Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Operating System Found - HELP

by linduhh / May 24, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

I have a emachines T2240 with windows xp. here it is in a nutshell...netzero software couldnt load-said corrupted and to re-install, i uninstalled it turned my computer off - next day turned it on to a black screen that says "no operating system found" my restore discs (that came when i bought the computer brand new) didnt work, when i turn computer on now if i have a disc in (i also have a windows xp disc) i get the ram - that bios is shadowed etc (im not that computer savvy so pls be patient) but it says
fixed disc 0:MaxtorAres64k then atapi cd-rom:cr-4804te then ERROR and under that 0200:failure fixed disk 0?? I have also brought up a ghost (?) looks like a big file but dont know what to do with it? i also get msg no fixed discs present? can some please help me. i was running anti-virus programs - had my windows on auto download for updates and still this....thx for any help (sorry this is so long) thx linda

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Operating System Found - HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Operating System Found - HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Operating System Found - HELP
by kbxtra / May 24, 2006 3:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
compaq computer ,no operating system not found
by vayasjoel / July 18, 2012 5:52 PM PDT

while reboot message comes no operating system not found, how ican reboot the Pc now

Collapse -
Best start over
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 6:03 PM PDT

and create your own new discussion with full details.

This discussion is over 6 years old now and I am locking it.

Collapse -
Have you tried
by rosscbrown / May 24, 2006 4:09 PM PDT

using the MS Windows Recovery Consol?

I have solved this problem many times using it.

Unfortunately I can not remember which command it is that you require - however it is something like rebuilding or repairing the mbr (master boot record).

Best of Luck.

Collapse -
The one time I had that message
by glb613 / May 24, 2006 10:02 PM PDT

the hard drive had failed.

Collapse -
To check
by Themisive / May 25, 2006 7:00 AM PDT

If the drive's OK, reboot, does the BIOS show the drive? If it doesn't go shopping for a new one and do a complete re-load.

Unless you are able to get the data from you old hard drive, you're just going to have to chalk it up to experience and start afresh.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Exact Same Here w/ Win3.x. Never Want 2 See Again!
by tobeach / June 1, 2006 5:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
No operating system found!
by fishnet555 / May 25, 2006 9:46 PM PDT

Sounds like the hard drive cannot be located by the BIOS it is probably 'kaput'. If the master boot record of the HDD is destroyed by a virus or other means, the drive is no longer useable, and requires replacement. I have a 160GB drive sitting here in pristine condition totally unuseaable for the same reasons you mention. How the master boot record in the drive became destoyed is a mystery, however, The diagnostic disk from Western Digital concludes that the MBR has been destroyed and the drive is not only unuseable but also non repairable. A bitter pill to swallow.

Collapse -
160GB drive
by billzhills / May 25, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

Have you tried to use WD's diagnostic disk or other utility to zero the drive? If not try.....

I've had a few drives w/destroyed partition tables recovered using this method.

Collapse -
Fix it in DOS
by nycboy0156 / May 27, 2006 1:20 AM PDT

There is a command in dos for reinstalling a master boot record. Use a windows 98 or Me emergency boot disk and type
FDISK/MBR and it will reinstall a boot sector. Hope that helps, I lost mine too a long time ago.

Collapse -
by wdannex / June 10, 2010 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Fix it in DOS

Thanks for an old post. I tried everything I could find to fix my mbr with no success. Fortunately, I had an old 98 disk. worked like a charm on Win XP.

Collapse -
by nannynora / May 29, 2006 7:15 PM PDT

MBR can be repaired believe me ...
I do myself .... an repair for an old HD
You can do with Norton Disk DOCTOR try-it

Collapse -
Repairing HDD
by fishnet555 / August 25, 2006 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi

No program can repair a drive that cannot be accessed

Collapse -
no no no might not be kaput
by rwp_17 / August 25, 2006 4:35 PM PDT

1. have you pulled out and then put back in the wide cable on the hard drive

(i fixed the no hard drive recognition problem many times like that)

2. have you run fdisk /mbr (i think thats it)

but all i am saying is that your no hard drive recognition problem might be heat related

Happy best of luck to ya!

Collapse -
emachines operating system not found
by mick76126 / March 24, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

Today I turned on my computer & got the Emachine logo and shortly thereafter, the message that "no operating system found". Was convinced my hard drive failed. Checked Google for help. Found your suggestion to unplug and then replug the wide cable ribbon, motherboard to hard drive. Restarted computer and damm near fell out of my chair when the computer went right to win XP. I was minutes away from trashing the computer. Thank you very much.

Collapse -
Done that but...
by LoriLang / June 8, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

I have done this (replug the hard drive cable) a few times now and it works each time but then later on the machine dies and it must be done again. Any further ideas? I ran CHKDSK and did a defrag but it still happens.

Collapse -
If that repairs it and later fails. Hardware or ROOTKIT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Done that but...
Collapse -
Operating system not found
by jay2u / December 4, 2008 5:19 AM PST

Hi all,
I Have a laptop that runs windows xp and when I turned it on it gave me an error message Operating system not found. How do I solve this problem? It makes a small ticking sound but just for the begining and then I get this message. It's an Hp laptop. If anyone needs more info about my laptop to aid with the sollution please let me know. Thank you.

Collapse -
Let's say you want to repair a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 6:14 AM PST

And the hard disk is giving that message. Why not put in a new hard disk and install the OS?

Collapse -
No operating System Found
by Bessiemoo / March 28, 2009 6:54 AM PDT

Thank you Thank you, It worked great unplug the wide cable fromth hard drive and sure enough EVERYTHIN was there!!!! Thanks again

Collapse -
Here's Somthing to Try First,
by Trashman Dave / May 25, 2006 11:06 PM PDT

Before you have to buy a new hard drive. You need to
download a copy of "Eraser 5.7" and make a boot disk.
Put the disk in the CD Rom, let the computer bootup
from the disk, and follow the directions to erase
your hard drive. After it is done erasing, put your
recovery disk or Windows XP disk in the CD Rom and
reboot. If your hard drive is OK you should be able
to reinstall Windows at this point. if this does
not happen, then your hard drive is FUBAR and
you need a new one. Hope this helps.-Dave

Collapse -
** help ** Thanks everyone for help...see msg
by linduhh / May 25, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

I wanted to thank everyone for the not that savvy with computers. I ended up taking a different hard drive that i had and used that, i downloaded window xp from a disc i have and then my system resore discs worked (?) the ghost file that i couldnt get to before came up also. I believe that the ohter hard drive is toast..

I have anti virus software, my windows firewall, and automatic updates set for windows..does anyway have a idea maybe what could have happened?? once again thanks everyone!!! linda

Collapse -
How old
by Themisive / May 25, 2006 11:41 PM PDT

Was the drive that failed? It may well have been several things, the bearings could have failed, the firmware (the circuitry driving the heads) could have failed, the air-tight seal could have failed.

There are many more things to consider, but these are the more common ones. At the same time, did you keep the disk degragmented? If not, you could have been forcing the firmware to work harder than necessary to get the various packets of data.

Collapse -
by pc_tech_guy_2003 / May 26, 2006 12:02 AM PDT

Well, it sure seems like you have had a nasty bout into the pool of problems that computer techs face on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I think that you did a great job coming to a solution. Though I personally (nor if I was doing this as a professional) wouldn't trust that dead drive anymore, you can hook it into a system as a 'slave' drive, then see if you can format it within Windows (I'm assuming that you have an XP machine?). If it does sucessfully reformat, then it was probably just a bad file, or a virus (though like I said before, I still wouldn't trust a crashed drive without knowing what caused it).

Once it is formatted, you can try to copy some files to it just to confirm that it is working properly. If so, you COULD use it as backup for your new hard drive (not storage, but specificly backup of files). Though, if you have a CD burner, I'd just use a CD to backup my files and toss the old hard drive.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you got it fixed. If you really want to try to diagnoss it and try to fix it, I can't help you directly, but I'd happily provide some basic instructions (some people said that if the MBR goes, the disk is toast... not true. You can rebuild the MBR using a simple command). Drop me a line at: if you might be interested in trying to manually repair the MBR. But please note, if you format the drive, then repairing the MBR will do no good, as a format provides a brand new, fresh MBR! Grin

Collapse -
"good ole" Fdisk
by RRAzmatazz / May 26, 2006 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

FDisk will do a low level format of the drive - down there where the little magnets live, and rebuild a MBR ===== and zero out all your data === as well as any virus as well.

== No need to keep HD Paperweights! ====

Here's one place to find a GNU version

There also seems to be a number of utilities around that say they will rebuild your old MBR ???

Here's the search I did; results interesting.

Collapse -
by Brianstech / May 25, 2006 11:58 PM PDT

I saw the name Maxtor in there somewhere. I don't mean to bash, but I've got a stack of Maxtor paperweights. But that stack also includes 1 Seagate (my preferred brand).

No matter who made it, you need to find out if it has failed. Download GWscan:

Of course you'll need to use another computer. Download and burn to a floppy. Make sure your problem PC is set to "boot on floppy" in the BIOS. Insert floppy, and reboot.

GWscan will allow you to test your drive, and even write it to zeros. I use it all the time on many client's computers.

Now, I need to admit my recent problem with the program. I wore out my original floppy. I downloaded it again and burnt it, but it won't boot. To solve it I boot on a simple XP startup floppy (easy to make in XP), and switch it with the GWscan at the A: prompt. Then I type "gwscan.exe" (of course without quotes). It's easier than it sounds.

Collapse -
Try This
by dkaplan435 / May 26, 2006 5:24 AM PDT

I have found from time to time if you disconnect the ribbons that go from the hard drive to the motherboard and then reconnect them it seems to fix the problem of no operating system found. I hope this corrects your problem.

Collapse -
Take out the floppy disk before booting up.
by nycboy0156 / May 27, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

The only time I get a message telling me it can't find a boot disk is when I accidentally leave a CD or floppy disk in the drive. Be sure you have no CD or floppy disk in the machine when you turn it on becuase that is where the machine tries to boot from first. If there is a disk in there and it has no boot files it will report a boot failure.

Collapse -
Also, Check ALL card readers, etc.
by supercourier / June 1, 2006 4:44 PM PDT

While his message sounds simplistic, I also sometimes fail to remember leaving a card from my camera in the card reader, which Windows treats as a disk drive as sure as your hard drive. They're small and hard to see, so disconnect any cables leading to something that could be bootable and check those slots...sounds dumb, but it happens lots.

Collapse -
re Help
by nannynora / May 29, 2006 7:04 PM PDT

First of all it may be possible that your HDD partition to be NTFS and if so then a normal rescue diskette that is maded can't see these (DOS fashion)
To be more specific you need to "enter" into your pc with an bootable CD (basicly the XP CD )
and if you have data on your system and you don't wanna loose them try to get from internet a version of HIRENE's BOOT (best utility CD i've ever seen) and there are al ot of tools that can help you to repair your damage including (not so sure ) an ghost recover aplication
As ghost managers the best is NORTON GHOST but there are also a lot of recover image utility ...
you may look at the extension of the big file (the image)
and to search on net which tool manage this kind of image
Norton Nero ETC
I wish you luck !!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.