Computer Help forum

General discussion

no video controller (VGA compatible)???

by sliver108 / October 12, 2004 6:52 AM PDT

Finally after getting sick of the spyware on my computer I decided to get rid of it. I used add/remove programs and ?tried? to make sure I only deleted what I didn?t want or need. Before restarting I tried to play a DVD, which I do a lot, but it wouldn?t let me. It said that I had to lower my screen resolution. I did that, which is something that I never had to do before, and my DVD still wouldn?t play. I then decided to restart my computer. I must have done something wrong because when I restarted my computer the ?found new hardware wizard? came up. It wanted to look for a driver for a ?video controller (VGA compatible)?. The new hardware wizard couldn?t find the correct driver. So what do I do now?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS ? I run a windows XP operating system on a Toshiba Satallite laptop

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no video controller (VGA compatible)???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no video controller (VGA compatible)???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: no video controller (VGA compatible)???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2004 7:03 AM PDT

1. Use XP's system restore to when it worked.

2. Toshiba has many video drivers available to download at ... their web site.

3. I don't think any spyware is that easily removed! I usually have to run Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder Stinger and Housecall to get it. All free tools noted at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

4. After you get the spyware out, think about how it gets in. Do you use Internet Explorer?

Bob

Collapse -
by sliver108 / October 12, 2004 1:25 PM PDT

I have fixed the problem. I try to use Netscape as much as I can but sometimes I use IE, why?

Thanks,
Jeff

Collapse -
I try to use Netscape as much as I can but sometimes I use
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2004 9:50 PM PDT

" I try to use Netscape as much as I can but sometimes I use IE, why? "

Get the latest Netscape for best effect. Or try the latest Mozilla. Very close in how they work. As to the why you don't want to use IE too much, it's this simple...

" Some of the really sleazy parasites, particularly homepage-hijackers and diallers, execute by exploiting security holes in Internet Explorer, ways of getting code to run that are not supposed to be possible, but are due to mistakes in the browser code."
- http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

The parasite problem is bad and I expect it to get worse since they seem to be fleecing quite a few people.

Bob

Collapse -
Videocontroller (VGA compatible)
by Charsten / February 15, 2005 3:55 PM PST

Do have exact the same problem with the VC. You said you fixed it, how? Thanks Charsten

Collapse -
video controller vga campatible
by billy1231 / January 5, 2006 10:18 AM PST

Im having problems with this Video controller. My monitor text is either to big or to small.

Collapse -
Video controller---VGA compatible
by jeandun123 / March 20, 2005 3:39 AM PST

Please, please----how did you fix the problem? I have the same situation and can't figure out what to do. Thanks Jean

Collapse -
Jean, Bob Proffitt Already Suggested...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2005 8:41 AM PST
Collapse -
vga video controller
by vishy5592 / April 5, 2005 9:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
vga video controller
by jcsc888 / May 1, 2005 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: vga video controller

i could not find the drivers on this site..i need to download the drivers for the video controller(vga compatible) for my windows xp os..if anyone can help me email me back at play_gurl2@hotmail.com

Collapse -
please help me_vga controller
by Montgomery Burns Again / June 11, 2006 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: vga video controller

Hi there! Were u able to solve your problem with the vga controller? Hit me back at nan492001@yahoo.com and offer me a hand.

Collapse -
v controler
by usga / November 11, 2006 10:29 AM PST

what i need to make to fix that controler video?

Collapse -
No VGA Video Controller (VGA Compatable)
by FADdEL / January 2, 2008 6:55 AM PST

How can I fix this problem...Windows Xp Pro I reinstalled windows Xp pro and still having problem any can help plz

Collapse -
Installed The Motherboard/Chipset Drivers Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 2:01 AM PST

XP won't do that for you.. After the XP install, you'll need to install ALL the hardward drivers.

If you've done that, please read all of the posts in this thread.. There are a lot of suggestions and you'll need to try them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
asus
by vishy5592 / April 15, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

i hav a asus kt600 with win xp
how do i fix the problem
please reply to vishy5592@gmail.com
if anyone wants a gmail invite mail me

Collapse -
by simon liu / November 26, 2004 3:25 AM PST

i have the same problem with u now, could u tell me how do i solve it?
my e-mail is peter_lwz@hotmail.com

Collapse -
by carlj4ck / November 29, 2004 3:28 AM PST

i also have the same problem, it seems as though windows doesnt have the driver, at first i thought i had an upgraded graphics card in there, however from these posts it seems not, how can i get this driver i have looked everywhere, if i had a clue as to what i was looking for it would be easy but im not that good with computers, if anybody can help me please email me on carlj4ck@hotmail.com
thanx carl

Collapse -
by carlj4ck / November 29, 2004 3:35 AM PST

oh any by the way i forgot to mention, its windows xp pro, toshiba tecra 9100, same message after restart, found new h/ware wiz, cannot find driver

Collapse -
by justmeflo / December 5, 2004 12:59 PM PST

I am using IE winxp and have a touch systems machine. I also have to look for a video controller(VGA compatible) but don't know where to look.
Could someone send me instructions to justmeflo@yahoo.com. I can not restore mine because I did a new install.

Collapse -
I also have the same problem
by Noah / December 21, 2004 11:36 AM PST

How did you solve it in the end? I'm at the end of my rope. Thanks. Efron@IAS.edu

Collapse -
I have that problem, too
by fran1326 / December 22, 2004 5:47 AM PST

Hello.

How did you solve the problem? I can't get those drivers.

My email: joss13@wanadoo.es

Thank you,

Fran

Collapse -
VGA slot.
by SylentStar / December 22, 2004 6:29 AM PST

I had the problem in the past, because a new VIDEO CARD was inserted in the VGA slot, not recognized by Windows.
It was easy for me to install the most RECENT drivers (for the video card) to solve the problem... ...or it was too easy, so it is not the solution ?

Happy

I don't remember well

Collapse -
I only reinstalled Windows
by fran1326 / December 22, 2004 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: VGA slot.

Thank you for replying.

I only installed Win Xp and i'm having some problems to watch Dvd. And the screen scrolling is a little slow.

Bye,

Fran

Collapse -
OK now ?
by SylentStar / December 22, 2004 8:10 AM PST

Did you fix the problem?
Did you try to just ignore the message about "VGA Compatible" (cancel), then you install your video card drivers and reboot immediately after ?

It worked for me, twice.

Happy

Collapse -
I don't have the drivers
by fran1326 / December 22, 2004 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: OK now ?

I don't have the drivers. I never needed those drivers.

Thanks a lot,

Bye.

Fran

Collapse -
That*s not the problem
by wbz1 / June 21, 2006 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: OK now ?

Problem is-when you get the dialog window for updating drivers, PC can*t find any drivers,although they are on the CD.The same thing is when you first try to install drivers-it comes with little message saying that there is no hardware found for that drivers.If anybody knows the solution please contact me on radoskov@yahoo.com, so we can discuss not only about this problem, but many themes.I*m from Montenegro, right now it*s the youngest country in the world, so send mails (:-))

Collapse -
by chuttao / January 30, 2005 8:31 AM PST

i have the same problem too.. and its really annoying, can someone help me with a solution too.. email munkie2k2@hotmail.com please..

Collapse -
no video controller (VGA compatible)???
by riojana / January 17, 2005 7:13 AM PST

I too have this same problem. It started when the Dell technician installed my third monitor for my laptop (the other two failed without warning). I am reluctant to use System Restore because the technician came by so long ago that I wouldn't remember a date to restore the system. I've tried to see if the Install Wizard will pick up one of the video drivers from the CDs given to me with purchase, but alas it does not. Any ideas? I use a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Windows XP. Thanks.

Collapse -
No Video Controller???
by Marielle / February 7, 2005 3:01 PM PST

I got exactly the same problem.Please let me know how to solve it. I'm not really good with computers. Thanks. Marielle0296@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Install the drivers needed
by SylentStar / February 7, 2005 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: No Video Controller???
Collapse -
THE FIX IS HERE!!!
by unstableassasin / May 2, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

I had the same problem when I was tampering with my firewall (ehhh.......) and the fix is very very easy. goto your device manager, click the yellow VGA compatible and right click. Click properties. goto driver tab and click on roll back driver. BAM it recognizes it. ^ ^

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.