TVs & Home Theaters

Question

No bass from Sony str hd520 receiver

by scottwski / January 26, 2013 12:05 AM PST

I just bought Sony str hd520 receiver and have it hooked to to large front speakers, a center speaker, and a sub woofer, but very little bass even with bass turned all the way up in settings menu. I feel like there is a setting I am missing. Help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No bass from Sony str hd520 receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No bass from Sony str hd520 receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Powered or Passive?
by sunwatcher / January 26, 2013 1:17 PM PST

Do you have a powered or passive subwoofer? Make/model?

If it's a powered sub, then have you set the sub's crossover to maximum?

If it's a passive sub and you have it attached to a speaker output on the receiver (not the sub out), then you will not hear the low frequencies since the LFE channel is only sent to the subwoofer audio out.

Collapse -
Answer
LFE and Sub
by sunwatcher / January 26, 2013 9:53 PM PST

I should correct myself when I said the LFE is only sent to the sub out, which is not the case. But again, the crossover should be set to "max" on the sub itself. The receiver speaker pattern should be set to 3/0.1.

Collapse -
Response to sunwatcher
by scottwski / January 27, 2013 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: LFE and Sub

Yes, it is a powered subwoofer and I have it connected to the subwoofer connector on back of receiver but am not sure of make and model or what the crossover is set at because I am currently on vacation. I do have the speaker pattern set to 3.0.1 I know. I will get back on the make/ model as soon as I return home. ( I read somewhere that front speakers should be set to small even though these are big speakers? Heard of that?)

Collapse -
Speaker Size
by sunwatcher / January 27, 2013 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Response to sunwatcher

If speaker size is set to "small", then low frequencies for that speaker will be sent to the subwoofer and not the selected speaker. I've heard the same thing about the setting... you don't want two different outputs producing low frequencies, so keep them set to small. Also be sure to double check the phasing on all speakers.

Collapse -
Sony str hd520 no bass & question about surd. snd. rear sp
by scottwski / February 3, 2013 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Speaker Size

So I finally got back from vacation and changed front speaker setting to small and that finally fixed the problem. I also adjusted the output of the subwoofer in the speaker level settings and now I have plenty of bass.
I would like an opinion from someone who is more surround sound savvy than me. I have two large front speakers, a center speaker, subwoofer and two medium sized speakers I have set up as side speakers. In order to install rear surround speakers, I am going to have to have someone come in and put them in the ceiling flush mounted. What I have now sounds very good; will putting in the rear surround speakers make THAT much difference? The installation will be very expensive I'm sure, and was just wondering if it would be cost effective.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.