Computer Help forum

General discussion

No active mixer devices available. No volume control. HELP!

by biffgld / February 20, 2007 5:32 AM PST

Please help
I have no volume control and get the message " There are no active mixer devices available " . I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail.
I have a 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64, 128 kilobyte primary memory cache, 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache.Board: MSI MS-6741 1.0.VIA SATA RAID Controller
ATI Remote Wonder Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
And a Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller. The device manager says this is working ok, yet I have no volume or sound manager control.
Please help , I have been stumped for 2 days

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No active mixer devices available. No volume control. HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No active mixer devices available. No volume control. HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try downloading and installing the latest audio dirvers
by linkit / February 20, 2007 7:32 AM PST
Collapse -
No Audio
by biffgld / February 22, 2007 12:06 AM PST

I have tried downloading and reinstalling all versions of audio drivers to no avail

Collapse -
Ok, recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2007 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: No Audio

You installed the latest VIA drivers from VIA.

And you installed or tried the MSI audio driver. The BIOS has said audio enabled?

-> Time to disable the onboard and install some sound card.

Bob

Collapse -
No active mixer devices. No audio
by biffgld / February 22, 2007 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Ok, recap.

Yup.
I have installed all from MSI and VIA. The BIOS says Onboard audio enabled

Collapse -
audio
by hawaii_fiveo / February 24, 2007 3:43 AM PST

I've had this same problem, but i can't think if anything would be causing it. One solution to get the audio working again is to type services.msc and start the windows audio again. This works for me, but I have to keep restarting it everytime the driver dissapears. How do i fix this?

Collapse -
No active mixer devices. No audio
by biffgld / February 24, 2007 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: audio

windows audio is alredy started.

I have just tried fitting and installing a new sound card and the problem is still there.

Collapse -
THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME.....
by cykosez / March 2, 2007 11:52 AM PST

I have a Tablet PC and periodically when I boot up either the audio or video drivers dont boot along with it. Nevermind the video for this post but the audio problem was solved by this:
Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and -- voila! -- it worked.)

Collapse -
Another way to fix if this happens
by Python222 / March 16, 2007 8:12 PM PDT

Follow the instructions from the above post andd the Windows Audiomay already be started, if it is, just rstart the service, worked form e perfectly.

Collapse -
je voudrais avoir le volume de mn ordinateur si possible
by medoussa / December 7, 2008 10:12 PM PST

slt je me nomme kone medoussa je voudrai avoir le volume svp merci bye

Collapse -
These Forums Use English..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 8, 2008 12:19 AM PST

It appears like you've got problems with your volume.. Please give us more information about your computer, the operating system, and EXACTLY what type of volume issues you're having.. And please use the English language.

Most importantly, have you tried the other suggestions posted in this discussion thread?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
how to solve no volume, no active mixer devices thing
by deli9 / March 10, 2013 3:12 AM PDT

To solve "no active mixer volume controller driver" etc. thing (where there's no volume and no volume controller):
Go to My Computer
Click on View System Information on the left column
Go to Hardware tab
Click on Device Manager
When you see the yellow exclamation mark, right click on that and go to Install (ReInstall) or Update Drivers
Install from a list or specific location
Include this location in the search: C:\dell\drivers\R257684\Drivers
Click Next and wait with patience while the Wizard does the whole search and updating and reinstalling the driver.
When it says it's done, click Finish.
Then, go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. Under the Volume tab, choose Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar.
I solved my issue like this. It worked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.