Laptops forum

Question

"No Operating System Found". Need help!

by tierramaya / October 1, 2011 3:09 AM PDT

Greetings, I have a HP DV9410 laptop that was acting up. After getting some misleading advice and outrageous advice from a couple of the "Big Box" stores, I found that HP had issued an "extended warranty" period on this model and agreed to replace the mother board at no charge. They explained, and I accepted the fact that everything would be erased. By the way, this unit shipped with Vista originally. I got it back and decided to install a fresh copy of XP pro, which I prefer. After a few attempts, it finally went through all the install procedures and finally gave me the big "Thumbs-Up"! Congratulations!! You're ready to go!! Enjoy!..yadda, yadda. I removed the disc, tried to restart..got "No operating system found". I tried again..same results..and again. Thought maybe my hard drive was bad. Installed a brand new hard drive I took out of a Toshiba laptop (with Win7). Same thing upon powering up. No operating system found. What could have gone wrong? Installation of Win XP took about 35 minutes. Where did the information go?, if not into my laptop?!
Any ideas would be appreciated. Should I have done something different when I first started out with a totally empty system and my XP disc?
Thanks for your time.
DC

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "No Operating System Found". Need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "No Operating System Found". Need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First
by TWB404 / October 1, 2011 3:26 AM PDT

Check the BIOS to see if it is set to boot from the HD. If so you might have bigger problems. Try a live CD. The Ubuntu link it below.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

If you want to get fancy and boot from a USB you can try this link.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

I prefer the Yumi multiboot installer. I can load several Linux programs for testing but if you want to just boot a Linux live CD you can use universal installer.

Collapse -
still confused
by tierramaya / October 1, 2011 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: First

Thanks for your response...but, how do I check the BIOS?..especially if all I have to work with is a blank screen with the "message". The is a blinking cursor..what do I type in? Thanks

Collapse -
BIOS
by TWB404 / October 1, 2011 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: still confused
Collapse -
Answer
I know that laptop. And have a question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

Ready?

-> How did you enable XP to support the SATA HDD?

-> And how did you enable XP to support drives over 127GB?

I find many owners to not be aware of these issues with "XP."
Bob

Collapse -
How to enable XP to support SATA HDD
by johnrai009 / October 1, 2011 7:35 PM PDT

Hi,

This is a very common question that many XP user's have. If you want to enable XP to support SATA HDD please go to the link given below and follow the instructions and I think you would be good to go.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

Regrading the other query, I would like to ask you whether you are using XP SP1?
In case you are using XP SP1 then you would be required to install SP2 and then go to disk management and increase the active partition.

Also, another way to do so is to enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value name: EnableBigLba

Data type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 0x1

Quit Registry Editor.

If the hard drive already is installed and formatted to 127 GB then it
will create the REST of the UNSHOWN space on that particular hard drive.

Please make a note to take a backup of the system prior to any modification in Registry.

Hope this helps... Happy

Collapse -
Thanks but I am not the one that has the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2011 3:04 AM PDT

But let me add that I've found XP SP1 to crash and burn when the SATA DRIVERS are used. This has lead me to only try installing XP SP2 and later on SATA.

Remember that I'm at some office and we can't go with what might work. Folk pay for our work so we know to avoid setups before XP SP2.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.