Computer Newbies

General discussion

"no name" item in startup list on msconfig?

by tekchallenged / March 10, 2007 5:40 PM PST

To stop programs running on startup, I was directed to msconfig. There is an entry in the startup list which has no item name or command name. What could this be and why wouldn't it have a name? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "no name" item in startup list on msconfig?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "no name" item in startup list on msconfig?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It could be something. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 10, 2007 10:38 PM PST

you don't want. Google Process Explorer, download it, install it, run it. It'll identify in plain English running processes. Or Google Starter, it'll tell you what starts at boot-up. Both free and very informative. You can control what starts and runs. Much better than msconfig.

Collapse -
It shouldn't be running any more
by tekchallenged / March 11, 2007 9:57 AM PDT

As I unchecked it, it shouldn't be running any more? I look at my processes which come up when you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and have googled them to see what they are - there doesn't seem to be anything new or unusual in there. Can something be running that doesn't show up there?

Collapse -
(NT) Did you read the link from JP Bill?
by Coryphaeus / March 11, 2007 10:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Did you read the link from JP Bill?
by tekchallenged / March 11, 2007 12:21 PM PDT

Yes

Collapse -
Ah...Since It Was UNChecked...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 2:25 PM PDT

...you may need to remove it manually from the registry.. Sometimes, blank "msconfig" entries will disappear correctly if the associated program is uninstalled. If the "msconfig" entry is UNCHECKED, then it can stick around.. ON and XP machine, try removing it by finding the blank entry at the path below.. (Make sure to create a registry backup before deleting any entries.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\

In the "startupreg" folder/key, you should see all of the listings which have been UNCHECKED in "msconfig". Searching through those entries by clicking ONCE on each of those folders should indicate which one is blank.. Deleting that folder, (AS LONG AS you've uninstalled the program should eliminate it from "msconfig".)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry, non comprendo
by tekchallenged / March 11, 2007 6:12 PM PDT

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what is going on....
I posted another post had programs running which I never set to run and didn't need, but they weren't in the startup folder under "programs" so that I could remove them from startup. I was told that I can stop them from running by unchecking them in the startup list on msconfig, which I did, including this mystery blank entry. It is only unchecked because I unchecked it. I don't know which program it is, or was, or whether it has been uninstalled or not. (It doesn't seem to have upset anything taking it out of startup.) It looks to me like it might be something to do with the game controller - that entry on that registry key seems (half?) empty... I lost my USB driver (apparently) and the printer stopped working, so maybe whatever went bung with that caused this? If it's something like that, it's ok, as long as it's not some virus or something bad...

Collapse -
It's Your Choice Now..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, non comprendo

The cause for the blank entry has been explained now in the previous posts.

The method for removing the blank entry has been explained now in previous posts..

And you're reasons for leaving alone have been explained by you now..

At this point, it's your choice on how to proceed. Leave it as it is...or remove the entry.

Good luck.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, I still don't understand, I'll just give up (n/m)
by tekchallenged / March 12, 2007 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: It's Your Choice Now..
Collapse -
As Wayne said, and some more reading
by JP Bill / March 10, 2007 10:50 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.