Laptops forum

Question

No screen at boot(bios), but turned on during windows 7

by swapp0 / April 21, 2013 11:15 PM PDT

I have a 5 year old HP DV5-1021tx and I have a screen problem. This problem became permanent since last year but it only has occasional occurrence before.

When I turn on my laptop, the screen will not turn on until Windows is full loaded to the Welcome screen.

I have notice that since the problem became permanent I have lost brightness control in Windows 7 (brightness slider is gone in Windows Mobility Center or power options) as will as viewing dual screen mode (only the connected screen will display).

I have also notice that hibernation is missing and every time I put my Windows 7 to sleep, when it wakes up, the resolution is changed to 800x600 with black bar on the right and blurred task bar. The display returns to normal when I changed the resolution back to 1280x800.

Can someone help??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No screen at boot(bios), but turned on during windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No screen at boot(bios), but turned on during windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 12:33 AM PDT

If the BIOS is not showing at boot and you've completed the usual no-risk I know of reset noted at the top of the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum I have to say the laptop needs repair. But given the likelihood it's the motherboard my advice is to continue using it and plan for it's eventual replacement.

The sleep issue on its own would have me write a different answer but since the BIOS boot/splash screen has failed, that's not good.
Bob

Collapse -
What is your advice on the sleep issue?
by swapp0 / April 22, 2013 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a bad sign.

What would your advice be on the sleep issue. At first I thought a clean install of Windows 7 might fix sleep, screen brightness control, and hibernation problem since it looks like software/driver based issues. But that wasn't the case. What could be cause?

I have tried the original driver stock with the machine (was actually meant for Win Vista) and the newest update from HP and later another driver from NVidia. But none worked.

Collapse -
No a clean install should fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

A clean install of Windows is missing so much that it won't work properly. For that I use the stock OS/restore media as a test.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.