Samsung

Question

No Signal and Audio Problems with Samsung TV and ATT U-verse

by phritzg / June 17, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

We just purchased the PN51D550 plasma Samsung 3D set. When we connect it to our ATT U-verse box using HDMI cable, it does not recognize the box over half the time. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV back and replug it, it then recognizes the box and acts normally. Could this be caused by a bad HDMI cable? Our HDMI cable is high speed with ethernet. Also, after watching tv for about 5 hours, there are random sudden very loud banging sounds, similar to a door being slammed as hard as possible, accompanied by total loss of picture for a second or two. This is naturally totally unacceptable. We have the sound routed with the digital audio output to a JVC surround sound receiver (RX-778VBK), but I doubt if that would cause this problem. I would like to try a higher quality HDMI cable (ours was very inexpensive), but I don't know if that would make any difference. Please advise as soon as possible. We are currently connected with the composite cables from the U-verse box, but that means no HD picture (the U-verse box does not support component video out). I don't know if the banging sounds will occur with the composite connection, as I am currently testing this setup. If it does occur, I will add that information to this thread. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Signal and Audio Problems with Samsung TV and ATT U-verse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Signal and Audio Problems with Samsung TV and ATT U-verse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
same issue, would love to hear from Samsung on this!
by LeeshaB / September 3, 2011 6:56 AM PDT

we have Monster HDMI cables and the amount they cost, i am sure there are higher ones, but this can't be the issue. i'm curious if there is a way for the UVERSE to NOT turn off every time the TV is turned off and on as i am guessing this is a sync issue? i don't know, but i LOVE this TV, but turning it off an on 10+ times to get it to recognize the signal is getting very old and it almost seems if it is getting worse.

Collapse -
No expert but there is that nagging HDMI thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

The industry decided that if the power goes off on the HDMI client then the authentication is over and the signals must stop. If Uverse decides to power off in some way that is their choice and it's not a samsung issue.

The signal recognition issue has been solved many times by cable companies updating the boxes or replacing them.

If you can connect by COMPONENT CABLE the HDMI handshake is avoided.

Yes, the industry's feet need to be put back into the fire.
Bob

Collapse -
My Samsung works with audioquest cable.
by pugilicious / September 21, 2011 5:23 PM PDT

Samsung tvs are known to have problems with att uverse stbs. I just installed att uverse and after a few hours I had hdcp errors. I upgraded to an audioquest chocolate hdmi cable and that solved the problem. I didn't believe the salesperson at Bestbuy Magnolia, but he was right about having a certain amount of silver content to transmit a less error free signal. My monoprice hdmi cable would not sync correctly. Also my Motorola vip1200 would create sync errors when running too hot. This problem was corrected by using a laptop fan cooler under the stb. Now everything works fine. With my Samsung component video quality was blurry and washed out.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2011 1:25 AM PDT

My Uverse box did same with some Sony and the lib sync issues were evident on some content. But no banging sounds. While I got lucky and that Uverse box died on its own and the new box worked it does help me see that these issues are widespread.
Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Found Component outputs on U-verse Box
by phritzg / June 17, 2011 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too.

I looked at the U-verse box again and located a set of component video outputs. I have been using them since mid-morning and have had no problems with audio or lost signals. However, the cost is not having as clear a picture as I would have using the HDMI cable. Plus I am not sure if the 2D to 3D conversion feature will work.

Collapse -
TV Now Acting OK
by phritzg / June 18, 2011 1:28 AM PDT

Using the component video outputs is working and the problems have disappeared. Altlhough the tv set says the picture is 1080i, I can tell the picture is just not quite as crisp as with the HDMI cable in use. I don't think U-verse transmits 1080p anyway. I will probably try another, better quality HDMI cable at some time, just to see if the problems were with the original cable.

Collapse -
respond to tv now acting ok
by chino2go / June 21, 2011 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Now Acting OK

Not sure if you know but the component cable shows video as good as hdmi. hdmi just has video and audio in one. I wouldnt spend alot more money in another hdmi cable.Good luck

Collapse -
Answer
Me too!

I have the same exact TV and the same exact problem! I tried different HDMI cables, and even switched the u-verse boxes. If you find a solution, let me know!

Collapse -
Only thing that worked was component cables
by phritzg / July 25, 2011 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too!

the only way I got it to work was using the component cable outputs; picture quality is the same, just uses 5 wires instead of one. I think the whole hdmi concept has some bugs in it; I don't think the newer cables are as backwards compatible with older a/v equipment as they could be.

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem
by desaud / December 12, 2011 3:33 AM PST

I've had the same issue. Wondering if anyone else has found a solution.

Collapse -
(NT) Just the same one. Move to component connections.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem
Collapse -
So,
by desaud / December 12, 2011 3:54 AM PST

Is the HD image as good with component cables?

Collapse -
Debateable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: So,

Sorry, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've heard this both ways but this is all I can offer. A workaround.

Collapse -
Nope
by pugpie / January 6, 2012 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: So,

I tried component cables on my Samsung and the aspect ratio is screwed up and the picture appears to be 480P. Try using a higher quality hdmi cable like the ones from Kimber cable. I now have no more hdcp problems.

Collapse -
Answer
Possible hdcp errors
by pugpie / January 6, 2012 5:19 PM PST
I replaced my generic hdmi cable with a more expensive Kimber cable and it solved the problem. My Samsung lcd would flash "hdcp error" then disconnect. The cheaper cable apparently was causing more errors. Also after a few hours the errors would appear even with the better cable. The problem was with the ATT Uverse box made by Motorola overheating. I placed a laptop fan under the box, and there were no more disconnection problems.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.