Samsung forum

General discussion

No sound from Samsung TV Apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc)

by split2112 / November 1, 2010 5:41 AM PDT

I have a new Samsung LED un46c6800 with Samsung Apps. I have a Yamaha AV Receiver (rx-v663) that is connected to the TV via HDMI. All of my peripherals are connect to the Receiver, including Klipsch speakers. Sound works fine on the TV, but when I try to play a YouTube video/Netflix movie/Pandora from the Samsung Apps, the sound from the TV (last channel I was on) continues to play and I hear no sound from the apps. Please help!

I'd prefer not to have to run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver due to the fact that the TV is mounted and I'd have to run another cable through the wall.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound from Samsung TV Apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound from Samsung TV Apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 1, 2010 8:10 AM PDT

split2112,

How is the TVs audio connected to the receiver currently? 3.5mm to RCA male?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by split2112 / November 1, 2010 10:10 AM PDT

Just the subwoofer is 3.5mm to RCA Male. The actual speakers are directly connected to the Receiver via the black and red speaker wires. TV is connected to the Receiver via HDMI.

Collapse -
No sound from Samsung TV Apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc) -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 2, 2010 4:22 AM PDT

split2112,

If you're going through a receiver, try changing the audio options. I'm wondering if you've got the TV set to PCM or bitstream, and if that's being passed or processed properly though the receiver.

Optical may be the best option in this situation, although you noted that you wanted to avoid this setup. I'm not sure why you still hear the channel from the TV unless your cable/sat box is leading directly in, and the audio isn't coming from the TV.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by split2112 / November 2, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

Upon further research, I think I do need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the Receiver. However, I am still not sure how the receiver will know to switch from the cable box audio input (HDMI) to the TV audio input (optical) when I go from watching Cable to the Samsung Apps. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
same problem here
by gregparrott / September 3, 2011 12:33 AM PDT

I tried optical cable... didnt help !!.there has to be a simple setting on tv or hook up, and ive been to all the big chain stores and No one can tell me, even samsung !! notice the stores dont have the tv set up through receivers , but sound bars !! I know people arent paying for netflix and apps on these new tv and listening to the crappy tv speakers ! we neep help.. thinking of returning my new 55 inch samsung smart tv because this is ridiculous !!

Collapse -
Sorry to read that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem here

Other sets do that too unless ARC is working. ARC in my experience is not a sure thing so we use the optical link at times. Be sure to call in and ask how to get it to send over that for these apps.
Bob

Collapse -
same problem here
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 6, 2011 2:21 AM PDT

gregparrott,

Collapse -
Same problem here. Found solution.
by jeffinchesapeake / September 27, 2011 10:11 AM PDT

I have the same problem. Wanted to watch Netflix through my home surround sound system. Couldn't get the sound to work, so I bought an AppleTV. Tried again today and turned to the owner's manual of my Pioneer receiver. I have my television connected to the HDMI Out on my receiver. The owner's manual says in order to hear sound from your television, you must connect audio cables from the tv to the receiver.

Collapse -
Sound for Samsung apps on Samsung Smart TV
by PhilJonesCRS / June 16, 2014 4:58 AM PDT

1. Hook up set-top box or satellite box to TV with hdmi
2. Hook up TV to Sound Bar using Optical Cable (sound only)
3. After HOURS on the internet and two hours on chat, the ONLY thing to do is:

Reset your entire TV to factory defaults, which will update firmware at the same time!!

My TV: UN46ES7500 My soundbar: Monitor Audio ASB-2

Instructions from George M at Samsung chat:

George M: I will provide you with the steps to reset the complete TV.
George M: The TV will get back to factory defaults after the reset.
George M: Go to Menu>>Support>>Self Diagnosis>>Reset. The default pin will be 0000. (Yours may be different)

4. Since you have now re-set EVERYTHING, you will have to go back to setup and change to External Speakers and Optical out. On your soundbar, you will have to specify that Optical is the source of sound.

5. Then, since you have wiped everything clean, you will have to loggin to Netflix, etc. with your loggin info.

After hours yesterday on the internet and 2 hours on Samsung chat today, this is what finally worked. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING else worked.

Hopefully this will solve your problems!

Collapse -
Help
by baldy628 / November 16, 2011 4:59 AM PST

Greg, Were you able to fix this problem?

Collapse -
yes
by gregparrott / January 8, 2012 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: Help

optical cabe works with apps.. may need to make setting on your reciever to auto

Collapse -
Sound for Samsung Apps on Samsung Smart TV
by PhilJonesCRS / June 16, 2014 4:57 AM PDT

1. Hook up set-top box or satellite box to TV with hdmi
2. Hook up TV to Sound Bar using Optical Cable (sound only)
3. After HOURS on the internet and two hours on chat, the ONLY thing to do is:

Reset your entire TV to factory defaults, which will update firmware at the same time!!

My TV: UN46ES7500 My soundbar: Monitor Audio ASB-2

Instructions from George M at Samsung chat:

George M: I will provide you with the steps to reset the complete TV.
George M: The TV will get back to factory defaults after the reset.
George M: Go to Menu>>Support>>Self Diagnosis>>Reset. The default pin will be 0000. (Yours may be different)

4. Since you have now re-set EVERYTHING, you will have to go back to setup and change to External Speakers and Optical out. On your soundbar, you will have to specify that Optical is the source of sound.

5. Then, since you have wiped everything clean, you will have to loggin to Netflix, etc. with your loggin info.

After hours yesterday on the internet and 2 hours on Samsung chat today, this is what finally worked. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING else worked.

Hopefully this will solve your problems!

Collapse -
no sound
by at226 / August 16, 2012 9:40 AM PDT

I'm having a similar problem. My problem is I have an HDMI cable running from the cable box to the TV. There is an image, but there is no sound. I don't have any peripheral speakers or recievers connected. I just want to use the television's speakers. I shouldn't need any additional cables should I?

Collapse -
Re: No Sound
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 17, 2012 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: no sound

Hey at226,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In order for the community here to help you more quickly, please provide for us the complete model code for these devices.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
No sound from Samsung Aps
by wmertel / February 9, 2014 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: No Sound

Like others in this thread, I am having the same issue. Yesterday I bought a JBL sound bar and set it up using the optic cable provided. I made the change to External Speakers and sound from the cable line was fine. Today when I switched to Netflix, there was no sound...and now there is no sound from the cable line as well. My TV Model is: UN32EH5300F. I have tried all combinations of switching settings....including: PCM; switching speaker settings (there is only one option) ... all combinations.

Is there any fix for this?

Collapse -
Re: No sound from Samsung Aps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 14, 2014 12:54 AM PST

Hi wmertel,

Sorry to hear that. Do you have Anynet+ enabled on your TV?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
GET SOUND FROM SAMSUNG SMART TV HUB (NETFLIX ETC) HOMETHEATR
by oncetime / November 23, 2013 4:24 AM PST

This worked for me, YOU MUST USE AN OPTICAL AUDIO CABLE connect it to the TV and to the Home theatre. Also have an hdmi cable from TV to HMTheatre. Once you select the "optical " as the source from the HMT (versus AUX) it WILL produce sound. If it doe snot then check your settings in the TV souch as source (hdmi 1, TV, hdmi 2 etc) as well as audio settings (extrenal speakers versus TV ) I did not actually have to change anything byt eh way just left it on normal settings HDMI 1 from cabkle box for example

Collapse -
I know its late but I hope this helps someone.
by mlulker / December 8, 2011 6:40 AM PST

I've been having problems hooking up my Samsung Smart TV and peripherals to my Sony receiver, just when I though everything was working, I tried to use Netflix through the Smart Hub and I had no audio...no audio from the previous channel from the cable box like the original poster had, just NO sound.
My Sony manual says to use HDMI if the TV is ARC (Audio Return Channel) compatible so the TV sound will be output from the external speakers. Then I read the Samsung manual and it says ARC (Audio Return Channel) is only available from HDMI IN 2. I changed the HDMI cable from port 1 to port 2 on the Samsung and Netflix audio is working now!
I do not have the optical cable connected.
Hope this helps someone out there!

Collapse -
Sony receiver stuck in LPCM mode
by eckster389 / February 13, 2012 4:28 AM PST

I too have a similar setup with a Samsung TV and Sony receiver with a cable box and DVD player all hooked up through the receiver via HDMI. I am trying to take advantage of the ARC, but when everything is turned on my receiver defaults to LPCM instead of dolby digital, even though the broadcast is coming through in dolby digital. When I shut the TV off, the receiver then recognizes dolby digital from the cable box. Or, if I enter the guide menu on the receiver and exit (without changing any settings) the receiver will then recognize the dolby digital. Once I get the receiver into Dolby Digital everything (including ARC) works fine. But, then I shut everything down and turn it on again, the same issue happens all over and the receiver defaults to LPCM. I spent 2 hours on the phone with sony and narrowed it down to something with the TV. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Collapse -
Worked for me too
by Hmintzer / December 13, 2014 10:06 AM PST

Changed my Samsung from hmintzer in 1 to hdmi in 2 and smart hub works perfect. Thanks for the tip

Collapse -
No SPDIF audio from Samsung TV
by fillside / March 4, 2012 12:47 AM PST

I was having trouble connecting to Netflix so I did the 1026 software upgrade for my UN32D6500 TV and now i can connect to netflix fine but there is no SPDIF audio to my external speakers. I have audio from netflix to the internal speakers of the TV but not the external speakers.

I have:

SPDIF audio to external speakers for:

regular cable programming.
3d demo
You Tube but with serious delay.

No SPDIF audio to external speaker for:
Netflix
Go HBO
Hulu

Any ideas why I would have netflix audio to my internal speakers but not the SPDIF output?

Collapse -
Sometimes it the simplest thngs in life.
by Soundchaser2014 / January 28, 2014 4:07 AM PST

I also had the issue with no sound while trying to use Netflix. After numerous re-routing cables or changing setting for about 3 weeks now, by pure accident I turned off my cable box while trying to get sound from Netflix and to my surprise I was watching and LISTENING to The Avengers on Netflix. I not saying this is THE fix for everybody but it's just something else to "scratch off" the list of possible solutions. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1020, if that help anybody. My cables are HDMI and (1) Optical/Audio cable running from the Samsung Smart TV to the receiver. Finally, everything is ready to Rock-n-Roll. Good Luck

Collapse -
Re: Sometimes it the simplest thngs in life.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 3, 2014 11:02 PM PST

Hi Soundchaser2014,

Thanks for the message. Have you tried changing your audio output to PCM? Also, please provide the model code of your TV.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
info
by Soundchaser2014 / February 10, 2014 1:07 AM PST

I haven't tried changing audio output to PCM

Model Code - UN40F6300AFXZA

Question: My mother is living with me and she has a set of TV Ears because of her hearing loss. I can't get the TV Ears to work with the TV. If I plug them into the cable box she hears all program channels. The manufacturer suggests plugging into the tv...doesn't work, which also mean she can't watch Netflix or any dvd. Tried turning off cable box, still nothing. Is there a setting I missing ?

Collapse -
No sound from Samsung TV Apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc
by poppyc65 / November 14, 2011 11:38 AM PST

Same problem here.
I have a Samsung un60d8000 hooked to a Samsung BluRay, Denon amp and Cox cable box. I run all the hdmi thru the amp with one out to the TV. The Samsung instructions said to hook an optical from the amp to the cable box. When I use the Smart TV thing and try to view Netflix or Vudu, I continue to hear the TV channel that it's on and not the Netflix movie. Any ideas on this hook up? How do I get sound from Netflix instead of the TV channel that's on.

Collapse -
Possible solution
by yoshiucla / December 3, 2011 8:47 AM PST

I've had a similar issue with an LG/Denon setup. I tried the optical audio from the TV out back to the audio in on the receiver. Still no solution. Then I realized the optical in on the receiver was linked to the "TV" source. I simply changed the source from "SAT/CBL" to "TV" and the problem was solved -- audio from Netflix/Amazon, etc. coming through the receiver, and not the crappy TV speakers.

Collapse -
Possible solution
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2011 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Possible solution

yoshiucla -

Collapse -
No sound from Samsung TV Apps
by calbear12 / January 7, 2012 3:54 AM PST

I have the same issue as referenced above .... System includes Samsung UN40D6000, Pioneer Elite A/V receiver (old enough that it doesn't have HDMI), DirecTV DVR ....
- TV is connected via component video to receiver, component video and optical audio from DVR to receiver .... I have added digital optical connector from TV to receiver as recommended above to get sound from Netflix through receiver vs. TV with no success - tried through various optical connectors on receiver, also tried to set the TV audio to 'external speaker' but nothing seems to provide output via home theater speakers ..... Any other suggestions? .... Thanks in advance .....

Collapse -
No sound while on samsung apps, on when using dlna
by Frankoza / January 20, 2014 6:35 AM PST

Ok...so this is my problem i have a samsung smart tv ps60e550 and a pioneer home theatre which works great when playing dvd-s listening to music through usb,or watching tv but when using dnla or samsung apps sound only comes out through tv speakers not from home theatre ,and i cant solve it witha an optical cable because my reciever doesnt have a port for an optical cable.my tv and home theatre are connected with hdmi...please help...Thank you

Collapse -
Re: No sound while on samsung apps, on when using dlna
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 22, 2014 12:05 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.