Windows Vista

Question

no audio with internal spdif connection

by zico1982 / February 10, 2013 12:23 AM PST

Hi i have a biostar tf570 sli a2+ motherboard with onboard sound by roland wavetable synthesizer a geforce nvidia 8600gt graphics card linked by internal spdif cable to the mobo out and and hdmi cable linked via a dvi adaptor the music in windows media center and media player plays ok but dvds dont HELP PLEASE THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS o/s is windows vista home premium 32bit

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no audio with internal spdif connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no audio with internal spdif connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
DVDs
by Jimmy Greystone / February 10, 2013 3:04 AM PST

DVDs use what's informally known as AC3 audio. Essentially some kind of Dolby encoding from Dolby Stereo to Dolby 5.1. Sometimes you find the odd DVD with DTS audio. You need a special codec to decode this audio which doesn't come with Windows. There may be others, but AC3Filter is one I remember using a long time ago.

You could also use all-in-one solutions like MPC-HC, VLC Player, and even XBMC. These can all decode Dolby and DTS audio without the need of any additional software. So if you're still not getting any audio using one of these, then there's something else wrong.

Collapse -
thats interesting
by zico1982 / February 10, 2013 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: DVDs

interesting description have you any links for codecs to get the windows media center and the media player working as i have a dvd library on a hard drive that they source from. a multi package codec would be ideal to get it working

Collapse -
VLC PLAYER does not need codecs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: thats interesting

Please try it. Avoids all the codec hunting trips.

Collapse -
need to use windows media centre
by zico1982 / February 10, 2013 8:07 AM PST

i have to use windows media centre as it is a front end application from start up and it is remote driven trie ac3filter but does not work any other ideas btw dvds play fime through vlc player but need it to be wmc

Collapse -
Then you need DVD player software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 11:18 AM PST

Those DVD decoders are copyrighted and more. VLC avoids this for reasons you can find on the web.

Install PowerDVD or such and you should be good.

Again, no mystery here at all.
Bob

Collapse -
any other suggestions
by zico1982 / February 10, 2013 9:10 PM PST

thats helpful but is there any possible way to get it working with vista windows media centre really want to get it working through that application

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: any other suggestions

I'm guessing here that you need to know why this is. Only Home Premium and Ultimate included the necessary parts to play this content.

For other versions you install something like PowerDVD to add the decoding and it will now play in WMP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-DVDs-and-movies-in-Windows-Media-Center

-> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-media-player-plug-ins repeats this in another way.

No mystery here. But you will encounter folk that can't get their head around the copyright issues of decoders.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.