Computer Help

Question

"No Boot Device Available" with brand new hard drive.

by aagnone1 / January 16, 2012 10:16 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I recently got a dysfunctional computer from a friend claiming the board had problems. He had obviously taken the hard drive before giving it to me since prices are skyrocketing for them. So I bought a new one and correctly put it in the computer. CD boot is number one on the sequence and it always gives me the no boot device available message. Is there any other possibilities other than that the motherboard is not working properly? Also, can anyone actually give me some specifics to look at? I feel like investigating the problem as opposed to simply saying "oh well, this doesn't work" and go buy a new board. Thank you for your time.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "No Boot Device Available" with brand new hard drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "No Boot Device Available" with brand new hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: brand new hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 10:21 PM PST

You forgot a small detail: to install an OS (Windows or Linux) on that brand new hard disk.

Of course, if the motherboard really is defective, the install will most likely fail. Then you might have to buy a new board also. If that isn't compatible with the CPU and the RAM on the current one, your shopping list will have to contain a new CPU and new RAM also.

Anyway, it's free to try with Linux.

Kees

Collapse -
That's that im trying to do, install an OS via disc
by aagnone1 / January 17, 2012 2:21 AM PST

That's what im trying to do, install as OS via disc. I have both a windows installation disc and a linux cd), however the windows i have is 64-bit, and the processor is 32-bit. So im stuck with trying linux. In either case though the cd never even loads because no boot device is found. I was starting to think that the disk drive may be faulty but i actually received two identical towers and i get the same error for both. I doubt both bays are faulty considering my friend said they never gave him a problem.

Collapse -
Ahh, old used stuff?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 2:28 AM PST

It may take some longer than others to learn to reach for a new DVDRW drive when the CD that boots elsewhere does not boot even when the BIOS is set to boot from the optical drive.

I won't explain at length this common problem but did you set the BIOS to boot from your good booted it somewhere else CD or about how booting from CD will fail on old drives that work otherwise issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: installing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 5:26 AM PST

If it doesn't boot from the CD/DVD, that can have 3 causes:
1. The disk isn't bootable. Try at another PC.
2. The BIOS isn't set to boot from the DVD-drive. Go into the BIOS setup and change it.
3. The drive is defective and needs to be replaced. Buy another drive.

Kees

Collapse -
Bringing it up again to save posting a new thread.
by DeadGirlWalking / January 11, 2013 5:31 PM PST
In reply to: Re: installing

So I have the same error, now at first my error was hard disk not found so I pulled apart an old ps3 and stuck that in. Now the error is Boot disk not found, so I burned an ISO image to a DVD, changed the bios to attempt booting up the Linux OS from the DVD, took a bit longer but Still the error came back up, so I went to the options to scan the hard drive and on both tests it seemed there was no problem, also it worked in the ps3 and also made the hard drive error go away. I have Google's so much and found out what I could and this is where I am stuck. What am I missing here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS the problem with my HP started when my laptop was on. o flipped it over because I was looking to see if I could fond the sticker to look up my warranty and when I turned it back over after realizing for some reason mine didn't have that sticker, I found it had froze. So I held down the power off button, and when I turned it back on, the hard drive error was there. And yes I am past my warranty.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.