Computer Help forum

General discussion

no video signal when I boot up the computer

by bruceparker / December 3, 2008 6:34 PM PST

At the far beginning, I try to connect my computer with two screens, it works for a while, then one screen's signal got chaos, then I only use one LCD monitor for a while, sometime when I try to boot up the computer, no video signal, no keyboard signal and mouse is not light up. Then I changed my video card to a new one, work for about a month, same problem happened. everytime I boot up, it failed. then I figure out a temporary solution, reseat the video card, it solve the problem everytime. But it is quite inconvenience. then I find a easy way, before I boot up computer every morning, unplug the power line, give a little small movement on the video card from outside(just little touch), then connect the power, the computer boot up every well. However this doesn't work all the time, this morning it failed, I still need to open the computer, reseating the video card to boot up the computer. Anyone can help me to figure out what the real problem of this? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no video signal when I boot up the computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no video signal when I boot up the computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like A Motherboard Problem..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 12:10 AM PST

...or possibly the power supply isn't correctly connected. If you constantly need to reseat the card, then the shifting of the card is wiggling something on the board which causes a "good" connection to take place.. So, you might start by completely reseating the motherboard so all setoffs are right.. Make sure all power connections and cables are reseated.. Things like that.. If the computer still doesn't work, try replacing the powers supply.. And if still no joy, I'd replace the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thanks, that works
by bruceparker / December 9, 2008 1:34 AM PST

although I didn't reseat my motherboard, I push on each connection to make sure there is not any loose, reseat my graphics card and sound card. Your method does solve the problem, at least for two days, my computer boot up as normal in the morning.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.