Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

no D:\ drive icon in My Computer

by giffman / September 22, 2005 4:29 PM PDT

for some reason my computer wont read any CDs when i insert them in the CD-rom drive...and when i tried to open them in the D:\ drive in My Computer, the D:\ icon isnt even there.....i dont know much about computers, and i was wondering if it is possible to get that icon back

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no D:\ drive icon in My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no D:\ drive icon in My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What has changed since the drive...
by Edward ODaniel / September 23, 2005 12:26 AM PDT

last worked?

Has it ever worked?

How old is the drive?

Do you have a BOOTABLE CD you could try to boot from as a check on whether the drive itself is dead?

Was it maybe hidden by someone with TweakUI?

Who else uses the computer?

Collapse -
what changed on my computer
by matt71 / September 23, 2005 4:56 PM PDT

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm having the same problem. I have a Pentium 4 based system with an Intel motherboard running Windows ME. My problem started after I installed an external USB CD-RW drive. It worked ok but you would have to remove each time before you shut windows down. Of course I eventually forgot and my internal CD-rom drive has not shown up on the My Computer page. The external drive also disappeared. I looked in the system info file and it had no drive letter asigned to the drive and its status was unknown. Any ideas?

Collapse -
D Drive
by jasondouglas1 / September 24, 2005 12:06 PM PDT

Me 3. My cd-rom recently will not recognize any cds, etc.

Help!

Collapse -
same problem!
by gypsymom / September 24, 2005 2:42 PM PDT

I have the same problem;my hp xt953 with pentium 3 and Me edition is doing the same thing. I'm the only one who uses this, no new devices installed yet, and i've driven myself nuts trying to figure this out. I'm self taught, and not too bad, but the hp and microsoft troubleshooting guides haven't helped....any accessible quick fixes? I don't want to take the whole thing apart, please.

Collapse -
A Question
by colindarby / September 24, 2005 6:43 PM PDT

Go to = My Computer = Right Click = Properties = Device Manager = Have a look at = CD Rom [Click on the + ] = and let us know if you have the CD Rom listed? =

Await your reply?

Collapse -
No D: drive listed
by indrpl / October 21, 2005 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: A Question

I went to the following and cannot see the d drive listed.

Collapse -
Scan for hardware changes
by indrpl / October 21, 2005 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No D: drive listed

Ok did what you asked of me, and then clicked on scan for hardware changes, and the drive appeared. Try that.

PS. using win 2K

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.