you think they would have one?

Collapse -
update
by keabler / February 20, 2010 10:48 PM PST

Just, an update I tried one more video card, put my old cpu cooler back in, and even tried firing up my computer with no cpu and still no dice.

Collapse -
Let's try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2010 11:49 PM PST
Collapse -
thx
by keabler / February 21, 2010 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try

The battery was fine. I think it is my mobo. I have 3 different video cards i tried, and the onboard video and nothing worked. I even tried it with the cpu removed. So I think its time to upgrade to a cor i5 750 and ddr3 lol.

note*
When I took my original cpu fan off the cpu came with it (I don't know what the deal was with that I have built numerous computers and never had that happen). could this have damaged something (all the pins looked fine).

Collapse -
Next common issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: thx

The motherboard mounting studs. A recurring problem I find is an extra mounting stud on the backside of the motherboard. This one kills the owner as they don't look since "it worked before."
Bob

Collapse -
yeah
by keabler / February 21, 2010 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Next common issue.

I've had that problem before. I'll make sure that's not the problem.

I appreciate every ones help, I really don't know what else it could be. I'm pretty experienced when it comes to building / troubleshooting computers, and have a good amount of experience in programing. I'm actually a physics / math double major so you would expect me to be pretty tech savvy.

Collapse -
thx
by keabler / February 21, 2010 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Next common issue.

i checked the studs... wasnt the problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.