Samsung

General discussion

No Dolby Sound output on LCD TV

by NauticalNut / May 26, 2010 10:48 PM PDT

Hi,
I just recently purchased a samsung ln46c610 lcd tv and a bd 5500 bluray player. I have them connected together via hdmi with an optical digital out to my JVC home theatre system. The probelm is , on the tv set for audio, it is set to pcm only and the dolby is grayed out. I al so trying the bluray player to make sure it was dolby out. I contacted samsung support by phone and they tried a few things but to no avail. I am getting HD tv this week via cable and will try using that system as something to output digital dolby to home system. The home system does dolby and DTS and worked fine on the older DVD player i used. Cany comments or support is welcome!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Dolby Sound output on LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Dolby Sound output on LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Dolby Sound output on LCD TV
by _jr_ / May 27, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

The PCM/Dolby option you mention only works for the tuner. If your input is HDMI as you indicate, it has no effect on it and therefore is grayed out.
Try changing the Source to TV - you should now be able to toggle between PCM and Dolby, but again, this has no effect on the audio from other inputs.
_jr_

Collapse -
still no Dolby
by NauticalNut / May 27, 2010 8:17 AM PDT

I have the Tuner set on tv Digital input. IT is connected to the TV via optical digital cable and worked prior on the DVD player automatically knowing if it was Dolby, DTS etc. The TV still has Dolby grayed out. I am waiting for the cable company tomorrow to install HD TV and see if the signal changes. If not the rep from Samsung said the Blu-ray play has to be outputting Dolby to allow the TV to be changed. Just going to see what happens or take the Blu-ray player back for testing.

Collapse -
still no Dolby
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 27, 2010 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: still no Dolby

NauticalNut,

The Blu-Ray's audio should be directly connected to the receiver via optical (or HDMI passthrough, through the receiver).

If you're not getting an option for Dolby in the menu with OTA signals, it may be that the broadcaster either isn't sending the Dolby signal, or it's not available in your area.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
still no Dolby
by _jr_ / May 27, 2010 1:22 PM PDT

>>>I have the Tuner set on tv Digital input.>>>

That's not what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

You have to set the source on the *TV* to digital tuner, aka Antenna input/COAX, or most likely labeled as simply TV (SOURCE button on the TV remote), to activate the Dolby/PCM option. Basically, the Dobly/PCM toggle option only works for signals coming into the TV via COAX cable.
Both BDP and, hopefully, your new Cable Box will be connected to the TV via HDMI, and, therefore, this menu is irrelevant in your case. It is grayed out for a reason.

_jr_

Collapse -
Sound optical
by AltecBX / May 29, 2010 7:20 PM PDT

Why is this grayed out for other hdmi sources?

Collapse -
Still no dolby
by NauticalNut / May 29, 2010 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound optical

I now have digital HD cable. All devices are HDMI to the TV as I was told. the optical out from TV goes to my JVC receiver tuner. The option for Dolby on the TV is still grayed out. I must be missing something or the Dolby on the TV does not work.

Collapse -
Fix?
by philstonge / March 24, 2012 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Still no dolby

Did you ever get this problem fixed?
I am having the same issue.
Thanks.

Collapse -
No fix possible. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2012 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Fix?

Part of the HD mandate is that when HD content arrives at a device that can render it, what is passed on shall be Stereo or in the case of video, standard definition.

This means that no maker can fix this issue. It's a shame folk tend to not share what a mess HD is. These rules create situations where it could work, but will never work as the consumer had hoped it would.

Bob

Collapse -
Well, possible yes?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 26, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: No fix possible. Why?

Running the cable from the cable box to the receiver using optical audio would do the trick.

There's not "no fix", it's just re-routing the audio and bypassing the TV.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Absolutely the right fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, possible yes?

And agrees with the HD "rules" about rendering Audio or Video and how pass through works. By sending it direct, we're playing by the rules and it works.
Bob

Collapse -
Sound optical
by _jr_ / June 1, 2010 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound optical

Straight out of the manual:

"... When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater..."

Therefore, the option for selecting Dolby or PCM is grayed out for HDMI soruces, as, in theory, only 2-Ch PCM is put out. This is by design. However, some have reported that certain bitstream audio (?) can be passed through the TV to an HT from a BDP configured a certain way. More on that can be found on this Forum.

_jr_

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.