TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

No sound from Denon receiver with optical cable

by touchdown7 / November 13, 2013 1:31 AM PST

We are not getting sound out of a Denon AVR 1312 receiver. We have DirectTV connected to the Denon via an HDMI cable. Using the HDMI out the Denon is connected to a Sharp TV. We then connected a Vizio 5.1 channel sounbar system to the Denon using an optical cable. We are getting no sound from the TV input. We were able to get sound from the speaker system using the iphone and bluetooth, thus the speakers appear to be working. Looking for help on what the problem might be. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound from Denon receiver with optical cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound from Denon receiver with optical cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember those HDCP rules.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2013 1:48 AM PST

That pass through might be restriicted, blocked or degraded through the HDTV. Bluetooth is usually stereo (99.99% of the time) so if you are trying to pass 5.1 sound it might go silent.

This area is well worn but I understand folk are going to bump into this over and over.

Also, an input has no sound output. I'm sure you meant something else but wanted to be painful crystal clear because I did encounter too many setups where they connected the TV's input jacks to their receiver's input jacks and wondered why nothing happened.
Bob

Collapse -
No sound
by touchdown7 / November 13, 2013 2:09 AM PST

Bob, thanks for the input.
We are a novice at connecting this equipment. I was under the understanding that an HDMI cable carried both audio and video. So we were thinking the HDMI connection from Direct TV (Genie) to the Denon was carrying both.

So would there be a solution to the TV restricting / blocked or will this setup just not work?

Thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
That part is right. HDMI carries it but HDCP steps in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2013 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: No sound

Along with other rules. You may want to consider unplugging all HDMI and removing power since we have seen HDCP handshake failures that only seem to go away on a full power cycle. I'm going to shortchange you here since HDCP handshake discussions and web pages abound.

OK, so the normal chain is from SOURCE to HT and then on to the HDTV. The optical is put into play when the HDTV is the source such as OTA (over the air) or things like game consoles that you didn't connect to the HT first.

However pass-through is sadly hampered or hobbled by HDCP rules. Let me be clear there are no technical reasons all this can't work. It's all about the studio's worry that high definition content might leak. We only need to google "plugging the analog hole" to see prior content about all this.

This is why I consider HDMI and BluRay to be nice but can be consumer unfriendly.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2013 2:33 AM PST
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions%28denonna%29&catid=avreceivers%28denonna%29&pid=avr1312%28denonna%29 seems right for this use.

It does NOT seem to support ARC which has proven problematic at times so good to see it not try that.

It supports a lot of digital audio formats up to 5.1 (check.) But then 7.1 is mentioned later in the manual at
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?FileName=DocumentMaster/US/Owners%20Manual.pdf

As I read about pages 17 to 20 something I can see that using the HDMI passthrough then the audio from the HDTV optical might not be supported. I can't tell but I'd have to read it a few more times.
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
Truth about using Soundbar w/ Denon AVR
by Pepe7 / November 13, 2013 4:20 AM PST

Truth be told, soundbars are not intended to be used with traditional AV receivers. For that you obtain proper surround speakers & sub. There's no such thing as 5.1 from any soundbar. Sorry.

For an good value entry level speaker/sub system, check out the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system (@ Amazon), or look at the Monoprice generic version for even less $ but decent surround sound. Just to see what you are missing w/ the overpriced Vizio soundbar.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/monoprice-9774/4505-7868_7-35512507.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.