Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

no desktop icons after logging in....

by pauole / June 20, 2009 1:46 PM PDT

I have an ibook g4 that was given to me...after logging in it comes up with a blue screen with designs I believe standard for the wallpaper. But there are no icons or anytype of menu. Ive moved the mouse around and clicked to see if it was hidden but to no avail nothing happened, also i put a cd in and it didn't play... i am new to the mac arena and need all the help i can get...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no desktop icons after logging in....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no desktop icons after logging in....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your iBook G4 did not boot correctly,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 20, 2009 10:14 PM PDT

in that the boot sequence was not completed.

The usual fix is to shut it down and reboot.

However, if this happens everytime you start up the computer, then the next step is to reinstall the OS using the OS X install disks, but I will bet that your benefactor failed to pass along either the original disks that came with the computer or the installation disks for the OS that is installed on that machine.

Without those disks you are very limited as to what you can do to fix this problem.

Try restarting the ibook and as soon as you hear the chimes, hold down the shift key. Keep it down until you see the spinning gear under the Apple.
If it starts correctly, you have something correct in the additional things that the OS loads.

Let us know how you get on, and whether you have any System disks for this machine, and we can go from there.

P

Collapse -
original discs
by boni777 / June 21, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

FYI: I was also given a Macbook with no discs. I just called apple, gave them the serial # of my machine, and they're sending me a complete set, with no mention of any cost. (If they do charge me, I'll let everyone know.

Collapse -
(NT) That sounds like a deal!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 21, 2009 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: original discs
Collapse -
ibook g4 did not boot correctly
by pauole / June 24, 2009 3:40 AM PDT

Did the power up, and the shift key... came up with the safe boot, logged in, blue screen with designs and no icons, seen the little sign that the computer was thinking then it went to a straight up blue screen and the mouse pointer... nothing else... no disc.... still waiting from friend for them

Collapse -
(NT) what happened to the ones from Apple?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 24, 2009 3:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
disks
by pauole / June 25, 2009 11:29 AM PDT

would any mac os10 work? or is it dependent on the version being that the ibook g4 is rather old

Collapse -
Versions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 25, 2009 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: disks

Any version of OS X, below 10.5, should work as long as the disk is a retail copy of OS X.
10.4.11 is probably the highest I would go with that G4.

Restore disks are usually machine specific, not always, but mostly, and contain only the information necessary for the machine it was made for.
Retail copies have all the information for all the Apple line.

Try what you have and see

P

Collapse -
apple discs
by boni777 / June 26, 2009 4:28 PM PDT

I got them, and they didn't charge me at all!

Collapse -
Great!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 26, 2009 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: apple discs

Now you can get on with the Archive and Install and be back in business before you know it.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.