Samsung forum

General discussion

No Amazon video-on-demand on Internet@TV on blu-ray players?

by dpdp / May 29, 2010 2:48 PM PDT

I purchased an Samsung blu-ray player (BD-C5500) because it had the "Internet@TV" feature, via "downloadable widgets" -- and Internet@TV pages all over the web indicate that Amazon Video-on-Demand is one of the features of this system.

The Amazon Video-on-Demand pages tell you that you can access their service by going to the the Yahoo widget first. But...there is no Yahoo widget available, and no Amazon widget either. What is going on? Is it impossible to access this service, which (along with Netflix) is the main reason I baught this player in the first place!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Amazon video-on-demand on Internet@TV on blu-ray players?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Amazon video-on-demand on Internet@TV on blu-ray players?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TV

At least on the 2009 models, Amazon is only via the TV and not the DVD player.
The widget is through the Yahoo widgets. The 2010 TV models use a different widget scheme.

Collapse -
No Amazon video-on-demand on Internet@TV on blu-ray players?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

dpdp,

The Amazon Video-On-Demand widget has not launched yet. The Samsung Apps are ready to host the widget, but the release and content are controlled by the widget owner, and they have not made it available yet.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Apps
by WRSAYER / August 18, 2010 3:29 AM PDT

Is there an update on AMAZON VOD on Samsung Apps on blu Ry players?

Collapse -
Samsung Apps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2010 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Apps

WRSAYER,

There isn't an update for the Amazon VOD on the Blu-Ray players that I'm aware of. I have no release dates. The widget owners (such as Amazon) control the launch of their own Apps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Apps
by eswerd / December 20, 2010 10:30 PM PST

Any update on this App coming to the BD-C6500?

Collapse -
Samsung Apps
by coinquack / December 21, 2010 1:11 AM PST

I actually pinged Amazon yesterday about it: they answered but couldn't tell me anything at all.
For sure, yesterday, there was no Amazon VOD app on the Samsung website.
Looks like no-one wants to commit... not even to a schedule or the general concept.

Collapse -
Samsung Apps
by christian.cortez / December 21, 2010 9:43 AM PST

This is the reply I got from Samsung support -- "As of now we have no information regarding Amazon video on demand app for the Blu-ray player. We recommend you look for the updates regularly on our website."

I also called them but they don't have updates. They told me there's no way for them to reach their engineering or product marketing teams to find out when this feature will become available, if at all. Not exactly the support I'm expecting from a technology company.

Collapse -
(NT) Likely signed exclusive contract w/ blockbuster on BR player
by RomeoJDR / June 23, 2011 3:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Where is Amazon on Demand TV on Samsung
by dgmelvin / January 6, 2011 3:55 AM PST

I don't understand why the Amazon.com pages refer to loading the Amazon on Demand TV app on Samsung devices when there is no such thing to download. Please, someone needs to get the actual information out and available and Amazon.com needs to update it's website to tell the truth.

Collapse -
Amazon Video on Demand
by crc3p / February 21, 2011 11:17 PM PST

I chatted with a Samsung rep online who let me know that Amazon VOD is only available on "2009" model TVs. Any word on whether 2010 Models will be compatible in the future? Is there an Amazon widget coming for newer Samsung TVs?

Collapse -
Amazon VOD Available on 2010 Samsungs
by robbit73 / March 10, 2011 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Amazon Video on Demand

Amazon Video on Demand is in fact available on the 2010 Samsung TVs. You can't access it via the Samsung apps though. You have to access it via the Yahoo Widgets.

Collapse -
Confusing
by itzme1234 / June 24, 2011 6:24 AM PDT

DOes anyone know if the D8000 will get Amozon VOD? My C8000 had it. I wonder why my D8000 has so few Yahoo widgets,and I especially miss Amazing VOD.

Collapse -
Deconfuser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2011 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Confusing

Apps like this are not written by Samsung. Be sure to ask Amazon about this too.,

Collapse -
Deconfuser #2
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Deconfuser.

Just setup another make TV with Yahoo apps and guess what app was missing?

It was a hoot!

Collapse -
Yahoo
by crc3p / July 8, 2011 10:37 AM PDT

And how do I get the yahoo widget on my tv?

Collapse -
Yahoo
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2011 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Yahoo

crc3p,

Collapse -
LN40C630
by crc3p / July 22, 2011 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Yahoo

Thanks HD Tech. So back to the original question.

Collapse -
LN40C630
by robbit73 / October 28, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: LN40C630

It doesn't look as though your model TV is equipped with an Apps features. Was this changed with any firmware updates? If not, then I don't think you'll be able to take advantage of the Amazon Instant Video service with this TV. This is based on the assumption that without the Samsung Apps, it also doesn't have the Yahoo Widgets. If that's not the case, then you can access it via Yahoo. But the research didn't sound promising.

Collapse -
It isnt available
by marzipan71 / January 16, 2012 8:23 AM PST

I have a 2010 Samsun with Yahoo Widgets and the Amazon app is not there, at all.

Collapse -
Amazon on Demand TV
by johnmdubil_dotmac / February 4, 2012 1:06 AM PST

I agree, the Amazon site clearly implies the Yahoo app is on the Samsung TV's. Even showing screen shots. I have a UN40D6300 that will not show a Yahoo app no matter how many times I update. Frustrating, as the Hulu app has too many commercials and the Netflix app changed formats and no longer allows searching by genre and seems to have way fewer selections than before.

Are there any other internet TV aggregators I can try?

Collapse -
I gave up and took a different direction
by dgmelvin / February 4, 2012 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Amazon on Demand TV

It seems every device that comes out now has some flavor of internet video capability. All the bluray players, TVs, even receivers. But, they all have low end kind of awkward versions that aren't as good as they should be. A friend bought a $79 ROKU box which has really fantastic content, superior versions of apps like Netflix and Amazon Instant Streaming on it and it always works. I bought one and don't even look at the built in apps any more. I think the lesson for manufacturers like Samsung is they either need to provide good quality apps or drop them and lower the price of their TVs by the cost of a good device like ROKU or other similar products which seem to be able to deliver, update and keep up with technology as it moves much better than the TV and bluray manufacturers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.