TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

No audio from TV with receiver, HDMI, Onkyo

by geoffwolfe / November 10, 2007 2:31 AM PST

I have a Sharp LCD flat panel HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, Tivo Series 3, Playstation 3. I have HDMI cables from TV to receiver. I have no external speakers. I can't get the audio to work from the TV when I go through the receiver. Picture comes through fine. When I take the receiver out of the loop (Tivo and PS3 directly to TV via HDMI), everything works fine. I have tried all of the settings that make sense on the TV and receiver to get the TV audio to work. Anyone know what the deal is? Will the receiver only work with external speakers (which seems ridiculous)? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio from TV with receiver, HDMI, Onkyo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio from TV with receiver, HDMI, Onkyo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:
by johnnyblack87 / November 10, 2007 6:35 AM PST

Some lower end recievers, such as Onkyo, don't support HDCP, a copyright protection method. Basically, the source is sending an HDCP signal to the reciever, but the reciever, on routing, is not sending it back out. The television sees this, labels it copy protected and won't play. Sometimes, this will affect video, but almost all cases involve loss of audio. To fix: HDMI from source direct to TV, optical cable from source to reciever. You will lose video switchin capabilities, and the only fix that involves keeping those capabilities is buying a new reciever.

Collapse -
This is a miss understanding
by gabereyes / November 10, 2007 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

most people think it is the reciever fault because the dvd player or cable box worked before you added the reciever.

But what really happens is for a source to display an image on a TV screen it only has to send the HDCP signal once at startup, but if you go through a reciever and/or HDMI switcher of anykind the source must send the HDCP signal all the time so this way you cant trick the HD copy protection system and record any part of the HD content.

So it is a source problem not a reciever problem, but if you get your PS3 updated it can fix a video problem, but audio may not be a software problem the reciever may not relay the audio to the TV, im not really sure if is meant to are not.

hope this helps
gabe

Collapse -
Probably not HDCP problem
by geoffwolfe / November 11, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I tried hooking it up through my series 2 tivo as well and had the same problem -- just no audio no matter what. I can't believe the receiver will only work with external speakers. I'm basically screwed because I only put two hdmi cables through my wall and it is all sealed up now thinking I was covered with just hdmi, so basically the receiver is worthless to me now. I hope someone has some type of hack . . .

Collapse -
did you set the hdmi audio out ?
by mattjen / November 11, 2007 3:07 AM PST

if you go to the setup menu, hardware setup, hdmi, and turn the audio out: on it should work hope this helps

Collapse -
Got it to work!
by geoffwolfe / November 11, 2007 4:14 AM PST

Your audio-out advice got me thinking because it was set to "auto" and was grayed out. I played around with a few settings and when I turned off "Control", it ungrayed the field and I was able to set it to "on" and the sound then came through. Thanks for your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.