Dell forum

General discussion

No video signal?

by cephalization / July 18, 2009 12:27 AM PDT

Hello good sirs and ma'ams.

-No video signal (tried both a tv and monitor)
-Hooked laptop up to same tv and monitor and it worked fine
-ABCD Led lights are green (even when video card unplugged)
-Able to reboot/sleep computer with keyboard shortcuts
-Reseated the ram without any effect
-Booted without video card plugged in without any errors - no beeps and ABCD LED lights green (booted to windows I assume bc was able to use keyboard shortcuts to reboot the machine)
-ATI AGP video card (has no visual damage to it)

I'm using an old Dell Dimension 8300 desktop as a streaming video player for my LCD tv. Just last night it decided to hate me. It is running XP, service pack 2. I have AVG installed.

The other night it crashed while streaming netflix. The video froze with one solid row of horizontal pixels running through the video. The sound kept going, then started looping last 1/2 second of sound.

I had to hard boot. Restarted, no signal. So, I Unplugged for a few seconds, then booted fine. However, it froze again in the same way and now doesn't output any video signal.

I am guessing it is the video card, but don't have a spare one lying around. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No video signal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No video signal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, idea
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2009 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: No video signal?
Collapse -
Tried removing the battery...
by cephalization / July 18, 2009 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, idea

I tried unplgging the pc, removing the battery, pressing the power button, waiting a few seconds, then plugging it back in.

It beeped a few times when it booted, but no signal.

I've never replaced the battery.

Sound more like a dead video card?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Collapse -
If other displays don't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

Then it's likely. I thought we'd check the old cmos battery while we are there. Resetting the bios settings is an old bench trick because I've found settings that cause your issue and the simple reset (well simple for most machines) re-enables the video.

Now the documentation does not lead me to believe there is a SECOND VIDEO CONNECTION on the machine. You would have to look.

Collapse -
No second video output connection
by cephalization / July 18, 2009 3:11 AM PDT

To your last point, I think you were commenting if there is another video output (like directly on the mobo). There is not unfortunately.

I guess this means I'm buying a video card. Thanks for the help, Bob!

Collapse -
Then we're running out of runway.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

Or road.

I just wanted to cover all bases since other video connectors do exist in some machines. We can't dismiss it just because the documentation doesn't call it out. That's why we go ahead and look.

Glad you checked.

Collapse -
The video's path.
by luke-cool5 / February 28, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: No video signal?
Let's look at the path:
North bridge
video card

Start with a known good monitor.
Clean the memory with an eracer. Install one stick in the proper slot (check your manual).
Plug the power suppy back in ,and try it.
If there's still no video, Reset the BIOS, and try it again.
If there's still no video, Try a different video card.
On two dell T3400, I have seen this problem and found the mother board to be bad.
This problem starts with the North Bridge getting adnormally hot.
If you see this, order a mother board, you are about to loose your video.
There is a possability that the CPU is bad. Pentium 4s and old AMDs are bad about this.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.