TVs & Home Theaters forum

No Sound using sound bar on Netflix

by msg65 / February 9, 2012 3:16 AM PST

I just bought a Samsung smart tv UN55D8000 and i tried streaming with Netflx and no sound came out of my sound bar. My using HDMI from my directv box to the tv and optical from my tv to my sound bar. I do not have this problem with my old samsung UN55D7000 which is also a smart tv. I called samsung and helped me reset my tv but still not working until they said they cannot do anything about it. I called netflix and they said same thing. Other apps is working and have sound on my sound including Pandora, Blockbuster, Hulu and all other BUT NOT netflix. PLEASE HElp!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sound using sound bar on Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sound using sound bar on Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Please add audio connection, encoding settings, firmware....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 3:23 AM PST
Collapse -
by msg65 / February 9, 2012 3:25 AM PST

Audio connection is optical from tv to sound bar. sound setting is PCM. dont know where i can find firmware.

Collapse -
Could be that old firmware bug. Try THIS!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: connections
Collapse -
by msg65 / February 9, 2012 3:39 AM PST

Bob, I called samsung and they said i have the latest firmware and netflix helped me deactivate and activate my account but still no sound. I tried playing Pandora hoping it will fix it but to no avail. Dont know what to do anymore.

Collapse -
Call it in as a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: firmware

Frankly I'd return the set if they can't make it work with say, a Samsung HT.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Just for completeness. No audio even from the TV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 4:01 AM PST
Collapse -
by msg65 / February 9, 2012 5:10 AM PST

There is audio using TV speakers

All Answers

Collapse -
Sound bar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Had the same problem - easy solution
by thetick9 / January 28, 2013 2:12 AM PST

The signal from Netflix comes from the internet, not your cable. So you need a way to get the modem signal to your sound bar. My LG tv has an optical digital OUT plug so I just plugged that into the optical digital IN plug on my sound bar - actually, the plug is on the bass unit for my sound bar (Samsung HW-E550). Problem solved.

Collapse -
SOLVED: How to get external audio on Samsung Apps
by PhilJonesCRS / June 17, 2014 9:17 AM PDT

The problem: Samsung Smart TV apps would only give sound through the tinny TV speakers. There was no way to get sound to a receiver of or external speakers. All cabling solutions including ARC and optical cable were tried.

The solution: After 5 hours of search this forum and others, nothing worked. Finally used chat on Samsung's support page. 1.5 hours later:

George M: I will provide you with the steps to reset the complete TV.
George M: The TV will get back to factory defaults after the reset.
George M: Go to Menu>>Support>>Self Diagnosis>>Reset. The default pin will be 0000.

This did it. Everything works fine. Because everything was wiped, I had to reset the speakers as external and output as digital (optical). Also had to have password info for Netflix, etc., as I had wiped everything!

Happiness. After 6.5 hours, this was the ONLY thing that actually worked. When in doubt (on ANY type of computer), REBOOT. In this case, reset to defaults.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.