Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No toolbar?

by st0rmed / February 28, 2007 7:42 AM PST

My brother decided to mess around with some settings and doesnt remember which and im stumped. I flat out just dont have a windows tool bar anymore. I can access most of the files through my computer but having a toolbar is nice. Im almost to the point of re-installing windows which would require me to buy a new one. Someone please save me the trouble of doing that by posting any info you might have.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No toolbar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No toolbar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also
by st0rmed / February 28, 2007 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: No toolbar?

Yea I thought I might add that im running XP Pro sp2. My comp is custom built so I cant help you out with a manufacture name.

Collapse -
(NT) Do you mean Toolbar or Taskbar on bottom of screen?
by DarCLew2 / February 28, 2007 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Also
Collapse -
Taskbar
by st0rmed / February 28, 2007 8:04 AM PST

I would mean the task bar sorry.

Collapse -
Answered by Grif in your other thread..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: Taskbar
Collapse -
Mmhmmm
by st0rmed / February 28, 2007 8:32 AM PST

Yea doesnt help. My taskbar isnt autohiding or just minimized down its gone completely. Like how you can look to the bottom of ur screen and see it theres simply nothing there for me.

Collapse -
Does it appear in Safe Mode?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Mmhmmm
Collapse -
(NT) It's not free
by tomron / February 28, 2007 9:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Taskbar Possible Fix
by Tufenuf / February 28, 2007 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Mmhmmm

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 117 (left column) and click on "Restore Taskbar and Start Menu" to download a reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
hmmm
by st0rmed / March 1, 2007 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: Taskbar Possible Fix

Ok so i managed to figure out my taskbar was minimized or something because i unlocked it and there was then enough room to grab and resize it. But one problem I hadnt mentioned that started occuring when my taskbar vanished on me is windows start up speed is horrible. It takes atleast twice as long as it use to for my windows to boot up. It will just sit at the loading windows screen for like 5 minutes. This is very unusual of my computer that is usually quite fast. I was wondering if there was a connection between the two happening at the same time or not. If so any solutions again. And thanks to all of you who attempted to help me with the taskbar. I liked kelly taskbar pro but her restore to default isnt accessable on the non-paid for ver. Right about now I would love to be restoring back to defaults lol.

Collapse -
Have You Tried a Sys Restore to Before problem or.....
by tobeach / March 1, 2007 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm

checkdisk/ R to correct sys file errors?
Are you sure he didn't install any programs/malware by accident/intent?
Usually, sudden slowing of OS is either malware or software conflicts.
Example 2 firewall or AV or background guards running at same time.

Have you checked Task Manager to se if something is running a huge amount of memory & what is it?

Is MS Auto Update running/downloading in background? Happy

Collapse -
Yea tried it
by st0rmed / March 3, 2007 2:50 AM PST

Sys restore tells me "System restore is not able to protect your computer, Please restart your computer and then run system restore again". Only problem being it always says that even after a re-boot. Not sure where checkdisk or w.e is and nothing stands out to me in the task manager. My comp usually only has about 10 processes and none of them use an excessive amount of mem. And I know he didnt install anything because he wasnt even on the net at the time. He simply was screwing around with the computer. And ty again but as I stated my taskbar is back to functioning again so the restore taskbar to default option isnt going to help my current problem. But if theres a way I can restore my comp to a previously saved spot (im not even sure there is a previous save, I recently bought this comp from a freind so i suppose I could ask him) that would be a great place to start. If not any possible solutions that havent been offered would be a start. Thanks again for all of your time.

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / March 3, 2007 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Yea tried it
Collapse -
Re: Restore Taskbar to XP Default
by Tufenuf / March 1, 2007 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm

st0rmed, Go to the link below and click on "Restore to XP Default * (clickable)" and download the vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

It appears that it is downloadable.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
toolbars
by singlesharmony / October 25, 2010 2:15 PM PDT

hey guys I'm new here and looking to see if anyone could give me some advice? I created a toolbar from conduit.com to promote a site I created. I was wondering if anyone new how I could promote the thing onle and get people to download it. Is there a site I can upload the toolbar to where people looking for free download of toolbars would be? Or can i upload it to this site and let people download it free?
my Name is brian.

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove email address to prevent abuse and to prevent spam harvester from picking it up. on 10/26/2010 on 9:06 AM PT

Collapse -
That email address
by MDFlax / October 25, 2010 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: toolbars

Posting your email address in public forums such as these is not a good idea.

Spam bots trawl forums for email addresses so they can then be sent spam emails.

If you want CNET to test and consider your app you could visit Upload.com then create an account and upload it there.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.