Speakeasy

General discussion

No regular mail delivery tomorrow

by Angeline Booher / January 1, 2007 2:23 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No regular mail delivery tomorrow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No regular mail delivery tomorrow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Having worked as a mail carrier
by Diana Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 2:26 AM PST

I can imagine the mail carriers hate this because they have to catch up with three days of mail to sort.

Diana

Collapse -
delivered mail also
by WOODS-HICK / January 1, 2007 2:59 AM PST

for a few weeks, temp for holidays. it is not as easy as it appears. worst part was all the catalogs and fliers that filled my postal vehicle, it was packed.

you have to keep moving, no hiding like years ago, they have bar code scanners at different points on the route, in a home mailbox quite often, so they know where you are and how long it took. similar to fedex and ups drivers. I tip more generously after my experiences.

Collapse -
Was a temp for a few weeks as well
by Diana Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: delivered mail also

Worse part for me was remembering where everyone moved.

A divorced B so A's mail is in the same house but B's mail goes to C's house. D and E moved in together so they moved to another apartment that was a two bedroom. F's mailbox got hit by the snowplow so deliver his mail to his daughter's house. Not to mention who's on vacation or the student in school or home.

You get my drift?

Diana

Collapse -
There will be only irregular mail delivery tomorrow.
by James Denison / January 1, 2007 4:40 AM PST

......but don't hold your breath for that one either, lol.

Collapse -
I got this in an email
by PudgyOne / January 1, 2007 7:17 AM PST

***National Day of Mourning

President George W. Bush has issued an Executive Order directing federal government agencies to close Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2007, as a mark of respect for former President Gerald Ford, who died Tuesday, Dec. 26.

For the USPS, this means that Jan. 2 is a ?National Day of Observance? and there will be no regular mail delivery or retail service. Express Mail delivery will be available. The Business Service Network will be closed. The Lancaster and Reading Bulk Mail Units will be open.

Regular retail and delivery service will resume Wednesday, Jan. 3.

I understand that President Ford died but...

Do you think it will affect the mail person from delivering the mail?

Rick

Collapse -
"respect for former President Gerald Ford"
by caktus / January 1, 2007 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: I got this in an email

I'm sure would be to not shut down the bulk of government ops.

Collapse -
No fireworks please
by sbrasch99 / January 1, 2007 10:58 AM PST

Has anyone noticed anytime a firework is ignited the goverment workforce takes the day off.

Marc

Collapse -
Federal agencies on holiday.
by caktus / January 1, 2007 5:11 AM PST

In more ways than one it will cost ,cost, cost USPS customers and the taxpayers.

How many of us 'non-special' US citizens get more and more paid holidays at the expense of folks most of whom can afford it least? Not to mention that sorry excuses for paid holidays result in higher postal rates that go on for ever.

Just my rant. But a worth while rant I think.

Collapse -
I get your point.
by Angeline Booher / January 1, 2007 5:22 AM PST

I come from the time of twice-a-day mail deliveroes and none of those awful "we missed you, but you can pick up your certified letter or package at the post office after 8:30 AM" cards in the mailbox.

About 15 years ago somebody tried to start a delivery service just for magazines. They put a container for them on the mail post. I had only a couple of my mags that used it. The company apparfently went bust from not having enough magazines join their service.

But I have to say I don't mind the offices being closed for the day in this case.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
RE: delivery service just for magazines...
by caktus / January 1, 2007 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: I get your point.

I recall the days. But I thing it started up in the 70's, maybe earlier. They began going bust when the USPS (a mostly uncontrollable strong-arm of government) started suing them because of some law that prevents competing with the USPS. Eventually time sensitive parcels such as sales fliers were permitted to be delivered by private carriers. The USPS later tried to fight UPS. But UPS got around it as they too were delivering time sensitive parcels as well as items the USPS refused to carry such as explosive, flammable, corrosive, and fragile as well as items so large or heavy that the USPS just didn't want to bother. Then of course FedEx, DHL and others followed. And for security needs private mail box services came about. And the private mail box service providers are more safe and secure than US Post offices.

It seems I recall something about the USPS passing up opportunities to exclusively offer FAX, and I think even email services before they entered the public domain. Seems memory is pretty fuzzy om this. But I think it went something like that. If any one has facts on this I'd like to hear about it.

Seems the USPS is it's own worst enema, er a, enemy. Wink Seems it has always fought tooth and nail to avoid evolving with society and technology.

Collapse -
(NT) How often does an ex-President die?
by Diana Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
What??
by duckman / January 1, 2007 6:58 AM PST

you don't think civil servants deserve a fourday weekend?

Collapse -
Looking at my 2007
by John Robie / January 1, 2007 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: What??

calendar there may be a 4 day holiday for Christmas and New Years coming up.

Not only the Feds, but many locals will get this Tuesday off, including a lot of the military. Our Texas governor declared Tuesday a holiday in honor of President Ford.

Collapse -
"the military"....
by caktus / January 1, 2007 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Looking at my 2007

will actually [honor] the President in many ways.

Collapse -
(NT) It's adding up and we're all paying for it.
by caktus / January 2, 2007 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: What??
Collapse -
Mail delivery
by marinetbryant / January 1, 2007 8:01 AM PST

Even though there will be no delivery, the system is still running. Trucks carrying mail from city to city have to be unloaded, parcels sorted to carrier routes and in larger cities postal box service still has to be put up. The only hold up will be the automation of separating letters into routes. It's like Columbus Day, the post office is off but the rest of the business world is still dumping mail into the system. Makes for a rough day for the carriers.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.