Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

No audio when streaming video

by gailstout / February 27, 2007 10:34 AM PST

I am having a problem with some sites (like CNN) and the streaming video. I get the video but no sound. Seems to only be a problem when the site is using Media Player. I have version 10. I really don't have any idea where to look for the problem.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Gail

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio when streaming video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio when streaming video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Media 10 & 11
by cwwl / March 2, 2007 8:58 AM PST

Some time ago an update to Media Player 10 caused mono audio not to play. This has also continued with Media Player 11. Stereo will play but many voice audio files are recorded on encoded in mono. So the streaming audio must be stero to play...

Collapse -
Try this
by xray88 / March 2, 2007 11:26 AM PST

Make this registry change and I'm pretty sure it will fix your problem. If it doesn't work, you can always change it back. It'll work. Happy

Go to the following registry folder:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\NodeCLSIDs\{95037DA1-6ED9-4B27-8CFF-9AD3DFB0B2F2}]

double click on 'Auto Insert" on the right side of the box.

Change the Value from "1" to "0" and click OK.

You should be set.

Collapse -
That was it!
by gailstout / March 2, 2007 8:16 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

Amazing! Thank you much, it was driving me nuts, just didn't understand what the problem was, not that I do now but it works!

Thanks again, you rock!

Collapse -
Wow, finally a solution that worked!
by jamon51 / July 10, 2007 6:28 PM PDT

Thanks so much for this tip. I've been "working around" this problem for ages--copying URLs & pasting them into Winamp, etc.

So, if you have no sound or no audio when using windows media player for streaming, but it works fine for regular files (video and audio), try the above fix. It worked! (you do have to restart WMP for the change to take place.)

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Hanako84 / July 17, 2007 2:35 AM PDT

Thank you! It helped me too ^__^

Collapse -
it worked
by wiskers69 / August 9, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

Great fix, thanks. This one was driving me nuts

Collapse -
Thank you!!!!
by cindercone21 / August 23, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

I have had this problem for a while now, I have looked on the web for a solution, in vain. Yesterday I got high speed internet and so I am thrilled that this problem is fixed. Thaaannnkk Yoooouuu!!!

Wayne

Collapse -
Resolving WMP not playing Mono audio
by wwwuuf / October 2, 2007 6:12 AM PDT

Thanks so much for your hard work. I hadn't been able to hear the audio portion of videos from several websites for almost a year!
Thanks again

btw - how did you figure this out?

Collapse -
how do i get to the directory?
by ichiiwawa / January 23, 2008 8:04 AM PST

do i type c:/ first?

Collapse -
do you mean registry?
by vishalkurup / January 23, 2008 9:45 AM PST

if you are asking how to get to the registry when you mention directory in your question, its fairly simple:

Click Start>Click Run> in the window that opens type the word 'regedit' and hit enter.

You should now see the registry editor open.

Collapse -
audio works but not video in live streaming video
by doc72279 / February 6, 2008 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: do you mean registry?

hi i noticed u seemed to know bout media player problems. i am able to hear the audio in live streaming video but my video suddenly disappeared. i was able to view before but all of sudden i can't. any clue as to what went wrong and wat i can do to fix it? thanx so much in advance!

Collapse -
Thanks a Ton!
by hiashok / September 17, 2009 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: do you mean registry?

Folks, Great solution, really appreciate to all members who helped me close this issue. I was driven nuts when all other sites streaming was working but for one particular site the audio was not working. This helps. Hats off and keep up the good work.

Ashok

Collapse -
No Sound when streaming with windows XP
by black68gtx / February 5, 2008 11:25 PM PST

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\NodeCLSIDs\{95037DA1-6ED9-4B27-8CFF-9AD3DFB0B2F2}]

Where exactly do I find this folder.

I'm having the same problem with windows xp pro. I can download a video and play it back w/sound but if I.m on YouTube ans try to play something I get no sound.

Collapse -
No Sound when streaming with windows XP
by maryjohn121 / September 14, 2009 9:07 PM PDT

Hey dude!!

if u find this

now

You should be set.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Satdirector / March 4, 2008 12:37 PM PST

Fixed my audio problems with streaming video.

Collapse -
Try this as well
by kiumars2008 / April 12, 2008 9:40 PM PDT

Try this as well
I had this problem for a while and tried everything I could think of, I also tried your solution (i.e. changing registry setting for the WMP) but it did not work for me. Yesterday when I was looking at the WMP settings (Tools; Options; DVD; Advanced ..) I realised that ffdshow was setup as the filter for audio on it. I uninstalled ffdshow and the streaming Audio problem was solved.

I installed ffdshow almost a year ago but the streaming Audio problem actually started just a few weeks ago, so I think one of the recent updates of ffdshow caused the problem. I have installed the latest version of ffdshow and everything is working ok now.

Collapse -
Please note date in post one
by Dango517 / April 12, 2008 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this as well

This is a very old post/thread.

Collapse -
erm im a little stuck with somthing simular
by mrdaholmes / April 21, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

ive been trying to find what the problem is with my laptop for a while now. only sound plays on windows media player.. You Tube videos do not have any sound, and neither do any other internet files. Even games.

This maybe easy to resolve but it hard when your only 15.

Hope you can help as i find it very hard to cope with it..

many thanks

Damian

Collapse -
Try uninstalling the
by Dango517 / April 21, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

"Windows Media Player" then reinstalling it. It can be removed using "add/remove programs" (XP) or "Programs and features" (Vista) in control panel.

You can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx

Note "Hardware requirements" if it doesn't match the ones you have then install a previous version.

This thread is untracked which means I'm not getting up dates for it in my Email. In other words, your on your own.

Collapse -
This actually worked for me. So many thanks!
by andy.havoc / July 15, 2008 7:42 AM PDT

Your solution saved me literally.

I had this audio problem for 4 months now and when i tried your solution i heard sound again!

Thanks so much for this, really appreciate it.

For the notes: My problem was that i had no sound in Internet explorer when viewing some tv channels i used to watch.

My system is Windows Vista, SP1. Windows Media Player 11.

Again thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Not able to hear streaming audio
by r_kapoor254 / July 24, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

many thanks to the solution. It is great

Collapse -
Awesome Fix!!!
by jz_in_vb / September 25, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

For those of us who aren't registry saavy, what does this particularly control in this situation?

Collapse -
Thank you so much
by Bajiquan / December 11, 2008 3:00 AM PST

I have been searching for months for this answer. You are the greatest.

Collapse -
need of help
by zwart12 / January 3, 2009 10:55 AM PST

Hi
im sorry but i just dont know where to start here .
all help would be greatly appreciated
tks 4 ur time

Try this
by xray88 - 3/2/07 7:26 PM In reply to: No audio when streaming video by gailstout
Make this registry change and I'm pretty sure it will fix your problem. If it doesn't work, you can always change it back. It'll work.

Go to the following registry folder:

You should be set.

Collapse -
WMP No Audio over webcast
by VS2409 / January 21, 2009 4:30 AM PST

Fantastic. Thank you.

Your solution fixed my problem.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by gdiab / January 31, 2009 8:48 PM PST

I have no idea how you figured our the solution but it works! I searched for, found and implemented this fix in less than 5 minutes so thank you for saving me so much time in fixing a problem that I probably would've otherwise spent a long time trying to fix

Collapse -
EWTN
by gdiab / January 31, 2009 8:49 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

By the way, the video that I was trying to view was on the EWTN network. I added this for search purposes.

Collapse -
I can Hear!
by xp cured / March 21, 2009 10:07 AM PDT

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!!

Collapse -
Live streaming audio problem
by arulraj52 / August 30, 2009 3:09 AM PDT

Your solution solved my problem.

Many many THANKS

Collapse -
No sound in streaming media
by Jason Parker / December 5, 2009 6:49 AM PST

I have been trying to fix this for months, worked a treat. Thank you soooo much =)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.