Samsung forum

General discussion

No audio out for digital channels on LED TV?

by mauiguru / August 11, 2009 3:52 AM PDT

I just got my UN55B60000 55" LED TV and have it connected to my cable provider. My cable plan has mostly analog channels, but also has a couple dozen DTV digital channels. I don't have any HD channels.

When using the TV's internal speakers, all channels work fine. When using external speakers, only the analog channels have audio. All DTV channels give no audio through the external audio out.

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but the channel numbering for DTV channels is confusing me. All the DTV channels are numbers followed by a dash and another number. For example, instead of PBS being on channel 443 as listed on the cable provider's lineup, the TV shows it as channel 117-10.

It's not going to be practical to switch the audio between internal and external every time we switch between analog and DTV. It annoying enough to not be able to change the external speaker volume via the TV, but it's simply ridiculous to only be able to use external speakers with analog channels, I have to believe I'm missing something simple!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio out for digital channels on LED TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio out for digital channels on LED TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 12, 2009 3:19 PM PDT

mauiguru,

I agree, this doesn't sound correct. How do you have the television hooked up to the cable, and how do you have the audio set up? Optical or RCA?

Are you using just external speakers or does the RCA lead to an amplifier first?

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by mauiguru / August 12, 2009 4:05 PM PDT

The TV does not have RCA digital or analog audio outputs, it only has digital optical. The optical out is directly connected to external Behringer MS20 digital speakers.

Connections:
The TV cable is connected to ANT IN (the TV has only this one RF tuner input.)
An AppleTV is connected to HDMI input 1.
A USB flashdrive is connected to the lower USB port.

Behavior:
When watching any analog cable channel, I get audio on the external speakers.
When watching any digital cable channel, the external speakers are silent.
When watching a digital video on the USB flashdrive, the external speakers are silent.
When watching the AppleTV on HDMI1, I get audio on the external speakers.

The "Speaker Select" setting has no impact on whether or not there is audio on the external optical output, it only controls whether or not the internal speaker is active.

Collapse -
by mauiguru / August 13, 2009 2:41 AM PDT

After more reading, I suspect I know what might be happening. When watching DTV channels the optical audio output is 5.1CH. This is the only reference I've found to there being an audio difference between analog and DTV channels.

I'm guessing that 5.1CH requires a compatible decoder and can't be used by just anything with a TOSLINK optical input and that my stereo speakers don't support 5.1CH since they are not a surround system.

I expected anything not capable of playing 5.1CH would just play as normal stereo, but if that is not the case then it fits the symptoms.

I expected to at least hear basic stereo if my speakers don't have 5.1CH support, is this not the case? Must I have 5.1CH digital audio equipment to hear the optical output at all?

Or is there any way to disable the 5.1CH output for those of us who don't use surround sound?

Perhaps I'm completely wrong and the 5.1CH output isn't even related to these symptoms?

FYI, I just found the analog audio output on the TV, it's not labeled and I hadn't noticed it between the USB connectors. I would have found all this info much more quickly if a manual was included with this $3000 TV. (I also wonder if that's even legal since it's the only place I found the Gnu Public License language.) I would really prefer to have a paper manual.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 14, 2009 4:44 AM PDT

mauiguru,

Check the MTS setting on the TV and make sure it is set to Stereo.

Also that 3.5mm to RCA should be able to hook correctly into your stereo system.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by mauiguru / August 14, 2009 7:13 AM PDT

MTS is set to Stereo. It's also grayed out and not changeable.

Analog audio would be a giant backward step for several reasons, cable length being a significant factor as well as not having any available analog inputs on my speakers.

The frustrating thing is that absolutely _all_ my issues would be solved if this TV had variable digital stereo audio out. Unfortunately it looks like there is no way to get digital audio from the TV to the speakers without spending hundreds of dollars on an A/V receiver I shouldn't need. I'll keep looking for a solution, but it's looking pretty grim at this point. (sigh)

Collapse -
Hi Mauiguru
by Ritti100 / September 7, 2009 10:23 AM PDT

Can you please let me know where you found the analog audio out plug I got a UA40B6000 and I have exactly the same problem as you (even bought the same speakers)Did you come up with any other solution to this problem - maybe in the service menu?

Thanks

Collapse -
Analog audio output
by mauiguru / September 7, 2009 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mauiguru

On my unit the analog audio output is a mini headphone jack between the USB ports. I noticed in some pictures it is labeled on some units, but not on mine, and being black it's not very visible so I hadn't even noticed it.

Perhaps the TV is so inexpensive because they saved printing costs by including a paper manual. Wink Oh wait... heh.

Collapse -
problem with optical output
by simon_1345 / May 26, 2010 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mauiguru

I have also found that the B6000 lacks an audio output. Only the optical output is available. Without an optical input device (expensive AV receiver) I bought an optical to RCA converter. This worked fine to convert analogue channels, but not HD channels. What's interesting is that a DVD playing on a Samgung Blu-ray player connected by HDMI to the TV also produced audio from the TV's optical output, but I suspect that an HD blu-ray DVD would not. The Blu-ray player had digital output options, including a downmixing mode which may have worked. So is the problem that I need an optical input device that can decode DTV audio, or that I have a problem with the Samsung B6000 ?

Collapse -
same problem
by finemoves / June 19, 2011 11:27 PM PDT

I seem to have the same problem as everyone else here. I just had a look through the menus and couldn't seem to find any MTS settings. I just bought the latest Samsung LCD series 8 tv and can't get audio on digital channels. Where are the MTS settings??

Collapse -
same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

finemoves,

Collapse -
same problem with LG LED TV and Onkyo Stereo Receiver
by amanti2 / September 11, 2011 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

I just purchased...

LG LED TV Model 47LW6500
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-led-tv-47LW6500.jsp
and
Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo
Receiver
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8050&class=Receiver&p=i

The Onkyo Data Sheet...

http://63.148.251.135/redirect.cfm?type=sell_sheets&file=TX-8050_Info_Sheet.pdf
says "multichannel audio" is not supported and
that sounds rational because this is a Stereo Receiver (and not a Home Theater Surround Sound System).

The LG TV and two built in speakers and no doubt, that is stereo and analog.
The LG TV does not have any RCA jacks for audio out.
However, using a magnifying glass, I was able to read a label on the rear panel
that says " H/P " followed by a Headphones icon.
Below that label is Mini Stereo Headphone Jack.

I purchased a Mini Stereo Headphone Plug to 2 RCA Jack Adapter /
Patch Cord.
Then I connected the patch cord from the LED TV's headphone jack to the Stereo Receiver's "PHONO IN".

BENEFITS: It sounds absolutely excellent.

DRAWBACKS: This is a cludgy workaround (and not a technically correct solution).
1) The specifications for the LED TV's Headphone
Jack and the Stereo Receiver's Phonograph-In Jack are likely to be very different where
the LED TV's Headphone Jack could probably produce voltages larger than the PHONO IN's
maximum voltage. So, the LED TVs volume control should be
used at lower levels only.
Then on the Stereo Receiver, just set the
volume up to around 30 or 40% or so.
2) Now my turntable's RCA plugs are disconnected
from the Stereo Receiver Sad
NOTE: The Onkyo TX-8050's other RCA jacks { CD, TV/TAPE, GAME CBL/SAT, VCR,DVR, BD/DVD } for audio inputs wouldn't work for me. Because the users manual does not characterize / specify the nature of these jacks in detail, I will have to contact Onkyo for support.

IN SEARCH OF A TECHNICALLY CORRECT SOLUTION:
With regards to a technically correct solution, I don't have a thorough understanding of the specifications nor quality issues ( performance, cost, etc ) faced by LED TV manufacturers nor
Stereo Receiver manufacturers.

However, with regard to LED TVs / manufacturers,
my observation as an end user is that LED TV's have
2 Stereo Speakers and a Headphone Jack.
1) Would a reasonable expectation / requirement include
adding a pre-amp type of audio output on RCA Jacks?
2) Would a reasonable expectation / requirement include
adding the ability for users of analog stereo equipment to configure the Fiber Optic audio output to be analog
format only (instead of the default digital home theater
surround 5.1 or whatever it is)?

With regard to modern day stereo receiver manufacturers,
1) would a reasonable expectation / requirement include
adding a miscilaneous / auxiliary audio input?
NOTE: On my 1970s vintage Onkyo Receiver, I always used " TAPE IN " and that worked.
I'll have to ask Onkyo old stereo works and new stereo fails.
Stay tuned.

Collapse -
Same problem with LG tv ...and PIONEER stereo receiver
by Bucabeer / July 31, 2012 12:47 AM PDT

Thank you amanti2. I believe you just laid out the solution to my own dilemma. Frustrating situation -- thank you for posting your experience and solution.

(I wonder if LG Support would even know where to begin...?)

Many thanks.

Pete

Collapse -
me too
by nicholaspeter / December 14, 2012 8:11 AM PST

i had this problem until i change my digital output settings from dolby to pcm... then it worked ?
go into sound .> spdif output > change from dolby to pcm ... i had this problem with all my tv's ... dolby never seems to work...

Collapse -
Can't get sound from the audio outputs of my samsung led tv
by tyehia / June 1, 2014 10:04 PM PDT

I'm connecting lg home theater to my samsung tv through analogue audio cable. When the cable touch the socket of the audio outputs, I can hear sound from the speakers. When I insert the cable completely into the socket, as it should be, the sound disappear !!!

Collapse -
Please don't cross post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2014 1:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
how to
by nicholaspeter / December 14, 2012 8:14 AM PST

turn off dolby ... go to pcm only way it works

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.