I have accidentally deleted the option of creating
a new text document via the right mouse click
(New > Text Document).
Can it be restored (in the Registry?), without using
the Restore option, as much work and new programs
have been added since?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No 'New > Text Document' thru right mouse click menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No 'New > Text Document' thru right mouse click menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use Tweakui, Templates, make a new one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2004 11:54 PM PST
Collapse -
What template and from where should I take it?
by GAmnon / December 20, 2004 1:37 AM PST

What template and from where should I take it?

Collapse -
It's Tweakui...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2004 1:43 AM PST

You didn't note if you have such, or which step you are having an issue with.

As such, I can't tell what you need to do next.

Collapse -
Sure can either as Bob hinted or by...
by Edward ODaniel / December 20, 2004 2:40 AM PST

a simple Registry edit.

Adding or deleting items from the flyout of the Contest Menu New option is as simple as opening the registry editor and locating the file extension you either want to add or delete from the flyout.

Once you have located it (in your case .txt) you simply open the folder and you should see two keys ShellEx and ShellNew. In your case the ShellNew is likely missing so you add it. Then in the window on the right you add a name of NullFile and a string value of either nothing or Notepad or whatever your default text editor is.

Alternatively just whip up a quick REG file in Notepad with the following info and save it as NEW_TXT.REG then double click it and it will be merged into the registry.

(Everything between the rows of asterisks but not the asterisks themselves)

Collapse -
Both ways did not work
by GAmnon / December 20, 2004 7:56 PM PST

1. In the Registry Editor all I could find was
HKEY_USERS > Applications > Notepad Plus 1.11.exe >
shell > open > command : value data : "D:\Program Files\Notepad Plus 1.11.exe" "%1"

2. Running the NEW_TXT.REG file did not restore
the missing option.

Collapse -
I was successful wtih Tweakui.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2004 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Both ways did not work

I used notepad.exe to do this...

You have gone off and tried it with something else and are too far off the beaten path for me.

Collapse -
new text document on right click menu
by PradeepKr13 / August 19, 2010 12:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
I certainly don't recall mentioning HKEY_USERS.
by Edward ODaniel / December 21, 2004 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Both ways did not work

I specifically indicated HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt because that is where options for the NEW flyout menu are located.

Both Bob's and my methods work if you have not changed system defaults. If you have done so it is up to you to modify the instructions to point to the appropriate application for the appropriate extension if necessary.

After running the new_txt.reg you should have got a message about a successful merge--If you didn't get the message you did something wrong. What is now listed under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt? Should be a sub key of ShellEx with its own subkey of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1} and another subkey of ShellNew.

Collapse -
On the other hand, IF you mean that...
by Edward ODaniel / December 21, 2004 5:56 AM PST

the context menu itself has no NEW option here is what you need to do.

Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
Move to:
From the Edit menu select New - Key and enter a name of New. Press Enter
Move to your new New key
Double click on its default value and enter the following (copy and paste is best)
Click OK
Close the registry editor
You should now have a New item on the desktop context menu. A reboot is not needed

Collapse -
SOLUTION - No 'New > Text Document' thru right mouse click
by blackout1000 / January 5, 2008 1:25 AM PST

After following many suggestions on this and other sites, I finally got frustrated and exported the registry settings from another XP machine and imported them to the machine with the problem. I logged off and back on, and the issue was resolved.

Here are the contents of the reg file I created. Hope this helps!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"Content Type"="text/plain"

@="notepad.exe %1"

Collapse -
Reg file
by BigT2009 / September 3, 2008 3:44 AM PDT

Thanx for this reg file... It worked like a charm... You'll have to explain this file to me sometime as I'm learning about the Registry now...

Collapse -
SOLUTION - No 'New > Text Document' thru right mouse click
by BigT2009 / September 3, 2008 3:46 AM PDT

Thanx for this reg file, it works wonders... You'll have to explain this to me sometime as I'm learning the Regisry...

Collapse -
REply to No New - Text Document...
by jaugeri / September 8, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

I too have been struggling with this, and there has got to be more to it than the fixes mentioned here. I have created the Reg Key files as noted herein and imported them into the Win-XP registry as suggested. After all is said and done, I do actually see an entry in the Desktop Context menu for a new Text Document; However, I only ever get to use it ONCE, and then it is gone again! Could it be that there is something getting out of sync with my machine and the current user (me)? This is just killing me as I create a LOT of Text Docs in the course of a normal day.

Anyone have any updated or fresh ideas on this?

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / September 8, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you
by mol550 / July 28, 2011 11:16 AM PDT
Happy thank you, that was helpful, it works,

i always do this trick to copy from my other computer registry, but this time i could not find the key for the text doument to copy from.,, thank you

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.