Computer Help forum

General discussion

"No boot device available"?

by cubs123 / July 25, 2009 11:02 AM PDT

My computer went into the blue screen of death a moment ago and now it wont start up, instead I get the message "No boot device available- press F1 to retry or F2 for setup". I recently had a problem with a Trojan horse on my computer and now it looks like it may be the culprit. How serious is this and what can I do to fix it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "No boot device available"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "No boot device available"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you boot to Safe Mode?
by Coryphaeus / July 25, 2009 11:33 AM PDT

If not the hard drive may be toast.

Collapse -
well
by cubs123 / July 25, 2009 11:38 AM PDT

First off, thanks for replying.

No, I press F8 which I'm sure is the key to get to the menu to lauch safe mode and I receive the exact same "No boot device" message. Luckily my PC has two hard drives, the second having Documents and Settings backed up on to it. So 1, how can I tell if the main hard drive is shot and 2, if not what can I do?

Collapse -
I'm afraid . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 25, 2009 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: well

the drive is dead.

Do you have the Recovery CD that came with the PC? If so you can try to boot with it and see if it can see the hard drive. If so you may be able to do a recovery. If the CD does not detect the hard drive, it doesn't look good. Or, do you have the XP CD? If so try to boot with it and see if it will detect the drive. You may be able to format the drive and reinstall XP. Since you have backups you may be OK.

The only way to test it is with another computer. Use an external USB-2 case and see if another PC can see the drive.

Have you checked the connections inside the case? Have you been doing anything inside the case?

If all the above tests fail you now have a nice door stop. A new drive is in order.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
Daylight Savings Time - "Only white man would believe you could cut off top of blanket, sew it to bottom of blanket, and have longer blanket."

Collapse -
heres the deal..
by cubs123 / July 26, 2009 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm afraid . . .

I did a hard drive diagnostic from the boot sequence menu and the drive passed. I'm not going to reinstall the operating system and then restore the backed up files from the secondary drive. I think I got it under control from here.

Thanks for the assistance,
Charles

Collapse -
no boot device available
by ericmaypatricia / March 17, 2010 7:12 PM PDT

My computer went into the blue screen of death a moment ago and now it wont start up, instead I get the message "No boot device available- press F1 to retry or F2 for setup".

Collapse -
Then the most likely diagnoses are:
by Kees Bakker / March 17, 2010 7:16 PM PDT

1. Hard disk gone south.
2. Motherboard gone south.

Find a tech to:
- find out what's wrong
- tell you how much the repair will be (and advice on doing or discarding the PC)
- save the data you forgot to backup (if possible)

Kees

Collapse -
Solving the problem of no boot device available
by Mpu_Dayat / February 28, 2012 12:42 PM PST

Solving the problem of no boot device available is a substitute for CD / DVD Room.

no boot device available caused by the first computer booting is not detected because no damage or interference with the CD / DVD to your computer room. I suggest to replace the CD / DVD Room on your computer.
This is my experience that is also experiencing the same problem and how it managed to overcome them.

good luck.
hopefully useful

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.