TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

No sound with HDMI between Explorer 4250HD and Vizio TV

by mklcan / January 2, 2009 2:13 AM PST

Hi. I am trying to determine if this is a known issue but haven't been able to find anything in the forums. Maybe someone here can help?

I get video but NO SOUND when I connect the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD digital box to a Vizio LCD HDTV using HDMI cable. The same HDMI cable and port works fine when connected from the TV to my DVD player, or from the 4250HD to my old Toshiba tv. The Vizio and 4250HD also work fine together when connected by component cable. But I can't get sound to work with HDMI and I've tried everything.

Since the HDMI connection works fine with the TV and another device, and with the 4250HD and another TV, I'm thinking the devices themselves are not the problem, but it's a communication problem between these two specific devices.

Does anyone know if there is a known issue with connecting an 4250HD terminal with a Vizio TV through HDMI? Here are the settings that I've tried:
- Audio set to variable and volume tested
- 4250HD audio output set to "HDMI"
- 4250HD video set to "1080i"
- 4250HD rebooted after HDMI cables connected first

Note that if I simply pull the HDMI cable from the Vizio tv and reconnect it to my old Toshiba tv, the sound works no problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound with HDMI between Explorer 4250HD and Vizio TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound with HDMI between Explorer 4250HD and Vizio TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem also with HDMI and Explorer 4250HD
by PB7346 / January 11, 2009 10:14 PM PST

I also have problems when connecting a HDMI cable to an Explorer 4250HD. I cannot have my TV volume controlled by the remote control of the Explorer, but I can when I use a component cable. And I noticed last night that the image changed from having too much yellow to too much red within 5 minutes of the same program. I intend to check if this change in colors will come back. I wander if the cable or the Explorer is the problem ? I have a Prolink cable. PB.

Collapse -
HDMI problem between Vizio and Explorer 4250HDC box
by hokiemo / October 14, 2011 11:09 AM PDT

I was certain there was a handshake issue between my sister-in-laws new Vizio and her Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC box with Cox. Fortunately, the problem was solved by pressing the settings button on the Cox remote and then selecting the "A" button for more settings and then scrolling to audio digital out. It was set to Dolby Digital. By switching it to HDMI the problem was solved.

Thanks to those who responded to this thread that got me pointed in the right direction. I was about reading to pull the entertainment console out and start reworking the cables.

Collapse -
HDMI problem between Vizio and Cox HD Scientific Atlanta box
by monty85254 / November 14, 2011 11:05 AM PST

Thanks Hokiemo. Worked fine with the component cable but not the HDMI. After removing the component cables and hooked up the HDMI cable went into the Cox Remote and selected Settings then the "A" button for more settings. Scrolled down to Audio Digital out. Mine was also set to Dolby Digital. Note: HDMI won't be a choice unless you have it connected. Select HDMI and it worked great.

Collapse -
HDMI problem Vizio to 4250HD SOLVED
by Hagalaz2 / December 26, 2011 2:10 AM PST

Thanks hokiemo, the audio out setting worked perfectly!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for posting!!!!
by Locomouse / February 18, 2012 2:32 PM PST
Collapse -
OMG thx
by mrg222 / March 24, 2012 1:44 PM PDT

thank you, I just bought my TV and couldn't get sound. I was going crazy!

Collapse -
5 seconds and done
by ctexaswade / July 25, 2012 2:54 PM PDT

thank you hokiemo! Bam!

Collapse -
Thank you so much!!!
by imasunshin / August 5, 2012 4:04 PM PDT

I have to join the line up of people seriously indebted to you! I was beyond frustrated....and pissed....and ready to take my cable box back to Cox. ...Instead, 5 seconds and wallaa! Done!

Thank you Hokiemo!

Collapse -
I'm having the exact same issue
by liknexp / August 28, 2009 3:41 PM PDT

I'm having the exact same issue with the exact same combination. Mine is a SV420XVT and a 4250HD box. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Thank you.

Collapse -
No audio when 4250HD connected to Dynex TV
by jjmartin1340 / December 2, 2009 2:45 PM PST

I just bought a Dynex 40" TV and rented a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HD to use with it. If I connect the units with HDMI cable, no sound. The component connection (R-G-B and R-W) works ok. If I connect a DVD player to the TV with HDMI cable, it works ok. I have repklaced both the TV and the cable box, no change. This sounds like the problem you had. Did you find an answer?

Collapse -
Same issue with Motorola DVR
by estotz / December 18, 2009 4:15 AM PST

I bought a new Vizio TV and have the same issue with a Comcast Motorola DVR. When I go from a "normal" channel to a HD channel, there is no sound. In order to get sound I have to change the Vizio input by going from HDMI1, HDMI2 ... back to HDMI1 and the TV then finds the audio. It is quite annoying and I have two other TV's (a Sony and a cheap Envision) where I have no issues with receiving audio via HDMI with a Comcast box.

If anyone else has this issue, and has found a solution, please let me know.

Collapse -
I have that problem too!
by volvogirl / December 18, 2009 5:47 AM PST

Been meaning to ask this in the forumn for a long time. Glad it came up.

I have a Sony KDL 37XBR6 and a Comcast Pace RNG110 HD box. Sometime when I go from a standard channel to a HD channel I lose the sound. So I change the channel like up one and back down for it to come in. I don't know if is it the TV or the cable box? I hope it's not my new Sony TV! WHICH IS IT? or the HDMI cable?

Collapse -
no sound with HDMI
by jjmartin1340 / December 18, 2009 6:17 AM PST

Looks like lots of TVs and digital boxes just don't know how to get synchronized with HDMI. I am resigned to using the Component connection (RGB cables + RW cables).

Collapse -
Vizio 55" XVT TV--HD Sound Issues
by staydry / January 28, 2010 1:32 PM PST

I just bought a VIZIO VF551XVT 55" HD TV . I hooked it to a Motorola Cable box using an HDMI cable-provider is COX cable.

I too am having the same issues. If I go from a standard def to high def channel I lose the sound. If I flip to another HD channel sometimes the sound comes back sometimes it does not. Even if it does come back it's not back for all HD channels. UNLESS I turn the TV on/off OR switch modes on the TV in some way (one way is to push he "media" button on the TV remote).

I went through every menu and cable connection with the COX rep. Then I did the same with the VIZIO tech support. Neither of them had an answer for me.

If I hook it up with component cables it works fine. However I finally got HD after years of waiting and I do not want to settle for less quality. I also don't want to lug that huge TV back to the store...ugh Sad

If ANYONE has any suggestions or knows of a solution...please post.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Same problem, different equipment
by jjmartin1340 / January 28, 2010 11:15 PM PST

I have a Dynex 40" tv and a Scientific Atlanta cable box. No sound using HDMI, no matter what I do. I am resigned to using Component cables. By switching back and forth between Component and HDMI input on the TV, I can see the picture is slightly better on HDMI. Plugging my up-converting DVD Player into the TV HDMI input, sound is ok, so the TV is ok. The sound problem always seems to be with the cable box. Wonder if Motorola and Scientific Atlanta use the same chipset??

Collapse -
Sounds issues
by estotz / January 31, 2010 5:38 AM PST

I also contacted Vizio support, got one email which was of no use and then was ignored on my followup.

It's seems Vizio doesn't seem to give a care to this issue, and can't make a suggestion as to how it can be rectified. Not a good first impression I have after years of buying only Sony products.

I was going to buy additional Vizio products because I was happy with the picture, but I am going to hold off on future purchases until there is resolution or someone from Vizio support suggests something.

I would suggest you do not buy a Vizio product unless you are prepared to be absolutely frustrated by this. Vizio support, if you are reading this, what do you suggest? Please help some of your customers here.

Collapse -
Vizio HDTV No SOund on HD channels...sometimes
by staydry / February 1, 2010 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds issues

This is a follow up to my earlier post re: my new Vizio TV and new HD cable box (Motorola). The cable guys came out today and tried EVERYTHING that I had already tried and went through all of the menus for the TV and the cable box again and again. He could find nothing wrong and no reason for what was happening.

As a last ditch attempt he replaced the cable box. He had already tried an identical box...this time he tried the previous model of the Motorola HD cable box. IT WORKED! I have sound on ALL channels. I don't lose sound when I switch between SD and HD channels. So If you are having this issue...get your cable provider to give you an older cable box. It just might work!

After trying just about everything to fix the problem....I was convinced it was the Vizio...I'm glad it was not. The picture is FANTASTIC and the price was a terrific!

Collapse -
Hmmmmm
by estotz / February 5, 2010 6:43 AM PST

I guess I may try to "downgrade" my DVR then. I have two DVR's, so will try the older one on my Vizio and let you know if that fixes the issue.

THe newer Comcast DVR I have has more capacity, so I am a little leery replacing it if I don't have to.

Collapse -
Downgrading DVR worked
by estotz / April 5, 2010 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm

I finaly broke down and had Comcast come out. It looks like either the newer version Motorola DVRs have issues, or just my particular box. The newer version was a black DCX3400. Comcast downgraded the DVR to the older silver model and it works fine with HDMI.

The newer version DCX3400 DID work with component cables. So .... if you have a newer model Motorola DVR you have two options:

1. use component out and possibly suffer with not the best possible picture you could have with 1080p.
2. downgrade to the older model DVR and not have as much capability (e.g. the storage on the older model is at least half, maybe 25%. Not sure of the hard drive size, but it is at least half the size of the newer model).

I suspect the issue will be fixed with firmware or hardware changes in the future, so maybe wait six months and get it replaced. The Comcast tech mentioned that the newer model DVRs are only available at the Comcast physical locations and they didn't even have access to them yet.

Collapse -
One solution to Vizio audio problem
by gweiman / April 24, 2010 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm

I had the same issue as several people on this thread. I just purchased a Vizio SV370XVT (Vizio 37" from Costco) and pickup up the latest Comcast Motorola cable box - the DCX3400. When I went from many of the HD channels to non-HD or other HD channels - I would lose the sound and have to switch from HDNU to another input and back to HDMI again on the TV remote. That's what led me to this thread where I was considering swappling cable boxes with my older one in the other room. But then I went into the Motorola setup options and found that the option for sound was set to "Auto". I reset it to 'PCM' and it FIXED THE PROBLEM. I hope this works for other people with this same issue.

Collapse -
No sound on HD channel 7 HD
by dbziprealty / February 9, 2010 9:10 AM PST

"""""""I just bought a VIZIO VF551XVT 55" HD TV . I hooked it to a Motorola Cable box using an HDMI cable-provider is COX cable.

I too am having the same issues. If I go from a standard def to high def channel I lose the sound. If I flip to another HD channel sometimes the sound comes back sometimes it does not. Even if it does come back it's not back for all HD channels. UNLESS I turn the TV on/off OR switch modes on the TV in some way (one way is to push he "media" button on the TV remote).""""""""

I having same problem with same tv. but only on one channel. Cable connected from the wall directly to TV. I've spent an hour today between Vizio and Comcast tech. support.
My solution to that is a "MTS" button on the remote control. You Have to push it twice. This sets up sound to "English 5.1 HD". I'm guessing this info is programed and transmitted in the video and audio digital signal. For some reason it set wrong way at the source.
Try it. I hope it helps.

Collapse -
No sound on Vizio 551
by dbziprealty / February 9, 2010 2:04 PM PST

Try to reset MTS: Menu - TV - MTS.
MTS should be "English 5.1 HD"

Good luck.

Collapse -
No sound switching on HD channels
by rstaley_1 / March 1, 2010 7:46 AM PST

Do you know if this MTS button fixes the issue for all stations or did you have to do it after each channel change and will it fix the stations that I have set for auto recording?

Collapse -
Vizio sound problem
by rstaley_1 / March 2, 2010 1:01 PM PST

I just did the Component cable tonight and it worked !! The MTS thing does not change anything on my TV. I also talked to a lady at Comcast today that confirmed it is an issue with the new Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes and they are working on it but it is not a quick fix. No details as to what exactly was wrong, something to do with the new programming on the newer model boxes. I am going to see if they can get me an older box since I now know it is not the TV.

Collapse -
Look at previous postings
by Locomouse / February 18, 2012 2:31 PM PST

Hi Staydry,
I also bought the same TV and was having the same issue until I read the posting from hokiemo I went ahead and copied the posting and paste it here for you to read. I had to do the change on my HD box from settings. Just make sure you have your HDMI connected otherwise it won't pick it up on your cable box. This solve my problem on my VIzio.

HDMI problem between Vizio and Explorer 4250HDC box by hokiemo - 10/14/11 6:09 PM In Reply to: Problem also with HDMI and Explorer 4250HD by PB7346 I was certain there was a handshake issue between my sister-in-laws new Vizio and her Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC box with Cox. Fortunately, the problem was solved by pressing the settings button on the Cox remote and then selecting the "A" button for more settings and then scrolling to audio digital out. It was set to Dolby Digital. By switching it to HDMI the problem was solved.Thanks to those who responded to this thread that got me pointed in the right direction. I was about reading to pull the entertainment console out and start reworking the cables.

Collapse -
Picture, no sound using HDMI
by MyAxman / February 22, 2010 10:05 AM PST

Bought a Vizio sv471xvt1a from Tigerdirect and a Atlanta Scientific 4250 Rogers converter. I get great picture with HDMI but no sound. Called Rogers who said it must be a defective HDMI port. Before I do I ant to check with our readers

Collapse -
Manual writes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 10:18 AM PST
Collapse -
no HDMI sound from 4250HD cable box
by jjmartin1340 / February 22, 2010 12:18 PM PST

I had Rogers out for several hours. No change. One strange thing - there IS sound on HDMI out when the box is tuned to ch. 998! The tech said this is the only channel that the box receives as analog. Since the 4250HD is the only box Rogers supplies, I'm stuck with using the Component outputs.

Collapse -
Atlanta Scientific 4250
by MyAxman / March 2, 2010 6:55 PM PST

I'm now on my 3rd cable box with no result. The cable technician said he's not seen this problem before. He's scouting around for a PACE box with HDMI support.

Collapse -
Pace boxes
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2010 1:00 AM PST

Keep in mind the Pace boxes are also no picnic. YMMV. FWIW, I'm on my third one now (Comcast, SD pace box in a second room) for issues related to the iGuide software/corruption of DVR content on the HDD.

Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.