Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

No Apple Support for OS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updates?

by jturning2 / October 3, 2011 10:05 PM PDT

I'm having a heck of a time downloading the Classic updates 9.2.1 and 9.2.2, especially as the .bin file that Apple provides. The .smi files I'm finding elsewhere seem to corrupt on the Flash Drives. This is the link that has been suggested to me to find these updates.

When I try it either tells me that "hmmm, unable to find this page" or it sends me on a loop between the license agreement and the download page without ever finding the files. I've opened up my Cookies to accept everything, but still no luck. Can anyone point me to a reliable source for these old Apple OS updates? All my software is for Classic!!

jturning2 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Apple Support for OS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Apple Support for OS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jturning2

Collapse -
All I can think of here is to beg for mercy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2011 2:56 AM PDT

Make the call to Cupertino and ask how to get the files. I don't have them but it seems to me that folk had years to collect these and at some point a company may clean up the servers.

But if there are copies, you may have to find them at the mercy of the folk that had them.

Collapse -
9.2.1 Mac OS Classic update files (binhexed only, please)
by jturning2 / October 4, 2011 12:59 PM PDT

I need the updates to Mac OS 9.1 that are saved as .bin files. It should be Mac OS9.2.1 update.smi.bin and 9.2.2 with the same extension. Anyone think to save a copy they can share with me? Thanks,

Collapse -
I don't know what happened to my previous post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 10:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
As an FYI,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 10:42 PM PDT

I just downloaded the update for 9.1 without a problem

Collapse -
endless loop
by jturning2 / October 7, 2011 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: As an FYI,

I don't know why. I've tried this on two machines, but I select the Download link and it takes me to the Apple Support Page. When i select the Download button. It takes me to a license agreement page. I do have cookies enabled, but when I "Agree" to the license agreement and select the appropriate product, it takes me right back to the Apple Support Download Page. That's what happened to me on the 9.1 link as well....

Thank you very much for your help!

Collapse -
And now I'm getting Page not Found.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: endless loop

Interesting, and I deleted the partial download I made this morning.

Collapse -
I have just emailed Apple regarding the bad links
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 8, 2011 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: endless loop

I doubt they will reply but they may fix the links.

Collapse -
Thank You
by jturning2 / October 8, 2011 8:39 PM PDT

I will do that. I did find some links that were .hqx files that would have worked, I think, but they are an International Version and I get an error on the Upgrade Install. Hopefully Apple will come through for the old school!

Collapse -
Email me via my profile
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 9, 2011 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

I have found 9.1 and 9.2.1 on a CD that I have copied to my dropbox.

Collapse -
As you can see,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 9, 2011 9:49 PM PDT

I have deleted your post, the one that contains your email address, in an effort to stop the Spam Bots from harvesting it.

Collapse -
Almost There
by jturning2 / October 10, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: As you can see,

Thanks so much. i appreciate the time. Something is happening to the Java applet or something right at the point when I am going to view the files on DropBox. I can see Events, but I cannot see Files using the Icab browser (and Netscape). Crazy. I'll try again tonight.

Collapse -
(NT) Try Firefox
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 10, 2011 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost There
Collapse -
by jturning2 / October 12, 2011 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Firefox

Thanks so much for all of your unselfish assistance. My widdle Mac is back. Thank God and P.

Collapse -
by bnash77 / November 19, 2011 5:43 AM PST

Im sorry to bother you, but I also need the update. Can you help me out as well? Thanks!

Collapse -
email me via my profile
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: 9.2.1

and I'll send you the link to the updates.

Collapse -
by bnash77 / November 19, 2011 8:25 AM PST

the link for 9.2.1 update on the apple website is broken...

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: 9.2.1

Instructions above, apply

Collapse -
Glad it all worked out for you.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 7:31 AM PDT

That's the second time I have been able to move stuff around the country, using Dropbox.

Collapse -
do you have 9.2.2 in dropbox?
by pshinn2012 / January 5, 2012 12:07 AM PST

I would be eternally grateful if I could get this from you.....

Collapse -
I'll see what I can do but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 7:49 AM PST

9.2.2 didn't do anything for you, other than make System 9 function a little better under OS X.

Collapse -
(NT) If you are still looking for this, email my profile
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 4:25 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.