Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No "Shut down" option from start menu

by mecit / April 14, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

I have 2 user computers that cannot select: Start/Shut Down from their start menu. I have double checked the local group policy and their group is included in the "Shut down system" option. Where else can I look to allow these users the option to shut down instead of having to "log off" first, then shut down.?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No "Shut down" option from start menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No "Shut down" option from start menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows NT 4 did that a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 4:11 AM PDT

I used the following passage to enable or disable that.

"Unlike in Windows NT Server, Windows NT Workstation's log-in screen has a "Shutdown" button which you can use to shutdown the system without ever logging in. Here's how to disable Windows NT Workstation's "Shutdown" button on the initial log-in screen:

* Run "Registry Editor" (run "RegEdit.exe" or "RegEdt32.exe")
* Select the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
Current Version\Winlogon

* Add a value named "ShutdownWithoutLogon" of type "REG_SZ" and set it to "0".
* Restart Windows
"

Collapse -
Shutdown option from start menu
by mecit / April 14, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

Will this work to display the Shutdown Option from the start menu also? to Turn it on, do I enter a "1" ?

Collapse -
Used to.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 4:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry for misinformation
by mecit / April 14, 2005 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Used to.

I'm sorry, I'm talking about Windows 2000 Pro systems, not Windows NT. I thought I was in the W2000/XP group. in any case, I'm trying to get win 2000 to show the shut down option.

Collapse -
It's the 2000/NT forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 4:45 AM PDT

For Windows 2000, it could be a bum install of the OS. Or registry settings.

More clues are required and the registry setting is same. You should enable shutdown in the user's permissions with the policy editor you use.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your help
by mecit / April 14, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

Thanks for your help Bob. I have already given the user permission for shutting down, but it still does not appear so it must be a bad install of the OS. I've looked in the registry and do not see any settings that would prevent the shut down from appearing either. Thanks again.

Collapse -
That item will vanish on some machines when...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your help

Only the Microsoft CD and drivers are used.

I call those setups a "bum install." I might be referring to the person who did the install?

Bob

Collapse -
Not me
by mecit / April 14, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

I think you are referring to the person that did the install. I have taken his place and there are a lot of things that I'm finding that are "bum installs" I'm just trying to right the wrong.

Collapse -
For example...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Not me

Windows 2000 on many machines requires a MOTHERBOARD DRIVER PACKAGE for everything to work proper. Many get the OS working and leave it at that.

Microsoft does not supply these drivers so the installer (the person on the keyboard) gets to do this.

Bob

Collapse -
Tweak it to my circumstances
by mecit / April 14, 2005 4:57 AM PDT

So, do you think if I put in a "0" that would enable the shut down to show from the start menu? The link states put a "1" to remove it. Thanks again.

Collapse -
I think you need to work at this more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 5:09 AM PDT

All types and skill levels appear here. The key in question is documented in the Server 2000 Resource Kit which all good administrators own and those that don't hit Google up for such a question.

Sadly what I'm seeing more and more are admins that never took a clase, hit the books or don't use the good resources we have today.

I will not answer your last question since that would be holding hands.

Bob

Collapse -
Final notes
by mecit / April 14, 2005 6:05 AM PDT

I have Win 2000 Pro resource Kit. I do google a lot of stuff. I actually have taken classes and hold an MCSE for NT4. I guess I'm just not a good administrator. Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Not that. I just ask you to apply yourself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Final notes

I don't hand out fish.

Bob

Collapse -
Understood
by mecit / April 14, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

I just have a hard time putting in the right "key words" for knowledge bases. Google is OK, but I don't always find the answers to the problems that I need to solve. MS is worse. I have solved this very same problem with one of my other users, but that solution does not work for these 2 machines. So, it's not like I don't know anything about it. The fix doesn't work in this case.

Collapse -
Ok, let's dig deeper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Understood

Can you reveal the make/model machine? Maybe it's missing a motherboard driver package.

If you can do that, I'll check that and see what else can make the button go away.

Does the Shutdown appear in the logon box?

-> Please tell what you've tried so I can follow along.

Bob

Collapse -
It's an HP/Compaq
by mecit / April 14, 2005 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, let's dig deeper.

d330 P4 2.4 GHz/533 system which originally had XP Pro installed, but that was removed and Win2000 Pro installed instead. It was purchased in July 2003 (both systems are the same).
Yes, the shutdown button appears in the logon box, but if you select it, it only gives you the option to logoff the user. then you can shut down after the user is logged off. Now, when you logon to the machine as an administrator, this is not the case. the shutdown and all other options are available from the start button and logon screen.
I have double checked the local group policy on the local machine and made sure that the user's group is selected for "shut down the system" and also, i have gone to the domain local policy and made sure that the user's group is selected for "shut down the system" now, this worked for my other user that had the same problem.
I have to go down to that location this afternoon (about 15 minutes from now) and I can get more information about the system when I get down there if you need it.

Collapse -
Which d330?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: It's an HP/Compaq

"

Collapse -
HP Compaq d330 microtower
by mecit / April 14, 2005 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Which d330?

I've been in the Administrative templates of the user configuration for this policy. It states "not configured" for remove the shut down button and that means that it should be showing.
I'm going down there now. I will respond with anything new that I have found out.
Thanks again, for your time.

Collapse -
To me, it appears you looked at the SCRIPTS and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 8:35 AM PDT

Not that start menu area.

Bob

Collapse -
no luck
by Fejjarific / July 28, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

Hmm. I am an idiot user who has never taken a class. I cannot find administrative templates. Anyone willing to give me a fish?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.