PC Applications forum

General discussion

No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6

by armorise / March 2, 2004 1:35 AM PST

I finally got my computer online and windows update to actually work! Yes, that's great news, but when I updated Internet Explorer 5.5 to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 which included the update to Outlook Express 5 up to Outlook Express 6. When I had the update install, after downloading the 400 some K program, I selected to download the normal files (all) and installation was successful. Now when I try to type an email, and then check the spelling since I make alot of typos, I noticed thet the check spelling icon was grayed out; even in the drop down menu in the message window. I tried highlighting the entire email (which did not have an images, if that could have affected it) and tried to spell check, and all places where spell check is found were all grayed out. I don't like looking stupid with obvious errors, but I guess I'm just too lazy to check it by hand.... see what technology does!
Please give me some insight if you can. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2004 2:29 AM PST

You haven't missed a thing. The OS and IE/OE never came with the spell checker. Microsoft only installs the spelling check when you install a compatible Office product.

If you have installed such and the spell checking failed, then have your Office product CD handy and in the Control Panel, Add/remove software, add/remove that software and take its offer to repair.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
by Tufenuf / March 2, 2004 3:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
by Mary Kay / March 27, 2004 1:21 AM PST

Thanks for the link. I actually have hot mail and it works here too

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
by fp40ky / April 4, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

Also If purchase microsoft's Works Suite 2004 the your spell checker will work as but you must have Microsoft Word 2000 and up for ur spell checker to work.

Collapse -
Spell Check OE 6
by yazzy1123 / July 10, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Outlook Express No Spell Check
by Al Whitmire / November 27, 2007 12:28 PM PST

Hi There,
Thanks for the information from everyone.
I have IE-7 and my spell checking in Outlook Express quit working.
Also have MS Office 97 on my machine.
I downloaded the free spell checker from Major Geeks site, installed it and like magic the spell check function in OE started working again. Do not know how many words are in the dictionary as it did not suggest alternate spelling for common words but perhaps it will all work out now. Thanks again
Al whitmire

Collapse -
No spell check in outlook
by veevenka / November 12, 2008 1:36 AM PST

Larry your solution rocks

Thanks a lot

Veerni

Collapse -
Outlook Express 6 Spell Check
by andypete / April 9, 2009 11:51 PM PDT

We downloaded that spell check program for Major Geeks and it froze the send function on our Outlook. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Andypete

Collapse -
100% Perfect
by 1downloader2010 / July 8, 2010 5:54 AM PDT

Thank you! This was a perfect fix. The download was complete within seconds. I went directly to my email and seen the icon was no longer gray and it worked! I recommend this fix to everyone!

Collapse -
by hokienet / April 4, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

I have Outlook Express 6 and I have spell check and it works just fine. I believe it is a function of MS Word and there is a way to turn it on. Go to your help files, or MS Help Web site, or Langa.com.

Collapse -
by dpuhl / April 5, 2004 3:42 AM PDT

To solve this problem, you need to obtain a copy of the missing
file csapi3t1.dll and place it in the folder
"Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof".

After have done this, you may need to restart Windows. You
should also verify that "Always check spelling" is enabled in
Tools, Options, Spelling.

The missing csapi3t1.dll file is included with Windows XP,
it simply isn't installed by default. You can install it from
the i386 folder on your Windows XP CD. (If you don't have a
Windows XP CD, your computer manufacturer should have created
an i386 folder somewhere on your hard disk.)

To use the version provided with Windows XP, click on Start,
Run, then type:

expand d:\i386\csapi3t1.dl_ c:\csapi3t1.dll

and click OK (if necessary, replace "d:\i386" with the true
path of your i386 folder.) A command window should flash up
on your screen and then vanish. Now look for the file in the
C:\ root folder using Windows Explorer, and move it to
Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof using drag
and drop. If you use this method, be sure to get the filename
correct (the end of the filename is number three, letter T,
number one.)

Collapse -
Re: No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6
by tom2010 / March 31, 2005 10:37 PM PST

Thanks dpuhl, your solution allows spellcheck in Outlook Express 6 without the need for Word. The best post to fix the problem.

Collapse -
no spell ck on o.e.
by schoener / July 1, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

ok, I have done everything dpuhl said, but when I get to step of dragging csapi3T1 folder to Program Files\common files\Microsoft Shared\Proof, I cannot find 'Proof' file--evrything else matches exactly what dpuhl said to do! Any input out there?

Collapse -
Fixing OE No Spell with Free Spellchecker Download
by Joel, Just Joel / January 16, 2006 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: no spell ck on o.e.

For the record, my situation was same as last post -- could not find the .../Proof directory, so I created one and copied the DLL there. Still no good even after reboot. Seems like a spellchecker must be installed. Looked further on web and found this, which fixed it for me:

''There is a free download spell checker here http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2952&cat=10
That works just great. I use it myself.''

I have downloaded from MajorGeeks.com before and trust them. Other free spellcheckers for OE are available online, but I have not checked them out. Oh, note that you may also need to copy the DLL to the Proof directory at some point. I had already done that before installing the spellchecker.

Happy Trails,
Joel

Collapse -
Fixing OE No Spell with Free Spellchecker Download
by damn76 / June 14, 2006 3:30 PM PDT

All I have to say is.... Thank goodness I finally found this forum. The d/l you posted here joel worked perfectly for me. I could of swore I had Works or Suite in my pc.... but since they are something I never use I finally realised I didn't. Only because I did a search on why I had no spell check in OE. It was so annoying. Thanks so much for the info.

Collapse -
fixing no spell check
by victory30584 / July 13, 2009 12:18 AM PDT

I have followed the link provided in your post, but Geek web site is very confusing. I clicked on a couple of download links but didn't get anywhere. What am I missing?

Collapse -
still no spell check
by BRUCE KUNZE / September 25, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

I have tried your fix and spell check still is not working.
Any outher thoughts I have a XP 64-bit sys if that maters.

Collapse -
Locking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2008 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: still no spell check
Collapse -
Unlocking. "Microsoft tells you it doesn't work"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2008 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: still no spell check

Just for closure, Microsoft tells us it doesn't work. Here's the text in case they remove their download document.

"What existing functionality is changing in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?

Spell Checking
Detailed description
Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
What works differently?
Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you try to check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking Spelling on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7. "

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21d930dd-8160-4e43-95d2-f5c3a9037e68&displaylang=en&Hash=QR6DBM4

Collapse -
by Roy F Grant / April 5, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

There is a freeware program for a Spell Checker for outlook express. The Dictionary is american english but I have found the program excellent.

Collapse -
by X-CEO / April 5, 2004 5:13 PM PDT

I suggest you go to Outlook Express and click on TOOLS. Scroll to the bottom and click Options. A window of options will pop up. Click spelling and check the two top items. You can choose to check or uncheck options on this page. Now click apply. Now you are ready to create your message. When you are finished typing click TOOLS at the top of your e-mail before sending. This is the way to be sure everything is copasetic.

Collapse -
by whitesnakelady / April 7, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

Try installing Office 2000(min) with Word 2000 in because the spellchecker only works with a version of Word. If you already have Office installed try running a repair from the Help button, that should fix it.

WhitesnakeLady

Collapse -
Tried: ieSpell?
by Mosonnow / April 7, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

Donationware at:

www.iespell.com

This was recommended to me by Coryphaeus about 18 months ago and works fine with my IE6.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
ieSpell
by janelimb / March 27, 2005 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Tried: ieSpell?

If you make an error before sending email, does this program let you know? I noticed that this is "donationware". What is the cost of the program? Will it work with Windows 98? Is it available by download? Please reply to janel@powercom.net Thank you.

Collapse -
Spell Check, Armorise
by taboma. / March 31, 2005 3:30 PM PST

Spell Check, Armorise

Armorise, I will leave all the fixes for Lookout to the experts.
This may sound really simple stupid:
(KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid) in what I do.
At work, I copy my text message into a Word doc, do spell check and paste everything back to my email. Fast and efficient with no typos.
I also do that with my posts to this forum. Not in the Message body, but copy the text in the preview message. Find a typo in word, correct it, copy and paste back into the Message body.
Why do I do this? CNET Forum does not have spell check!

Try it out some time. Works for me all the time.

Did just that now and I had a typo on this post. Spelled Forum??Forun.? Corrected it in Word and pasted the wole thing back into the Message body.

Typo primer from the worst typist in the world. :?)

Kevin
Posted by: taboma Posted on: 03/31/2005

Collapse -
No Spell Check in Outlook "Express 6
by inkeeper4 / March 31, 2005 6:27 PM PST

Go into Tools>Options and under the Spelling Tab palce a check mark in "Always check spelling before sending"

Collapse -
No Spell Check in Outlook Express 6?
by Jayne L. Wells / March 31, 2005 7:27 PM PST

I have OE6 and have always had Spell Check but I did not upgrade OE - OE6 came with my PC.

A few things to check (from the MSDN):

1) Outlook Express spell checker gets cancelled when Visual Basic 6 or Access 97 is running:
When you post a message, if Microsoft Visual Basic 6 or Microsoft Access 97 is also running, Outlook Express reports that the spelling checker was cancelled. When you post messages to newsgroups, make sure that you do not have Visual Basic 6 or...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282807

2) Spelling checker does not run on message in Outlook Express 5:
When you try to check the spelling in a message in Outlook Express 5, 5.01, or 5.5, you may receive the following error message: An error occurred while the spelling was being checked. When you click Send , and the Always check spelling before...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224176

3) OLEXP: Spelling and Grammar Options Not Available in Outlook Express 5:
When you are spell checking a message in Outlook Express 5, the Options button may be unavailable. The Options button should allow you to choose options for spelling, grammar, and custom dictionaries. This functionality works when you are spell...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232950

4) OLEXP: Spell Check Unavailable in Outlook Express 4.0 After Installing Office 2000:
After you install Outlook Express 4.x, and then install Microsoft Office 2000, the spell checker tool in Outlook Express may be unavailable. This issue can occur because the proofing tools included with Office 2000 are not compatible with Outlook...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;220512

* Check the customized way your spelling checker works, on the Tools menu, click Options, and then select the Spelling tab. That have may be a problem.

* Try the Outlook Express keyboard shortcuts: Check spelling "F7" in Message window ? sending only. Maybe you can't access via the icon, but the Spell Check is running in the background.

I do find OE support frustrating since it is still considered BETA (which has minimal support). Most likely because it is free with Windows (vs. Outlook being in the Office Suite).

Good Luck!

Jayne

Collapse -
No Spell check Outlook Express
by Carol1948 / March 31, 2005 9:44 PM PST

I had to purchase a microsoft word program to enable the spell check in Outlook express
Carol

Collapse -
Another Option - Thunderbird
by chesswife / March 31, 2005 11:13 PM PST

If all else fails, (or just to try something new), try Thunderbird, found at mozilla.org It comes with spell checking (has worked fine for me), and is free.

Collapse -
Spell Check Relief for IEx.
by Tom Hester / April 2, 2005 12:13 AM PST

I would like to suggest reviewing www.iespell.com.

This is a functional free spell checker that is located on the tool bar. It also can be used on other text like "postings" on message boards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.