Mac OS forum

General discussion

No Sound Line In after 10.5.8 combo update

by greg padgett / August 18, 2009 2:29 PM PDT

Power PC 17" Powerbook, 1.67 speed, 1GB Ram, 9GB available, stay up with all updates...all of a sudden only Internal Microphone and Digital In appear. Did Permissions before and after update, tested with plugs in and plugs out of line in and line out, so Whassup?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sound Line In after 10.5.8 combo update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sound Line In after 10.5.8 combo update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible that the audio card is fried?
by BeatleMegaFan / August 18, 2009 3:35 PM PDT

My MacBook Pro is running 10.5.8. I use my Line-In port on a daily basis, and I've not noticed any hiccups whatsoever. Did you switch audio input drivers in something like Garageband? Have you tried restarting the machine? Have you been able to get any sound coming in at all? On another note, what does Digital In do for you? What are you trying to use the input for? The info may help us reach a conclusion.

I use a little utility called LineIn to route incoming audio straight through my speakers. I like it; it gets audio out of my Xbox for me hearing pleasure, so to speak. Why not download it and see if it registers any audio levels on its little meter? It's a bit late, so forgive me if my simplistic method doesn't work. Good luck.

-BMF

Collapse -
Line In Issue 10.5.8 update
by trunksup / August 20, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

Hey thanks, but a buddy suggested I check my prefs in iChat. Sure enough...THERE was a line in. When I clicked on the iChat Line In...and went to regular System Preferences, the "Internal Mic" was gone, but finally, there was my Line In.

I haven't checked to see if my internal mic comes back in when I go to audio iChat, but I got the job done with my voice over work! Thanks!

Collapse -
Glad you got it working
by BeatleMegaFan / August 20, 2009 9:19 AM PDT

I remember back when I used OS 10.4, both iChat and Garageband liked to mess with my audio settings every so often. Nowadays, more people I know use Facebook than IM services, so I don't use iChat too much. I use my line-in port for recording and passing through audio to my speakers, so it's important to keep it running for me. Feel free to ask if it keeps disappearing. Be sure to check for system updates periodically, as Apple has been issuing a handful for various applications lately.

-BMF

Collapse -
ichat sound preferences is the ticket
by lui-g-79 / August 26, 2009 5:48 AM PDT

hey thanks guys! ichat sound preferences is the ticket.

Collapse -
ichat sound preferences is the ticket!
by lui-g-79 / August 26, 2009 5:54 AM PDT

thanks guys! ichat sound preferences is the ticket!

Collapse -
THANK YOU TRUNKSUP
by j447 / August 31, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

For your suggestion, never would have figured out that in a million years. Just bought a music keyboard and was looking to try it on an effects processor and all of the stupid line in didn't work but your suggestio fixed it, thanks for getting me going.

Collapse -
iChat - Audio Midi Setup
by redfernpaul1_dotmac / December 16, 2009 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: THANK YOU TRUNKSUP

When you are changing iChat settings, what you are actually doing is changing settings in Audio-Midi Setup (in Utilities)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.