TVs & Home Theaters

Question

No audio outputs on Samsung HD TV!

by snorfl1962 / September 24, 2012 11:17 AM PDT

So I was duped into buying a 32" Samsung HD tv by an anxious sales rep eager to make a sale and discovered it had no audio outputs after I got it home. None. Zilch. Just 2 HDMI inputs, component audio inputs and video inputs. Also, no headphone jack. I had considered returning it, but wanted to know if there was anything I could do to transfer audio from the tv to a sound bar I was planning to buy for it. The model number is LN32D403E2DXZA, if that helps.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio outputs on Samsung HD TV!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio outputs on Samsung HD TV!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Duped? If so, return it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2012 11:30 AM PDT

But today I am a little dazed at folk that can't add an audio jack. We are talking about 3 or 4 wires and a jack. Figure about 3 bucks and a hour in the shop.

Have folk lost basic wiring skills?
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, return it, but...
by Pepe7 / September 24, 2012 11:37 AM PDT

...you are at best having drug fueled hallucinations if you think that 99% of HDTV buyers have any business cracking open their TV and adding a jack, let alone actually have 'wiring skills'. This is the real world, Bob. (Not a debatable subject either- this is simply common knowledge/sense) Now, people flea-bay something and buy another one.

Collapse -
My generation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, return it, but...

Thought nothing of wiring up homes, fixing things and well fast forward to now you find folk stumped over drilling a hole and wiring it up. These were basic skills for us.

Today, I think you are right the new generation is drug fueled (coffee is such) and why would we teach basics in schools like this?
Bob

Collapse -
I totally agree
by Pepe7 / September 25, 2012 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: My generation.

My generation is unfortunately on the cusp of not having any sort of knowledge of how to repair things. The younger guys have it even worse, I'm afraid. They don't even know what the names of the various tools even are, let alone how one might go about planning such a repair. OTOH, there are definitely some devices simply not worth dealing with though, depending on one's circumstances.

FWIW, I had a good laugh after the new neighbor's wife told me "they don't use powertools" (ROTFL). The best part was, after about six months of dealing with paying various contractors/laborers around the house they finally got wise and simply came next door to borrow what they needed to do in on the cheap themselves.

-P

Collapse -
No audio outputs on Samsung HD TV!
by snorfl1962 / September 25, 2012 5:51 AM PDT

Your proposition strikes me as ridiculous given that this is something the maker should have figured out when they designed the schematics for this thing. Most modern flatscreens have at least ONE output. The fact that there are none and that it is is coming from a trusted brand, makes it as even more more strange. I shouldn't have to "add an audio jack" when something as basic as this should be standard.

Collapse -
Sorry to hear this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 3:49 AM PDT

The makers are under pressure to deliver the lowest cost products to some. So they have to start removing items that you expected to be there.

It is a shame folk think it's ridiculous to add a simple jack.

There is nothing amiss here. It's the market at work.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, you are mostly to blame here
by Pepe7 / September 26, 2012 4:23 AM PDT

Line up your ducks and familiarize yourself with your gizmos before buying them. Period. Always check the order takers math & logic. Most aren't working from commission so they have a lot less incentive to serve your needs instead of theirs.

Collapse -
No audio outputs on Samsung HD TV
by Donhe7 / October 15, 2012 10:24 PM PDT

How would your warranty stand up to such treatment of a manufacturers' product??---- remember, we're not talking about a home-built kit here.
Not that I'm sticking up for the manufacturer, I was in a similar situation myself, the "old" lcd ("HD-Ready") TV had "monitor" A/V output sockets, so I was able to use infrared cordless headphones independently of the speakers, but my new HD TV (same brand name) has only a head-phone socket, and as I saw in another forum, sound quality which is inferior to a $30 computer speaker system

donhe7

Collapse -
About warranty. No doubt here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 1:58 AM PDT

It's gone. For me that's not a big deal as the warranty is usually over in 1 year.

Some folk will dismiss solutions but let's give them choices.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I don't know if your
by itsdigger / September 26, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

getting cable tv or satellite but, if you are just hook up the audio out from the converter to the audio in on the sound bar, also most sound bars have a headphone jack. Just a thought....Digger

Collapse -
correction
by itsdigger / September 26, 2012 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't know if your

My sound bar does not have a headphone jack......Digger

Collapse -
re: headphone jack
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't know if your

That's a perfect audio out. Your average PC sound card doesn't have anything else.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.