AVG forum

Resolved Question

No Updates.

by chucker111 / July 18, 2012 1:30 AM PDT

I know a LOT of people are gonna read this and say,duh,that's old news,but,I've tried several things to no avail.My problem:Several times during a session on my Dell Inspiron Windows 7 Home Premium SP1,4GB Ram,500 GB HD,a box pops up from AVG.It says:file
Windows Syst32 services exe.threat:Trojan Horse Dropper Generic c.MMI.In the box it says ignore this threat,it will stay where it's at,without harming anything.It gives NO option to vault,or delete.Happens a LOT.I can still browse the net,and go to the sites I need to,BUT,I can't gain access to Windows Updates,or Windows Firewall.Says there is a problem,and Updates won't run at this time.Am I DOOMED,??

chucker111 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Updates.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Updates.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by chucker111

Collapse -
Re: No Updates
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / July 18, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: No Updates.

Hello chucker111,

The services.exe is a white-listed system file which cannot be removed (it is crucial for the system operation). It needs to be replaced with a clean copy, if it is infected. Please see this AVG Forums discussion thread. Please note that if the services.exe is detected with a PID number following the file name, there's no need to replace the file; the system may be infected by a rootkit in that case.

The update issue could not be related to the infection found. If it persist, after the infection is removed, please see this FAQ article. Should the update be non-functional after following the FAQ, please run AVG repair installation (instructions for AVG Free Edition | paid for versions).

Please let us know whether both the issues are resolved.

Thank you.

Collapse -
ALL INFO
by chucker111 / July 18, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: No Updates

File Name:c:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Threat Name:Trojan horse Dropper.Generic_c.MMI
AVG Resident Shield Alert:
Threat Detected:Ignore the Threat(only choice)
The identified file will remainin it's current locationon your disk.
To ensure you are protected,Resident Shield will not allow you
to acess files that are infected.
Process name:C:\Windows\System 32\Svchost.exe.
Details:Process ID:792.

This is everything that pops up.Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Above post should read System32,no space.
by chucker111 / July 18, 2012 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ALL INFO
Collapse -
No issues resolved.
by chucker111 / July 18, 2012 3:47 AM PDT

Thanks anyway.Don't wanna play too much with registry stuff.
My biggest concern is I can not receive WINDOWS updates.
Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
RE: No issues resolved
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / July 18, 2012 5:42 PM PDT
In reply to: No issues resolved.

Hello chucker111,

There's no need to play with the registry. Please replace the services.exe file with a clean copy as described in this how-to article (try B first, it's the most straightforward way).
After the files is replaced, please run AVG full computer scan as described here and remove any infection remnants found.

If the Windows Update functionality is not restored yet, make sure to use either DNS servers recommended by your Internet Service Provider or use some trusted public DNS servers, e.g. the Google Public DNS.
- More information on configuring DNS servers in your operating system can be found here.
Should the issue persist, please tell us exact wording of the error message displayed while trying to update Windows manually.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Thanks,but...
by chucker111 / July 19, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: No issues resolved

Thanks so much for your efforts,and your time.
This problem is a little advanced for my knowledge,or lack thereof.
I understand most of it,but some instructions that I follow don't work,
and then,I can't decide which way to go at that point.Gonna get help.
Thanks again for your time.Much Appreciated.

Collapse -
RE: Thanks,but...
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / July 23, 2012 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks,but...

Hello chucker111,

We are sorry for delayed answer.
Could you please be more specific which instructions does not work or are unclear. Please tell us what exact steps were followed and where's the point when the instructions are no longer possible to follow.
Is the infection still present? Does the Windows Update work correctly?

Thank you.

Collapse -
Ugh.!
by chucker111 / July 24, 2012 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Thanks,but...

It won't even do the scan typed into box.AND,no I still can NOT get to
Windows Updates.It says:sorry,this feature is not running.

Collapse -
RE: Ugh.!
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / July 24, 2012 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Ugh.!

Hi chucker111,

To be able to investigate the situation further, we need diagnostic data from your computer. Please provide us with an msinfo output and both GMER scan results.
This forum does not support file attachments, unfortunately. To be able to provide us with the data, please use the AVG service utility or a public data storage service as described here (paragraph B) or create a new discussion thread in AVG Forums.

Also, please clarify what's meant by "It won't even do the scan typed into box". The sfc /scannow results into no action? No error or informative message (a request for inserting a installation media, possibly) is displayed? If so, you could try replacing the services.exe file as indicated in paragraph A) of the previously linked article.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Clean reinstall.Problem solved.
by chucker111 / August 21, 2012 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Ugh.!

Thanks,JiriF,for all your suggestions.
Could never figure it out,so did the reinstall.
Thanks again for your time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.