Internet Service Providers forum

No one can ping my IP Address & PC Anywhere Doesn't Work

by Daviddude / April 8, 2013 10:23 AM PDT

Hi CNET peoples,
Strange problem here, here is the history.
I have Time Warner / Roadrunner internet at my home. I was using a Linksys modem router for the internet and it wasn't the best of modems, it would lock up, I would have no internet until I power cycled the modem. PCAnywhere would work, I could connect to my home computer when I was away from home. I switched back to the Time Warner rented modem and yay, I have internet now but I can't connect to my computer via PCAnywhere. I have already done the pin hole in the router - a Linksys WRT54GS - and still PC Anywhere does not work. I can't even connect to my computer using my internal IP when I have my laptop connected. I have asked my friends to ping my external and they can't it always returns the error message of 4 packets lost 100% data loss. I have called Time Warner and all they say is "Can you connect to the internet? Yes? Then our job is done, contact your IT person for help". This makes no sense, on the other Linksys modem router PC Anywhere and pinging worked, but not on this set up. I have unplugged the modem, router, all computers for a day and powered everything back up, no change. I have already done the router reset, set up the pin hole again and no change.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No one can ping my IP Address & PC Anywhere Doesn't Work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No one can ping my IP Address & PC Anywhere Doesn't Work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not a strange issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 11:23 PM PDT

Since pings are not needed for internet connections, some providers drop them and save the bandwidth for the real work. This can really upset those that used that.

As to the other issues I can't guess what it is given the clues so far but look at your settings on the modem router and see if the PC you want to reach is in the DMZ entry.

What's the DMZ entry? It's in the router manual and explained online so let's hope that will let it work. There are also issues as folk firewall their machine. This is an area your IT skills matter.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by Daviddude / April 8, 2013 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a strange issue.

I will check the DMZ setting after I read up on the manual. As far as pin hole goes, in Applications and Gaming I have created the pin hole with the Port Range Forward option.
I just checked the DMZ and that is disabled.

Collapse -
Since port forward requires a lot of knowlege.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

I start folk with the DMZ since port forwarding is not something I can support. I know that sounds terrible but it's beyond the scope and level of support I can offer here.

Forget all port forwarding and try the DMZ. It's possible the ISP blocks remote access "for your safety" but with no less then 5 areas that can block this, you get to check all of them.

Collapse -
I fixed it.
by Daviddude / April 10, 2013 2:08 PM PDT

Thanks for your help Bob.
From your directing me to hunt and research on DMZ, I found the manual online and a set up wizard and started over from scratch on setting up the router. I somehow (not really sure how) have a new IP Address and have the router re-set up so now PCAnywhere works. As far as the ping goes, I have no idea (haven't asked anyone to ping it yet).

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I fixed it.

Glad to read that I may have helped. As you learn more you can go back to port forwarding but as you see it's not very supportable in a forum. Yes we can discuss port forwarding but as many can't find out which ports to open and some routers just fail on forwards the DMZ steps in to make it work without all the fuss.

And as the learning continues you can move to port forwarding and again, if it fails, use the DMZ.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.