Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No response to ping, no filesharing, but internet access ok

by C. Mundi / July 20, 2008 5:31 AM PDT

I'm fairly network savvy, but not when it comes to how Windows makes thing's "easy" for us. I will appreciate *any* attempts to help.

Computer Name = Flakey
Windows XP Pro SP3
Marvel Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Microsoft "Update Driver" found+installed Marvel driver 8.65.6.3
NetGear WGR614v6 router flashed to V2.0.19_1.0.19NA

I can access the web and email with no problem.
Flakey is "visible" in Workgroup, but not accessible.
Flakey does not respond to pings.
ipconfig /all is 100% normal. Yes, I would know.

I used the Network Wizard to set up home networking on Flakey and all other XP machines in the house using workgroup=HOUSE. Flakey can see shares on all other machines in HOUSE. Other machines can see each other's shares but cannot see Flakey's share. Flakey can ping all other machines. No other machine can ping Flakey. Flakey responds to pings from itself but not from any other machine.

Uninstalled Kaspersky. Windows Firewall ON with default settings, plus whatever changes the Network Wizark made. In particular, ICMP echo appears to be globally allowed, seems to match settings on other machines in HOUSE. (Incidentally, other boxes all have Kaspersky, so that wasn't the problem anyway.)

Rebooted "Flakey" into Linux. XP computers can ping it just fine. Marvel hardware probably vindicated.

Rebooted Flakey as XP, but with Marvel disconnected and insted using a TrendNet 802.1 USB dongle configured to find the Netgear SSID. Exact same behavior as with Marvel. This tells me that the problem is not specific to Marvel hardware or software. The problema ppears to be with all NIC's on Flakey. Suggests a firewall issue, but as I said I restored the Windows Firewall default settings before running the Network Wizard.

Finally, I have no idea if Faley every responded to pings in the past. I never even tried to ping Flakey until filesharing setup failed.

Have not tried a packet sniffer yet. Don't think it will help.
Not seeing anything interesting in the Event Viewer.
Windows Firewall is not logging, even though I have it set to log to C:\WINDOWS\pfirewall.log.

I'm pretty desperate at this point.

Thank you,
CM

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No response to ping, no filesharing, but internet access ok
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No response to ping, no filesharing, but internet access ok
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm
by B123456H / July 20, 2008 11:52 AM PDT

goto start > run > type in services.msc

check to see that these services are running-

network location awareness
computer browser
network connections
server
workstation

these are the ones that are dependent on making win xp networking functional.

Try ubuntu linux 8.04-
it seamlessly works with windows network shares via samba client

Collapse -
Only one idea myself.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 20, 2008 7:55 PM PDT

I know little about networking, but just to check that all these other computers on the network have an account for Flakey.

From what I read in other threads in these forums, that seems to be the common problem. But hopefully you will have better ideas from others.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.