Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

No Longer Able to Download Video from Internet

by odysseus1 / January 30, 2009 5:49 AM PST

All of a sudden I an not able to download video clips from the internet. Previously, a "download this video" box would appear, and if I clicked on it, the video would download in real as an flv file. Another thing that is confusing is that Real Player doesn't play flv extensions, but these have the real logo next to them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Longer Able to Download Video from Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Longer Able to Download Video from Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not able to download video
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 6:09 PM PST

There are a number of issues here.

1] Why are you no longer able to download videos? You didn't say what happens now. Any error messages?

2] From which sites?

3] I am not sure what, "the video would download in real as an flv file" means. FLV is a video file type, and if the video held on the web site is available for download, it will download as an flv file, eg "filename.flv". Real Player should not be involved.

4] If Real Player does not play FLV files, then you need an FLV player, for example the VLC Media Player will play FLV videos. Google will help you find that.

5] Which browser are you using?

6] Are you sure these videos are available for download? Some sites, eg YouTube, hold the copyright for the videos uploaded to them, and they are not available for download.

7] What Real logo? Do you mean that any FLV files you already have on your computer have a Real icon? If so, you will need to re-associate the FLV files to whatever media software you normally use to watch them. Right click the file, select "Open with", then select "Choose program". Make sure the option to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is selected.

I hope that helps, and tell us more about this problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Can't Download Video Files From Internet.
by odysseus1 / February 4, 2009 9:43 AM PST

There are a number of issues here.

1] Why are you no longer able to download videos? You didn't say what happens now. Any error messages?
No error messages. I no longer get a "download video" pop up box. Pop up blockers are off.

2] From which sites? All, but pimarily moneyshow.com, zacks.com, other investment sites. I had been able to download for months until a few weks ago. The only thing that changed was I performed windows update. After that, I reset my restore point to a month ago, but still couldn't download.

3] I am not sure what, "the video would download in real as an flv file" means. FLV is a video file type, and if the video held on the web site is available for download, it will download as an flv file, eg "filename.flv". Real Player should not be involved.
I understand that. The real logo was by the clip, but real doesn't support flv files. I thought that was pretty strange that they were downloaded in real, and had the R logo.

4] If Real Player does not play FLV files, then you need an FLV player, for example the VLC Media Player will play FLV videos. Google will help you find that.
I have VLC on my computer, and it plays the flv files. I just can't get them to download.
5] Which browser are you using?
Internet explorer 7

6] Are you sure these videos are available for download? Some sites, eg YouTube, hold the copyright for the videos uploaded to them, and they are not available for download.
They had been available for months, and from multiple sites. All of a sudden it stopped. That's why I think it must be something I did, not the sites.

7] What Real logo? Do you mean that any FLV files you already have on your computer have a Real icon? If so, you will need to re-associate the FLV files to whatever media software you normally use to watch them. Right click the file, select "Open with", then select "Choose program". Make sure the option to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is selected.

I hope that helps, and tell us more about this problem.

Thanks for your patience and help. I don't know a lot about media files. I appreciate your guidance.

Collapse -
Got it, and thanks for the further information.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 6:56 PM PST

Another question for you, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

When you say you can't 'download' videos, do you mean you cannot download the videos from the web site(s) to save onto your hard drive, to watch later? Or do you mean you cannot watch them from within the Internet Browser itself, from the web site?

Often users confuse watching a video directly from the web page, (streaming video), with downloading a video file to the computer, saving it to the hard drive, so it can be viewed at a later stage.

This is what I found.

1] I was able to watch videos from both web sites, (http://www.moneyshow.com and http://www.zacks.com). But neither site allowed me to download the videos to save them onto my hard disk.

2] I used two different browsers, IE7 and Firefox, and they both showed the videos without problem.

3] In moneyshow.com the videos were displayed using the JW FLV Media Player. In IE my Security settings kept asking me if I wanted to allow ActiveX. These are Internet Explorer components that are downloaded and installed by web sites to allow the user to interact fully with those web sites. ActiveX can either be signed, (generally safe), or unsigned, (safety is not guaranteed), and can be blocked, allowed, or prompted to allow in IE Tools > Internet Options > Security tab, then the IE Globe Custom settings button. In my own IE I have blocked all unsigned ActiveX, but set for prompting for any signed ActiveX, hence the prompt I received to allow ActiveX. I had to allow them to see the videos.

In zacks.com the videos are played in something called etvmedia, also an FLV Media Player, but I also had to allow ActiveX.

It may be that your IE Security settings are now set too high to allow any ActiveX, so perhaps you an check those.

I note from zacks.com that their videos are available at YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/user/ZacksInvestmentNews

In Firefox there were no such prompts.

4] In IE, if you are on the page where any particular video is supposed to be displayed, you may see an option to "Download the FLV player". If not, right click the video area to see what options you have. For example I was able to select "About FLV Player", and a small page opened up asking if I wanted to download the player's browser plugin. I didn't go any further as the videos worked for me.

5] I didn't see any Real logos when playing these videos, so I am not sure why you are seeing those. I must admit I am unsure of why that is.

Does any of that help?

Mark

Collapse -
Can't Download Video.
by odysseus1 / February 12, 2009 11:36 PM PST

Wow.

I think you have it. I can watch, but can't download to watch later.

I'll check the security settings and get back to you.

Back to the voyage.

Collapse -
I am having the same problem
by katekatekatekate / February 12, 2009 8:53 AM PST

Did you figure out what's going on with your player and why that pop up doesn't come up anymore? the one that says....download this video?
stupid thing geeeeeze this friggin windows media player is giving me problems over and over....anyway if you figured out what went wrong i sure would appreciate some help

Collapse -
question for oddessus...or how ever you spell that...LOL
by katekatekatekate / February 12, 2009 8:57 AM PST

what media player were you using when it DID download off the internet etc? GOd I uninstalled mine and now I forget which player it was...

Collapse -
clarification
by LdyTorie / February 15, 2009 2:09 PM PST

I understand exactly what Oddessus is speaking of. Previously, when I went to a site where there was a download available, if I moved my cursor over the video, I got a pop-up option to "download this video". When chosen, it would download with whatever file extention format the video was and when I clicked it on my Windows Explorer, it would play with the default player for that file extention (as long as I had not reassociated the file extention with a different player). I am in the same boat because I no longer receive that download option pop-up. I think it is something that was reset either in IE Explorer or my OS, which is Windows XP Pro. My feeling is that this was done via updates or whatever that reset the internet options and I haven't been able to determine area should be enabled, disabled or set to prompt. I have been trying to find a solution for this for a long time. So far, I have NOT been able to resolve the problem. It sure is frustrating!

Collapse -
In that case then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 7:28 PM PST
In reply to: clarification

As this problem is now not confined to just the one user, I wonder if there has been a change in the web sites, rather than an update or other problem.

Has anyone contacted those sites to explain their difficulties? It could be more widespread than we think, or it could be a change in policy decision, and their replies could be interesting.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Contacting sites
by LdyTorie / February 16, 2009 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: In that case then

Mark, in response to whether the sites have been contacted, I have done so. I have either received no response from them or have been told it has nothing to do with the sites, but must be a setting in my IE or OS.

I have spent hours researching and making changes one at a time to IE, then testing, without any positive results. I will say this ... while on a friend's computer, I went to one of the sites that gave me the pop-up before on my home computer and THERE IT WAS, so from that I have to assume it is something with my computer.

Thanks for your input.

Trisha

Collapse -
Ahh, that's interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 16, 2009 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Contacting sites

So it does seem that this is a setting in IE.

I tried the two sites stated with both my IE7 and Firefox, and I was unable to download from either site.

I've just tried http://www.moneyshow.com in Firefox. I have a Firefox Add-on called NoScript installed and this helps me prevent unwanted scripts from running within the browser. But even with allowing all of the scripts from that site, I could not find a way to download any of the videos. I could play them in the browser without problem.

When I looked at their FAQ, http://www.moneyshow.com/faq.asp I could see plenty of mention about videos and how to watch them, but I couldn't see anything, (admittedly just a quick glance through), about how to download them. However, I can see a section about how to download Podcasts, but as this discussion is about downloading videos, I didn't try that.

In http://www.zacks.com I tried a different approach. I did not allow any scripts in Firefox but that stopped me from playing videos. As soon as I allowed them all, I could play the videos, but again, I could see no way to download them. All I could find, clicking one of the icons displayed on their video player whilst it was playing, was an option to Email a link for the video, Embed a link to the video in my own web site, Link, (seemed to do nothing), or RSS, for an RSS feed.

I checked their FAQ, and found even less about videos, and nothing about downloading them. http://www.zacks.com/help/faq/index.php

So I am at a loss here. I didn't try any of these with IE this time, but I got the same results with IE and FF the last time I tried.

Mark

Collapse -
I GOT MY POP UP BACK......YAY
by katekatekatekate / February 16, 2009 6:46 AM PST

I went to this site here and downloaded realplayer again...........works great......

http://www.real.com/

download the free version

Collapse -
Nice work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 16, 2009 6:53 AM PST

and congratulations for discovering what to do.

Mark

Collapse -
reloaded Real player and it still doesn't work for downloads
by mato65 / April 3, 2010 12:58 AM PDT

This problem all started last night when I made the mistake of responding to one of those invitations for an 'update" to Real Player (which of course had been downloading and saving videos for me just fine.) Now I don't get the option to download while viewing a video. I downloaded the free Real Player again and it still doesn't work. What to do?

Collapse -
As you can see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 3, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

from the above, we were at a loss what had happened. But the original poster said that they had reinstalled Real Player and got the option back.

All I can suggest is, uninstall Real Player, (good luck with that, it can be notoriously difficult to remove), reboot the computer, then reinstall Real Player.

If that fails, tell the web site and hope they can supply guidance.

Mark

Collapse -
Download this video, not working
by hr2hlpu / September 3, 2010 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: As you can see

1- go to tools
2- Manage Add-ons
3- Select first opttion " Tools Bar and Extension"
Scroll down till you locate section for
Name RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer
Publisher RealNetworks, Inc.

In the status, make sure it is enabled
Status Enabled

Collapse -
Downloading video
by Kees Bakker / February 16, 2009 6:47 AM PST

I must agree with you, Mark. I went to www.moneyshow.com/video/video.asp?t=1

That gives 1851 video's (not all on the first page, luckily), but when I right click I don't get the 'download this video' option, neither in Firefox nor in IE7. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen in any browser.

So I assume it was something some people (but not you and me) installed in their browser themselves.

Kees

Collapse -
My conclusion was right.
by Kees Bakker / February 16, 2009 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Downloading video

While I wrote my post, there appeared a post above that said you had to need real player to get it. And I don't have installed that. Apparently you don't have either.

Kees

Collapse -
AHh.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 16, 2009 6:52 AM PST

Yes I do have the RealPlayer plugin installed in FF, but I have disabled it.

Yep that explains it then.

Mark

Collapse -
"Download this video" button no longer appear!
by rcmaio / March 26, 2009 2:15 AM PDT

Lat night, I was tempted to install IE No.8 add-on. When I found it no good, I uninstalled it and went back to old IE7. When I looked some videos, the "Download this video" button no longer appear. I tried the same videos that I downloaded before, the button is still missing. I checked the Plugin updates of the Real Player, I checked the IE tool "add-on" enables, all are fine. But the button still does not appear. Someone can tell me what I can do?

Collapse -
Did you check the solutions offered here?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2009 3:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Another automatic thing that stopped at the same time
by LdyTorie / February 16, 2009 11:00 AM PST

At the same time that the "download this video" disappeared, the ability to click on a code in sites like photobucket and have it copied when you click it stopped working. Photobucket made an announcement that it was due to a problem with an IE update or flash or something ... can't remember exactly, but said they were working on the compatibility. I can see the possibility of real player needing to be installed on the videos, but not on the copy feature on sites like Photobucket. It is very interesting that these TWO things stopped working at exactly the same time.

Trisha

Collapse -
HI
by katekatekatekate / February 16, 2009 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Contacting sites

Did you find out where the DOWNLOAD VIDEO pop up went to? I still can't get it....

Collapse -
Downloaded Real again. Now it works! Thanks!
by odysseus1 / February 17, 2009 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: HI

I went to the real player download site that KATE... referenced. It works!

Collapse -
I have had Real Player installed for a long time ... but ..
by LdyTorie / February 17, 2009 1:34 PM PST

I went ahead and reinstalled just in case it had been corrupted. I still do not have the "download this video" pop-up nor do I have the auto copy when clicking on codes such as in photobucket! Frustrating indeed!

Trisha

Collapse -
missing "download this video" button
by franknak / February 20, 2009 3:35 PM PST

A recent version of either Firefox or Real Player has caused my "download this video" button to be missing in the Vista "User" mode.

Here are some observations:
1. downloading and re-installing Real Player made no difference.
2. turning off the UAC made no difference.
3. the button is not missing with Firefox in the "Administrator" mode.
4. the button is not missing with Windows Explorer in either the "User" or the "Administrator" mode.

I haven't done anything with the Registry Editor.

ft

Collapse -
I got that little missing 'download this video' back!
by LdyTorie / February 21, 2009 12:47 AM PST

Wanted to let everyone know how I got it back. Make sure you do NOT have any Real ALTERNATIVE programs installed. My daughter had installed Real Alternative without my knowledge. Apparently, that took the focus off Real Player and wouldn't let the settings execute in it. I found the Real Alternative program, uninstalled it (and threatened my daughter LOL) and now I have the 'download this video' pop up back! I still do not have the automatic copy of codes from sites like Photobucket and other graphics sites, but from what I understand that is due to a conflict of a Windows update and the automatic copy feature.

Trisha

Collapse -
Can't Download Video
by odysseus1 / May 7, 2009 4:14 AM PDT

Your suggestion to reinstall Rael Player worked for awhiloe. Now I can't do it again. I have uninstalled ad reinstalled real player from the site you referenced, but can't get the download button. Any ideas?

Collapse -
No Longer Able to Download Video from internet..
by stevezachjohnson / April 4, 2009 2:38 AM PDT

Do you happen to be using Realplayer in order to download videos into FLV? Just a general suggestion, try to check your browser's plug ins.

Collapse -
download this video not appearing.
by brownboots101 / May 2, 2010 7:41 AM PDT

THIS HAPPENED TO ME. AFTER TRYING LOTS, I WENT INTO SYSTEM RESTORE, BACK THREE WEEKS AND HEY PRESTO, ALL NOW IS OK . ALL I HAD DONE A FEW DAYS AGO WAS A "DISC CLEAN UP" . WHETHER THIS HAD CAUSED IT I DONT KNOW. WORTH TRYING.

Collapse -
Respond to : "No Longer Able to Download Video from Internet
by hr2hlpu / August 31, 2010 5:04 AM PDT

1- go to tools
2- Manage Add-ons
3- Select first opttion " Tools Bar and Extension"
Scroll down till you locate section for
Name RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer
Publisher RealNetworks, Inc.

In the status, make sure it is enabled
Status Enabled

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.