Computer Help forum

General discussion

No COM or LPT Ports available in Device Manager in Win XP

by wltucker / June 27, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

The COM and LPT tab are not present in the device manager. I am needing to re-assign com ports for modems and cannot access them. Can anyone tell me how to make the device manager show the COM and LPT tab. Windowds XP SP2

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No COM or LPT Ports available in Device Manager in Win XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No COM or LPT Ports available in Device Manager in Win XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe there are none or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

Someone forgot to install motherboard drivers?

Collapse -
You didn't give us any info re your system
by VAPCMD / June 27, 2008 11:19 PM PDT

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system mfg name, series and model number; your operating system, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
System Info
by wltucker / June 28, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name 53F4FCFB03A24FF
System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
System Model VGN-FJ170
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1728 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD R0060X6, 9/9/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 91.18 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Collapse -
What exactly is happening
by wltucker / June 28, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: System Info

I have installed the PDAnet program on my computer and my Windows mobile 6.0 phone so I can have internet acess when I am not in area with WIFI. When installing the program PDA net automatically assigned COM 7 as the port. It shows that the phone connects to the computer but when I go to get online in will not access, giving me a 633 error on my computer. After investigating further, it seems that the connection when I pull up IE is trying to go through COM 3, which is the port that the original modem on the computer is assigned to. I have even gone in and disabled the original computer modem and re-installed the PDA net program to try to get it to re-assign itself to the COM 3 port, but it automatically assigns itself to COM 7. The PDA net automatically sets the Modem up so I cannot chagne what communication port the program itself uses. I was instructed to go into the device manager and manually change the communication port to COM 3 so it will connect, but the COM ports are not available or visible on the device manager.

Collapse -
I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

Is BLUETOOTH involved here? (and a plea too, please don't skimp on such details.)

Collapse -
No Bluetooth
by wltucker / June 28, 2008 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I wonder.

I am connecting the phone to my computer with the USB cable. My phone is blue tooth capable but my PC is not.

Collapse -
Can see COM ports- How do I change the COM port assignments
by wltucker / June 28, 2008 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: No Bluetooth

I was able to see the ports by following the instructions located in the link below. The strange thing is that the device manager is not showing that anything is using the COM 3 port but the computer is till acting like it is being used by the computers original modem even though I disabled the driver. How can I change the COM port for the PDA net program driver from COM 8 to COM 3?

Collapse -
Modem COM ports are not showing up
by wltucker / June 28, 2008 8:09 AM PDT

The PDAnet program is assigned to COM 7 and the original modem is tied to COM 3. Now when I go to the device manager neither the COM 3(with the original modem driver enabled) or COM 7 ports are not showing up under the Ports tree. Should I be looking somewhere else for these? I thought that they should show up under that tree in the device manager. I am able to see what communication port the two modems are tied to by going into the control panel and opening the phone and modem options.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.