Samsung forum

Question

No sound from Samsung LED TV to Home Theatre Speakers

by adswein / January 4, 2013 12:17 PM PST

Hi,
<div>
<div>I recently purchased a

Samsung UA40ES5500MXXY 40" Full HD Smart LED LCD TV and a Samsung HTE5550WXY 1000W 5.1 Channel Blu-Ray Home Theatre System.</div>
I have an HDMI connection between the TV and home theatre which works fine for playing DVDs.

I also have a digital optical connection between the TV and home theatre which is supposed to produce audio from regular TV channels and Smart Hub apps. However I only get sound through the home theatre speakers for 1 second and then it cuts out. I have checked the optical cable - it is fine.
</div>
Can someone please provide advice on what to do?

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound from Samsung LED TV to Home Theatre Speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound from Samsung LED TV to Home Theatre Speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by lynne3108 / January 5, 2013 1:09 AM PST

Hi,

had the same problem myself. The only time you can get sound from all speakers is when viewing a DVD/Blueray. Apparently it is not capable of producing 5.1 audio when connected via HDMI. I was told it would when I bought it but it didn't, so i took it back, demanded my money back, went home and plugged in my old panasonic home theatre which works fine.

My advice is take yours back and buy a Panasonic.

Bonjour

Collapse -
by adswein / January 5, 2013 10:37 AM PST

Thanks for the reply lynne3108. I was told that using the digital optical connection would produce the required sound from TV to speakers - unfortunately this has not been the case.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: No sound from Samsung LED TV to Home Theatre Speakers
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 1:02 AM PST

Hi adswein,

I looked at your two models, and I saw they have Anynet+. Since you have it connected with both HDMI and optical, it might actually be switching to ARC over HDMI, but the TV's trying to send audio on optical. Check to see if Anynet+ is enabled or not, and let me know. (Also, note: since this is an Australian model, I'm giving you the advice I'd give a US customer, since I support US products and customers. So I'm guessing, but it's a pretty good guess, I think.)

HD Tech

Collapse -
by adswein / January 8, 2013 2:42 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. Anynet+ is enabled on both the TV and home theater receiver. I have disabled the ARC option as my TV does not offer ARC functionality.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 1:11 AM PST

Hi adswein,

So I take it that everything is working fine now?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by adswein / January 9, 2013 7:39 AM PST

Unfortunately there is still no sound. The settings all indicate that TV audio should be coming through the external speakers via the digital optical connection - so I'm really not sure why this is not happening.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2013 12:49 AM PST

Hi adswein,

OK, then turn off Anynet+ and see if that helps.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by adswein / January 10, 2013 7:53 PM PST

Still no sound through external speakers... would it be a fault in the home theatre receiver?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 11, 2013 3:24 AM PST

Hi adswein,

Could be. Try turning off the HDMI-CEC feature on it?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Try the Headphone jack next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 2:05 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.