Windows Vista forum

General discussion

no audio output device is installed

by adbuy / August 12, 2007 4:42 PM PDT

I recently purchase a HP Pavillion a6040n Desktop PC. Everything was working just find until one day, I turn my computer on and the specker icon would have a red icon and it would say "no audio output device is installed". Under device manager is not showing Sound and video, etc. I have checked "services" and the sevice start automatic and is not stopped. I reinstalled the driver from realtek(realtek high definition audio)several times and still have no audio.

I called HP help desk, but it seems I have more knowledge than thier computer techs.

Please help,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no audio output device is installed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no audio output device is installed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Here's what worked for me, Sony Vaio same problem, etc.
by jmp88 / August 19, 2007 6:01 PM PDT

I have a brand new Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E, same problem. Had upgraded to Vista Ultimate from Vista Home. This problem appears to happen when you install Vista or upgrade to another version of Vista. I found the following suggestion on another tech forum, followed it & fixed problem, took less then 5 minutes. You will need to first check the name of the audio device on your computer, write it down before you uninstall it, then go to HP website and find the "original" software. To be safe, better check if HP's website is as user friendly/sophisticated as Sony's and has your audio device's software on it to download before you go and uninstall it. Anyway, here's the solution from the other guy that worked for me:

"Hey, I had the same problem with the audio as it kept saying "no audio ouput device installed."

First uninstall the sound drive by going to device manager and click on sounds. Then click the device tab and click uninstall. Then restart your computer.

Then go to Sony eSupport - Electronics and click on software and ers. Then type in your model number and on the next page click "original". Then look for "SigmaTel

Collapse -
Problem solved
by gouletdrg / September 15, 2007 3:57 AM PDT

The same thing happened to me after I updated my Vaio FZ140E. Not sure why it happened but many thanks for putting an easy step-by-step solution. You were the first to come up on a google search.

Collapse -
Uk buyers fix
by bickers007 / October 1, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

Great fix! I'm a UK buyer so had to find the Uk Sony site for the support but it still worked a treat.

Collapse -
Find the audio driver and
by YankeesNYwins / August 20, 2007 1:03 AM PDT

install it.

Collapse -
no audio output device is installed
by nabiltech / December 9, 2007 3:36 AM PST

hi,

I "had" the same problem and the solution simple connect to internet, go to device manager and locate sound device ,uninstall the sound card and the trick is to check "delete driver files" then turn off the laptop then turn it back on,NOT restart. If the Sound is working please replay

LAPTOP Type:VGN-VAIO48G/H.

Regards

Collapse -
Windows Vista "no audio outout installed" - same porblem
by BM30194 / October 3, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

Hey. I had the same problem after i updated windows vista. i followed hat you guys did (uninstall and then try and find my product) but the only problem is that I DONT KNOW my model number for my computer, I have a DELL and its windows vista - can someone help me try to find it or give me their number or something? pls HELP I want my volume back Sad

Collapse -
The thing about Dell is you don't need the model number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 8:42 AM PDT

Dell uses a SERVICE TAG. Go to dell.com and put in the service tag and your drivers are there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.