Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

No reaction when I want to convert some file using VLC?

by Mostafa-Farzan / July 5, 2012 8:07 PM PDT

Have anybody here used VLC Player to convert a video/audio format? I wanted to convert a video; so I did all steps mentioned here: "http://www.pcprompt.net/2011/09/video-convert-using-vlc-media-player.html" but when I clicked "start" button at the last step, the dialog box closed and nothing happened. Firstly I thought It might be converting in background but CPU Usage was very low in Task Manager. What have I to do? I wanna convert my video by VLC Player.

Mostafa-Farzan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No reaction when I want to convert some file using VLC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No reaction when I want to convert some file using VLC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
My first time with this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 8:24 PM PDT

I've never used VLC to convert video files so I am trying it now.

I am converting a .flv file to .mp4. When I got to the stage you said, I clicked Convert/Save and was given a new window for further settings, eg convert to which file type. It seems to be working although I did ask to see the putput while it was converting and it has shown the first frame but no others. However there is progress as I can see the time/length indicators changing. I can also hear sound.

BTW that link you gave just shows an empty page. The link you need should be this one I think;
http://www.pcprompt.net/2011/09/video-convert-using-vlc-media-player.html#axzz1Zgu8dEmR

So, why isn't it working for you?

What file format are you converting from and what format to? I'm not interested in file names, just formats.

How long is this video? If it is long you may not see the slider move much but the time elapsed should be showing.

Windows? If so, which?

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Error correction, putput = output
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 8:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Well that was interesting!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 9:12 PM PDT

I think I need to do more work on it.

The first thing I noticed that all 8 cores of my quad-core system had woken up and were working furiously. Possibly the first time that has happened since I have had this machine. 8 cores in a quad-core system? It is Hyperthreading where each core is multi-tasking.

Core temps had increased from their normal 34-36 deg C to 56-60 deg C.

I'm sure cores 2.5 to 8 are thanking me for the workout!

My first attempt failed. I had forgotten to state a Destination location so in effect VLC was streaming on the fly, from an FLV file to an MP4 streamed video, nothing saved.

But the 2nd attempt worked fine. Still no output visible but the conversion went a lot quicker and I ended up with 2 files on my Desktop, the original FLV and the new MP4. They both played the same.

So I am impressed and VLC worked as designed.

Your next steps are the tests suggested by Kees.

Mark

Collapse -
Result of testing other formats...
by Mostafa-Farzan / July 6, 2012 6:25 PM PDT

<div>After your post, I tried it with other format and it worked! So I think the format that I want to convert causes the problem. I want to convert a .ts file
(what I have recorded with TV) to any other format.
</div>

Collapse -
I see that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 6:00 AM PDT

VLC plays .ts files as it already has the codec, but it looks like it will not convert them.

Mark

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Mostafa-Farzan

Collapse -
If you can't get it working ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 8:31 PM PDT

better try another program. Most won't be free, but most likely you'll be able to get the job done.

The first thing to try, of course, is another PC. It could be something strange on your PC. If you have only one machine yourself, find a friend or family member that is willing to install VLC player, if he hasn't yet done it. Then copy that video to your USB-stick and see if it can be converted there.

If not, apparently VLC won't do it. Then we go and try other programs.
If yes, you succeeded. Only an issue then if you want to convert multiple video's, also in the future.

Kees

Collapse -
What the program?
by Mostafa-Farzan / July 7, 2012 2:18 PM PDT

Okay, It sounds like I have to be looking for another program. Of course I hope to find another, because VLC was the only player that could play my .ts files correctly and with sound. Even KM-Player, Gom-player, JetAudio, Power DVD! I tested'em all before I founded VLC player and none of them worked well, they just played video without audio. So I don't know about converters and I am searching the web for answers... "Capturing the computer monitor" may be the only way!!!

Collapse -
Your searches could also include
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: What the program?

a search for How to convert .ts files.

I've found quite a few hits in Google for that, so you may find something useful for converting .ts files to something more manageable.

Good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.