Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

No pictures on my browsers

by AJShadow / October 25, 2005 12:26 PM PDT

Problem: When accessing certain web sites (specifically amazon.com) I cannot get any of the pictures to display on the screen. All I get is an ?X? where any picture is supposed to be.

I have a laptop and a desktop both Dell and both running Windows XP SP2 and experiencing the same problem!

I use Netscape 7.0 and 8.0, IE 6.0 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3 and they are all acting the same way.

This problem began about 4 days ago when a Microsoft automatic update was loaded onto both my systems.

Any thoughts? Once again, thank you in advance for your help! I found out that this site has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people around.

AJShadow

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No pictures on my browsers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No pictures on my browsers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: No pictures on my browsers
by Tufenuf / October 25, 2005 1:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
re no pictures
by danthevan / October 26, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

could be a few things certain pop up blockers have the ability to stop pics/video/animation/sounds etc in browsers but i would try this first go to internet options then the advanced tab then take a look at this

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5001/jpgmyiesettings0ye.jpg

this is a snapshot of my settings make sure the same boxes are ticked on your pc these multimedia settings stop pics and all that post back results if sorted
dan the van

Collapse -
R: No Pictures
by YmerejO42 / October 28, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: re no pictures

This may not apply to you, but a friend of mine recently had a problem similar to this, it turned out that he had all cookies disable in his firewall (he uses ZoneAlarm), and for some reason it was blocking pictures from certain websites... Drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong. If you use ZA, go to the Privacy tab and make sure that Cookie Control is off. That may help your problem.

Collapse -
Where is the Privacy tab?
by Silver Leaf / October 28, 2005 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: R: No Pictures

YmerejO42: I have had this same problem at times and was unaware of the ZA causing a problem. I checked my ZA and I could not find a 'Privacy Tab' where is it? I am using the free ZA version. thanks Silverleaf

Collapse -
Privacy Tab with No pictures
by AJShadow / October 29, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

Sorry for my ingnorance, but what is ZA? I went into my privacy tab and changed everything possible - no luck. Get this: I went into my system restore and restored my system to a time BEFORE I had this problem and I STILL have the problem. Still only on Amazon. Not only that, I went to the public library and tested my account and it worked fine. It has to be ''something'' to do with my system, but I also have the same problem with a laptop at my mothers house. WHAT THE ^%$#@ ???

Collapse -
ZA
by mikegac / October 29, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

ZA is short for Zonealrm and under privacy tab at the top is other tabs and find the option to not disable cookies or turn off privacy and also selct Interet explorer in your firewall programs listing and select option at bottom os window after you highlight internet explorer and turn off privacy for this program if it is checked and problem solved.
I quit useing zonealrm because of too many settings and problems and use AVG Antivirus with Firewall from http://www.grisoft.com and if free for 30 days with full support. works Great! any way also make sure you have show pictures in Intern explorer advanced tab checked and after all that make sure you have no other spyware or pop up programs or pop up option turned on and restart computer and browser and let me know if this works.

Collapse -
No pictures et al
by momule / October 31, 2005 8:47 AM PST

Funny how most of the responses that you are getting tell you to start turning off features of security software that are suppposed to provide safety to you and your computer. Just goes to show that, on our wonderful web, there's no such thing as total safety unless you want to also deny yourself the experience. I do echo the other's comment about Zone Alarm... while its a great product even in the free version it also will allow you to restrict what you do to the point where it just isnt fun anymore.....maybe an example of too much of a good thing. I also deleted ZA and now use AVG.
Good luck !!!!

Collapse -
I concur
by rfedele / October 31, 2005 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: No pictures et al

Try turning off Zone Alarm and then log onto the internet and see what happens. Make sure you are only running one firewall, you may have the windows firewall turned on and also have Zone Alarm on.

Collapse -
I give up
by AJShadow / October 31, 2005 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: I concur

I have officially given up. I have tried everything suggested to me and everything that I know how to do, including working with McAfee. No one knows what the problem is and neither do I.

My personal hunch is that my hardware addresses (on both PCs) at the amazon.com server has been corrupted, therefore leaving me with corrupted data or no data. I am experiencing another problem with my ID on amazon.com which I notified the technical support staff at amazon.com. However, I think they are humoring me and not taking me serious.

Sometimes in the world of high-tech, you just have to live with problems that no one can figure out. You have no choice.

Collapse -
This problem began about 4 days ago . . .
by Cursorcowboy / October 31, 2005 10:15 PM PST
when a Microsoft automatic update was loaded onto both my systems.

Test your theory!

1. Please read through the information in the article, "WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update (Q241234)" and perhaps use some of the information for troubleshooting.

2. Service packs and hotfixes contain an Uninstall (Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel - click Q###### , click Change/Remove and then follow the instructions that appear or by running the Uninstall program from the command prompt - click Start, Run, type cmd, and then press Enter. Change to the folder C:\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\, where C: is the root of your hard drive, type Spuninst.exe, and then press Enter), which is a feature used to restore a computer to its previous state.

Note: When running the ServicePack.exe program to install, a subfolder named $ntservicepackuninstall$ is created in the systemroot folder, which is subsequently also used by Windows File Protection (WFP) to replace damaged or changed protected system files. The Hotfix naming convention followed by the extension .exe include the variables:

? Q###### - the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number (for example, 123456)

? XXX is the platform or operating system

? YYY is the service pack level

? ZZZ is the hardware platform

? LL is the language

3. Search using the Find function to locate Spuninst.exe utility that supports the following switches:

? /? Show the list of installation switches

? /u Use Unattended mode

? /f Force other programs to quit when the computer shuts down

? /z Do not restart when the installation is complete

? /q Use Quiet mode (no user interaction)

4. For example, to remove a patch in Unattended mode without restarting the system, use the following command:

%windir%\$ntuninstallQ??????$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /u /z

5. The article [Q329260] explains there are three folders created when SP1 is installed and the archive files that contain temporary and archived files used to remove it and the folders that can safely be deleted. This article warns that if the Windows\Servicepackfiles folder is moved or deleted, SP1 cannot be removed in the future.

6. The article [Q296861] describes how to install multiple Windows product updates (for example, critical updates, security patches, or hotfixes) that use Update.exe with only one restart. This procedure does not work howerver for product updates that do not use Update.exe as the installation program. For example, Internet Explorer updates for Windows XP use an INF-based installation instead of Update.exe. As a result, you cannot use this procedure to install multiple Microsoft Internet Explorer updates with only one restart on Windows XP.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Chapter 5: Installing, Uninstalling, and Managing Programs."

b. "How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer (Q875350)."
Collapse -
Reply to: No pictures on my browsers
by DigiSat / November 5, 2005 1:11 AM PST

AJ,
Before you give up, try this. On your Browser such as Microsoft IE, go to "Tools". From there to the "Pop-up Blocker" menu. Click on the "Pop-up Blocker Settings" menu. You should be greeted with a window that will have several options for you. One of the options is that you can add the address of sites you wish to allow pop-ups. I list a few in this area as this function was preventing me from a few items. Down below this is a box named "Notifications and Filter Level". Here I have checked both boxes and my filter level is at "Medium" setting.

DigiSat

Collapse -
No pictures problem resolved
by AJShadow / November 5, 2005 5:57 AM PST

DigiSat,

I was right to give up. The problem was with amazon and not my PCs. They fixed the problem after a week - however they did not tell me what they did or what the problem was.

Thanks!

Collapse -
No pictures problem resolved
by AJShadow / November 5, 2005 6:04 AM PST

Thank you for all your help. I learned a lot trying different things, but the problem ended up an "amazon.com" problem. They fixied the problem this past week. They did not tell me what the problem was - it just started working one day. :o)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.