Computer Newbies

General discussion

No sound from laptop to TV with HDMI

by pherrlin / August 29, 2007 10:05 PM PDT

Just bought a Vaio FZ11Z which is great with BluRay etc. However, have connected the HDMI cable from the laptop to the Plasma TV and picture and display shows great but the sound is not transfering to the TV, only playing on the laptop. Does anyone know the settings change etc I need to make please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound from laptop to TV with HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound from laptop to TV with HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Just wondering if you got a user's manual with the PC.
by Coryphaeus / August 29, 2007 10:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) nope in classic Sony minimalis fashion
by pherrlin / August 29, 2007 10:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) FZ11Z is not listed at sonystyle.com
by Coryphaeus / August 30, 2007 8:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
HDMI to TV no sound
by pherrlin / August 30, 2007 6:07 PM PDT

so after these two less than helpful comments I can ascertain you do not know the answer?? Please all only leave messages which are helpful.

Collapse -
Well pardon me. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 30, 2007 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI to TV no sound

If you don't have the owner's manual and the laptop is not listed at the Sony site how should anyone know. I was simply stating a fact.

In closing I might ask:

Is the manual located on the hard drive somewhere?

Have you looked anywhere on the net?

Have you called Sony support?

You didn't mention the laptop is sold only in Europe.

Oh, wait, what's this?: TV out type S-Video + HDMI 1.2 supporting HDCP. Look familiar?

What a shame you waited this long, it took me about 4 minutes to find this http://support.vaio.eu/manuals/manuals.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&m=2667

These forums are free and we help when we can. Sometimes we do the legwork, sometimes we try to point the person in the right direcetion. For you I've done both. Read the link. BTW, page 166 of the User's Manual has some interesting information.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Fixed it.
by Popszee / September 9, 2011 5:07 PM PDT

1) Close your application stream audio
2) Open the Control panel , Set HDMI output as default output in the "Sound" configuration.
3) Open the application and stream your audio again.

Collapse -
Thanks worked well
by elakiyaselvan / September 16, 2011 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed it.

wonderful helped a lot

Collapse -
Still won't work
by danandrewsmith / November 18, 2011 7:26 PM PST

Hi, i have just done all of the above, connected my laptop to tv by HDMI and then changed the sound setting to set the HDMI as default but the sound still doesn't come out of the tv?

Collapse -
it worked for me, thanks a lot!
by mrshlakkk / December 15, 2012 5:06 PM PST

The problem with my Vaio vas that it didn't show the HDMI in cound settings in Control Panel. Right click - show disabled devices - enable HDMI - set default. Solved my problem Happy

Collapse -
worked for me too thanks
by Venaye60 / February 2, 2013 9:47 PM PST

I had to do the show disabled devices thing. Thanks a lot! no manuals or website or sony support...

Collapse -
Spaekers
by Hiroaih / January 11, 2013 1:48 PM PST

Also you may have disabled your audio devise. To turn back on do the following

1. Start -> Hardware and sound -> Sound -> Right click icon that is a speaker -> Left click "show all disabled devices"...

Collapse -
No sound from laptop to TV with HDMI
by William the King Ralph / November 15, 2008 10:08 PM PST

No sound from laptop to TV with HDMI.
When you find the answer please let me know.
I have the same problem..Ralph

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2008 10:51 PM PST

Fixed another one like this. Went to control panel, sounds, playback, clicked on HDMI sound and then the Set Default button.

Remember this area is not standardized so while I fixed this on a Vista machine your machine may use another path to get sound to HDMI.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by William the King Ralph / November 15, 2008 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

It is new Dell w/ Vista. I will give it a try...Thanks.

Collapse -
100 percent
by William the King Ralph / November 15, 2008 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

100 Percent, sounds great...Thanks again...Ralph

Collapse -
Cool. Great to hear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2008 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: 100 percent

All puns intended. Thanks for the report.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by imgreenrose / February 6, 2010 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Cool. Great to hear.

Was surfing for an answer to this same problem that's been driving me crazy for weeks. Your simple answer took me 15 seconds to implement, and voila -- problem solved. You are my hero! Thank you.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by kevinclevenger / February 14, 2010 12:21 PM PST

It worked for me going from a Lenovo lap-top to a Sony Bravia.

Collapse -
laptop to tv via hdmi sound missing
by mtouchto / September 28, 2010 8:45 AM PDT

Thank you for your advice regarding the control panel /hardware and sounds. While my windows 7 64 bit HP did not have anything that said hdmi, when the hdmi was hooked to it, it gave me a choice of making the Sony tv the default when it is connected. So now I have great sound. You were a very good help. Saved a call to India.

Collapse -
Thank you
by wvjordanb1 / November 25, 2010 5:54 PM PST

This helped me to. not even the people who sold the laptop to me knew about this they told me I would have to buy a hdmi card that enables sound but your tip worked thatnk you

Collapse -
No sound from TV with laptop connected with HDMI
by tkerston / November 30, 2010 7:52 AM PST

I am also having this problem...however I have been told of the setting HDMI output as default: here in lies the rub...it will not allow me to do so. I tried HP's support and they were not helpful. They had me do a couple of tasks that seemed to be unrelated and then restart the laptop...this did not solve my problem. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance

Tracey

Collapse -
Make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2010 7:58 AM PST

I can't comment since the details are eluding me (see those words in red?)

To get more help, create a new discussion and please, obey the words in red and I'll see if I can make a suggestion.
Bob

Collapse -
Make a new post
by tkerston / November 30, 2010 7:44 PM PST
In reply to: Make a new post.

Thanks Bob, I will do that. Sorry if I went about this the wrong way...I am new to this kind of thing (don't get on many discussion forums).

Tracey

Collapse -
HDMI No Sound
by R3dmist / January 2, 2011 4:53 AM PST

Hi Tracy I have a HP and had the same problem, fixed it by doing the following.
Make sure HDMI cable is connected to PC and Laptop.
1. Go to control Panel
2. Hardware and Sounds
3. Sounds
4. Select HDMI, Right Click.
5. Set As Default

Happy new Year

Collapse -
laptop to tv hdmi - no sound
by akovalet1 / January 2, 2011 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI No Sound

I have a Toshiba laptop with windows 7 and a Samsung LCD connected with HDMI cable. Recently there is no sound from TV speakers - only from laptop while the picture is OK. Setting the Realtec Digital Output as Default turns off the PC speakers but the TV remains silent. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Collapse -
I agree
by cae1136 / November 21, 2011 9:33 PM PST

I recently was doing some research on how to do this and I found that you have to change these settings.

Collapse -
Lifesaver
by LAZXLOU / July 7, 2012 2:55 AM PDT

1) Lots of vald attempts here to help that didn't work for me.
2) Your's did.
3) I just had to thank you so much that I became a member of the c|net community to do so.
4) I just get so infuriated (I've had recent "repairs" performed on my laptop which de-activated the HDMI audio, which used to play just fine) that I need to see a therapist to get over this.
5) Reading other peoples frustrations over these types of things really does help a lot.
6) Thanks to all very much-"R3dmist", you especially, because your anwer wound up being the one that worked for me.

Collapse -
Thanks!, Gracias!, Danka!
by bobbyledeuce / November 30, 2010 8:05 AM PST

That did it! FINAL ANSWER!!!

Collapse -
worked for me
by chf_2258 / December 31, 2010 7:35 AM PST

Thanks R.Proffitt

Collapse -
HP to Panasonic HDMI Sound missing
by bradeno / January 3, 2011 6:28 PM PST

Hi there bud,

You seem to have had great success with others similat to this so thought i'd ask you if you could help me...
I tried what you said, went to Control Panel, Sounds, Playback. But when I get there, there is no HDMI sound to click on. Only Speakers and Realtek Audio. Do you know of any other ways I can get my HDMI to work? Using HP Pavillion DV6000 PC, using Vista, and viewing on Panasonic Viera Plasma.

Kind regards,

Braden

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.