PC Hardware forum

no signal on monitor after changing power supply

by ryuken3k / July 30, 2011 8:27 AM PDT

Moved to a new place some weeks ago and didn't bother reconnecting the my home built computer. Decided to replace my seasonic 550w power supply with a new 750w Antec EA-750 power supply. I then reconnected my Viewsonic VX2025wm monitor and turned on the computer and got the dreaded "no signal" on the monitor.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no signal on monitor after changing power supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no signal on monitor after changing power supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Or the work dislodged dust, dirt or a fan is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 8:30 AM PDT

Or a cable is touching the fan.

Replacing a PSU is no longer trivial. We have possible connections for the video, the ATX12V connection and what else?

Collapse -
could you clarify your answer?
by ryuken3k / July 30, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

The computer was working just fine before I changed the power supply. I changed the power supply back to the Seasonic 550w PSU and it still showed "no signal". Could you clarify or simplify your answer? You said a cable is touching the fan? I checked and there aren't any cables touching the graphics card fan... The power supply is also connected to a Seagate 5400 RPM hard drive and a Samsung 7200 RPM hard drive. For testing purposes, I only connected the PSU to the parts I needed to turn on the computer and turn down the GPU fan because it was too loud, which was when I encountered the "no signal" problem.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 8:57 AM PDT

I can not see your computer but the symptoms point to something touching the fan.

BUT YOU DID GIVE UP A GREAT CLUE. GPUs do not take kindly to heat. There are few cards that let you set the speed on those. I wonder if it died?

Also your comment about not hooking it all up points to a possible oversight.

Again, I offered the most common based on too many machines repaired over the years.

Collapse -
one other note
by ryuken3k / July 30, 2011 9:03 AM PDT

I may have forced the computer to turn on or off too many times by pressing the switch on the PSU itself. I wanted to test my new PSU but didn't bother connecting my monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...

Collapse -
The GPU exhibited no signs of dying prior to changing PSU
by ryuken3k / July 30, 2011 9:08 AM PDT

The GPU was working perfectly prior to changing the PSU. I was using a program from EVGA that allowed you to change the fan speed. It was running at 50 degrees celsius at most.

Collapse -
That's been said of many a light bulb.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 9:15 AM PDT

It doesn't matter. You now get to figure out what's gone wrong.

How about that old extra mounting stud under the motherboard problem?

Folk are always getting bit by that and only the new builders will reply "it worked fine before." I always check that stuff out.

Collapse -
motherboard mounting stud problem?
by ryuken3k / July 30, 2011 9:24 AM PDT

What kind of problem would the mounting stud cause?

Collapse -
It's a common issue with home builts and customs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 9:29 AM PDT

Some one puts a stud in where it doesn't belong. The new builders tend to think since it worked before "it can't be that."

That sort of thinking makes my friends in repair some easy income.

Collapse -
Vista won't even load now.
by ryuken3k / July 30, 2011 1:47 PM PDT

Took out the video card, and plugged in the integrated video card adapter into my ASUS M3N78 pro motherboard. I managed to get past the startup screen. The problem now is that when I get to the Vista loading screen, the bars manage to move two times before the screen freezes, then I see a BSOD flash for an instant and the screen goes to black

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 2:22 PM PDT

But I was talking of checking for that stray mounting post. BUT THIS SOUNDS LIKE PROGRESS!

" no signal on monitor after changing power supply" to Windows at least starting.

As the machine crashes it can corrupt the OS. Maybe the next step is to slip in some new blank HDD and install Windows on that to see if the machine is OK?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.