Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

No prompt for credentials after PEAP authentication request

by BradJohnson2 / February 12, 2013 11:08 PM PST

I'm having a problem logging into a secured wifi network with my Win 7 Pro 64 machine.

I had this working on my laptop with Win 7 Pro 64 prior to a harddrive upgrade/rebuild. A colleague created very detailed instructions on how to set up this wireless connection and it worked perfectly on my original install. Using the same instructions this time, however, fails. When I attempt to connect to the AP I'm never given the opportunity to enter my credentials. I have "Remember my credentials..." and "...use my Windows logon..." boxes unchecked.

I did some googling and discovered the Credential Manager. There were no entries in it, so I added one. I'm not sure if I did it right because I don't know the server name, just the SSID, so it may not be surprising that this did not fix the problem.

I found articles on where these credentials are stored in the registry for WinXP, but those keys do not exist in Win7. Can anyone tell me where to find this in Win 7?

Thanks,
-Brad

BradJohnson2 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No prompt for credentials after PEAP authentication request
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No prompt for credentials after PEAP authentication request
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by BradJohnson2

Collapse -
Tough area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 11:16 PM PST

If we were looking for those entries we'd look at a working machine.

PEAP is rarely used outside of work places so your work place should have IT staff to sort this out. Be sure to backup your stuff because most of the time they re-image (restore) the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
That explains why I couldn't find much on the web...
by BradJohnson2 / February 13, 2013 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Tough area.

Thanks Bob, you hit the nail on the head. I'm in a bit of a pickle though because I'm an outside contractor with my own laptop, and the end-customer IT won't touch it.

I still have the old harddrive and can boot from it if there is something that can be learned? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brad

Collapse -
On the old HDD you could see if those entries are there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 8:42 AM PST

Sorry but the last time I ran into PEAP was at such an office. If it failed the IT staff was worse than usual. Since I'm a backup fanatic it's a non-issue here.

There are some PEAP troubleshooting on the web so I'll skip over all that (you can google as good as others) and skip to a problem I encounter too often. The date/time is too far off.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.