Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

Question

No signal to TV from Laptop via HDMI

by Albertov521 / February 15, 2013 8:45 AM PST

Hello everyone, so I googled this question and followed about every single trouble shoot and no luck.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Windows 7, with intel HD3000 with the latest driver update, I will download the BIOS update right now, and the TV is a Samsung 43" Class Plasma 720p 600Hz HDTV, PN43E450.

Both ports work, I use the exact same cable for my Xbox 360 and it worked fine, I also brought my laptop to my (ex)girfriends house and used the exact same cable and hooked up my laptop to her off-brand "HDTV" via HDMI and it worked at her house.

I already changed the resolution in my laptop to 1024x768 @ 60Hz... nope, still no luck at all. Everytime I connect the HDMI cable to my laptop, my laptop does the bell sound, like saying it found something new, I press Fn+F1 (thats the projector button) and my screen in my laptop goes dark then back to normal and the message stating "might not be optimal resolution" pops up, but my Plasma...nope, not even a flicker, just says "No Signal 1.- Check the cable connections and the settings of your source device 2,- Press source"

I also tried changin the name of the imput to PC, restart both my laptop and TV.... I also tried having my XBOX on and everything showing on my tv, then just diconnect my xbox and connect my laptop as quick as i could, nope, still no luck... I have tried EVERYTHING...

Im kind of going crazy here, lol.

Anyways, any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No signal to TV from Laptop via HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No signal to TV from Laptop via HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: No signal to TV from Laptop via HDMI
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 17, 2013 11:15 PM PST

Hi Albertov521,

OK, I'd like you to do this. When your laptop is connected to the TV, right click on the desktop and look at screen resolution. Look in the address bar; this should have brought you to: Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution

If we're at that location, you should see at least one screen. If you only see one, click detect. It should show up as a second monitor in this menu. Let me know what happens here.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Quick flicker
by Albertov521 / February 22, 2013 12:44 PM PST

Ok this has never happened before, so TV was off, laptop obviously on, on full resolution (1366x768) as tv was off i disconected the HDMI from my xbox and connected it to my laptop, THEN i turned my TV on (i just stopped playing xbox so it was still in same imput) my laptop went dark for a second (as it ussually does) and changed resolution automatically to either 800x600 or 1024x768, it was so quick, but an image quickly appeared on my TV (has never happened before) but then my resolution in my laptop went back to normal and now my TV says no signal.

After that I hit "detect" and it just says "Another Display Not Detected"

Collapse -
Re: Quick flicker
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2013 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Quick flicker
Collapse -
Will keep trying.
by Albertov521 / February 26, 2013 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Quick flicker

Alright, I will try that, I also did download the latest firmware update for the TV and installed it.

Collapse -
Re: Will keep trying
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 27, 2013 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Will keep trying.

Hi Albertov521,

If you have any questions about any of the steps, feel free to ask.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Tried everything in the link... still no luck
by Albertov521 / February 28, 2013 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Will keep trying

Hello there.

So I tried every step in the instructions in the link provided, and i still cannot connect my laptop to the tv.

Collapse -
Re: Tried everything in the link... still no luck
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2013 5:27 AM PST

Hi Albertov521,

OK, let's take a step back then and let me see what you're seeing. Could you provide pictures and/or a video of the following:

- The Menu at: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution
- The source list in the TV

HD Tech

Collapse -
Here is a video
by Albertov521 / March 2, 2013 7:06 AM PST

Sure thing! Happy

Who needs pics when you can have video! hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydxGikPGXo

Right before i made the video my desktop showed up on my plasma for like 2 seconds, but never happened again...

Collapse -
Re: Great video!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 5, 2013 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Here is a video

Hi Albertov521,

That was immensely helpful. I'm going to guess that second monitor in the video is just an alternate video card for your laptop. Since you've kept the same cable throughout the whole troubleshooting, let's eliminate some kind of weird grounding issue with that. Try another HDMI cable; don't spend a lot of money on it necessarily; we're looking to just have a different HDMI cable.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Same cable works fine with my Xbox
by Albertov521 / March 17, 2013 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Great video!

Sorry I haven't checked the thread on a while, gave up a little bit, I think it is funny that Dell Support is not helping me at all, also, it is not my TV because my friend can connect his laptop fine to mine...

But I use the same HDMI cable for my Xbox and it works just fine, should i still get another cable?

Collapse -
Re: Great video!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2013 5:51 AM PDT

Hi Albertov521,

I wouldn't bother. It seems like you've isolated the problem to your laptop. It may be some kind of graphics card issue or something else like that. I'd keep trying Dell or try Microsoft as well.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.