Laptops

General discussion

No audio through HDMI cable with Toshiba Satellite

by silvermoonlight123 / January 11, 2010 11:50 PM PST

Same story as so many others:

I connected an HDMI cable from my laptop to TV and am able to get beautiful picture, but no sound. My OS is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3. I?ve already tried going to Control Panel > Sound and Audio > Audio > Sound Playback ATI HD Audio rear output + speakers set to 5.1 surround sound speakers + re-start computer. No dice.

The details:
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite M300 (has HDMI port)
TV: Sharp LC-32SB24U

I?ve Googled until I?m blue in the face and can?t even diagnose the problem. Is it my sound card? My video driver? DO I need to upgrade something, disable something, buy something? Instruction manual for the TV doesn?t require a separate audio cable for HDMI (which should be the case anyway) and laptop instructions don?t say anything about outputting audio, just video.

Please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio through HDMI cable with Toshiba Satellite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio through HDMI cable with Toshiba Satellite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 1:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for your response
by silvermoonlight123 / January 13, 2010 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: You don't say.

But what is WMP? Also, the picture you linked to appears to be for Vista. Did you mean those to be installation instructions?

Are you saying that HDMI audio never works with Windows XP? My laptop was originally for Vista, but I requested to have it downgraded to XP. If you know, can you please go into more detail about why it is difficult/impossible to get audio through HDMI with XP? Thanks.

Collapse -
Did you mean those to be installation instructions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 11:59 AM PST

NO. Sadly I can't make screenshots for each version OS and WMP.

I asked google What is WMP? and it agreed with what I meant. All this is volunteer which is why I can't get screen shots spot on and will abbreviate when I can. Again, all volunteers here.

As to HDMI and XP. I'm finding many machines with it being PROBLEMATIC. Difficult for today's users to properly install much less setup.

Why is it difficult you ask? Let's look at HP's reply and the 10 drivers needed and what happens if you get them out of order at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

Proof positive that XP is not for most of us to install. If you paid for that downgrade, ask them to get it working.
Bob

Collapse -
Volunteers
by sydney0719 / April 1, 2012 2:41 AM PDT

I am sorry to post this reply but I am really getting tired of people posting replies when they don't really have an answers. Same thing on ask.com and other sites. These sites need to stop awarding status for most answers or whatever. People post garbage. I would rather not find an answer then get countless garbage answers.

I volunteer at many physical (theaters and museums etc.) and virtual (sites like these) but I have never used the excuse to hide my ignorance on a subject. If I don't have an answer, I do not post!

Collapse -
You said it yourself
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Volunteers

in your comment here; http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10282442-2.html

"99% of the users only need a rudimentary Office and Internet Browser."

And that is the problem. Perhaps 99% of Windows users simply want things to "Click and Work", and in today's world with HD, HDMI, TV Browsing, apps, and so on, they expect those to work with a single clickj

The trouble is, that doesn't happen even in today's computers and to get things to work they have to learn, even learn the basics. You complain about posts, but when you see that the OP, (Original Poster), in this 'over two year old thread', didn't even know what WMP was, installed in every version of Windows, and a clear indication of the problems to be faced, you may appreciate the uphill task that the volunteers face.

You want straight answers? How about, "This is too complicated for this OS and for someone of your knowledge"? Do you think today's users will accept that?

Mark

Collapse -
I have one last question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Volunteers

If the member does not reveal the needed details, should we answer them with silence or should we try anyway?
Bob

Collapse -
I share your pain
by denisesuzy / January 12, 2011 4:30 PM PST

Different model TV (LG) but same laptop and decision at purchase to have Windows XP rather than Vista. (So don't think it can be an installation issue as suggested by R.Proffitt.)

Also searching for solution to lack of audio and came across your post. Since it seems to be a simple thing to fix with Vista perhaps we should ask Microsoft?

Collapse -
try the following to get hdmi audio to lcd-tv..
by Roncnet2000 / March 20, 2011 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I share your pain

i have philips lcd tv, and i had upgraded my gateway laptop from vista64 to
win 7 64bit .
found that audio did not work. tried all of above and other sites but still no audio.
then installed philips hd audio device from its site.
next shutdown computer and switched off tv, connected hdmi cable, switched on tv and then computer; after logging laptop recognized new hardware and installed some driver while connected to internet.
but this did no solve the issue, something else needed to be done so.
i then uninstalled : conexant hd audio; intel graphics;
and then
went to gateway site for the model i had and again downloaded the intel gma chipset and audio drivers and installed them.
after install i saw philips hd device being displayed in control panel -> sound (playback tab). right clicked the tv device and set it to default and voila the sound from hdmi to tv worked.
hope this helps i spent a lot of time getting this to work.

enjoy! the pure sound of hdmi to tv or other home theatre device.

Collapse -
No audio through HDMI cable with Toshiba Satellite
by dangenin / June 20, 2011 12:47 PM PDT

Just had to solve this problem on my dad's Toshiba Satellite 622. The culprit turned out to be the updated driver for the ATI video card. Rolling back the driver solved the problem. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the driver version that I rolled back to was. Rolling back the driver, however, doesn't require a reboot to take effect so you can just keep rolling back until you hear the sound.

Collapse -
Well if you get sound before you hook up the
by orlbuckeye / June 20, 2011 9:49 PM PDT

HDMI cable I don't think it's a drivers issue. I have no problem getting sound out of home theater system when I use HDMI. I do lose sound sometimes in laptop when i disconnect the HDMI cable and when I reboot I get sound back.

Collapse -
I had this problem yesterday but i have Windows 7.
by orlbuckeye / April 16, 2012 4:28 AM PDT

What I did was when the laptop was connected to the TV I looked into Sounds in control panel. I noticed when the laptop was connected it showed ATI (which is my graphics card) and Realtek which is my sound card. I switched the default from realtek to ATI and the sound came out of my receiver and not just the laptop.

Collapse -
My sound was disabled
by Marko75cnet / June 20, 2012 5:55 AM PDT

Hi!
I have Toshiba Satellite A500 and Win 7 on.
While connecting it to Sony Bravia TV with HDMI cable, there was no sound, except from laptop speakers.
Then, I went to Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback tab, then right click on the list with sound devices and select both options "Show Disabled Devices" & "Show Disconnected Devices", click OK.

After that, I connected my laptop to TV and audio worked!

Hope it works for you too!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.