Cameras forum

General discussion

Nikon D90 vs Nikon D7000-what makes more sense?

by PKBeee / March 8, 2011 3:13 AM PST

First - thanks to all who are taking time to help. Keeping it short and simple: I'd like a DSLR that I can grow with. I'm new to DSLR and will primarily use the camera for portraits, family photos, weddings, events, and some landscape. I'll probably never be a professional in this lifetime, but I'll work my hardest to get there. I know lenses are essential to a great photo - recommendations on some affordable lenses for portraits would be great, as well.

D90 is very popular amongst my friends, but D7000 has amazing reviews for the 'experienced' DSLR user. I will need to put the camera in auto mode for the first month or so as I learn to use it - is buying a D7000 a waste in that case? I have a feeling I may outgrow the D90, but is the body THAT important?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nikon D90 vs Nikon D7000-what makes more sense?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nikon D90 vs Nikon D7000-what makes more sense?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / March 8, 2011 3:43 AM PST

Don't worry about "outgrowing" the camera. It won't happen. The D90 is cheap right now; you can the body and kit lens for under $1,000. The D7000 with the same lens would cost 50% more.

Collapse -
Low light?
by PKBeee / March 8, 2011 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Money

Thanks for the heads up on the cost - I saw that it was under $1K, so it's definitely attractive, but how about the low light capabilities? Is it worth the extra money to be able to take pictures with limited lighting?

Collapse -
Low light Capability
by PistonCupChampion / March 8, 2011 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Low light?

The D7000 has extra headroom in its ISO range, but honestly, you really do not want to go there; photo quality degrades quite a bit up beyond ISO 3200. The better solution for low light capability with any DSLR is either a wider aperture lens or an external flash.

Collapse -
Digital cameras forum: Nikon D90 vs Nikon D7000-what makes m
by alexsmth114 / March 14, 2011 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Low light Capability

Definitely D90!!..

Collapse -
In my opinion,
by jump1127 / March 14, 2011 7:19 PM PDT

D7000 is a better than D90 when it comes to low light shooting, and 1080HD video matter. The D7000's noise output level is also much less than that of D90. I do agree that you can spend more on the brighter lenses and a flash; nevertheless, that will also the extra costs. You don't need to spend your money all at once.If I were you, I'd go for D7000 and the started kit lens. In many circumstance, low-light shooting is also a must. Good luck.

Collapse -
As I said
by PistonCupChampion / March 15, 2011 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: In my opinion,

Yes, the D7000 is better when it comes to low light shooting, but the difference is small, and IMO not worth the difference in cost. While a brighter lens also costs money, the advantage of going that route is lenses don't change that much. There will always be the next greatest body...there _will_ be a camera that replaces the D7000, just as the D7000 replaced the D90.

Collapse -
If you compare the file of D90 and D7000,
by jump1127 / March 17, 2011 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: As I said

you'll see that the different in noise level at higher ISO isn't that small ! But, if the budget is that matter, go for D90. In many circumstance, you'll need that high ISO. For example, indoor shooting. Meanwhile, the brighter lens, with F2 or less, aren't any cheap either, regardless to an additional flash cost.

Collapse -
Image Comparison
by PistonCupChampion / March 17, 2011 12:32 PM PDT

I have seen the noise levels on both cameras, using the Image Comparometer on They look very close all the way up to the D90's ISO 6400 limit. The D7000 just happens to go to two stops higher, but those two ISO are for when you need the shot, not for if you care about quality.

Collapse -
What did you decide on????
by ccpapajet / March 20, 2011 9:16 PM PDT

I am extremely interested in knowing what camera you ended up with? I am having the same problem as you but I am leaning toward the D7000.

Collapse -
I decided!!!
by PKBeee / March 20, 2011 10:20 PM PDT

Hi everyone - Firstly, I just need to thank all of you again who took the time to post to my question. It is really really nice knowing that people out there actually care and are willing to help. So...

I decided to go with the D90 to begin my photographer's journey. I was told by many people that Nikons, in general, have great resale value, so if I really like what the D90 can do, I will upgrade to the D7000. For lenses, I went with a 35mm Nikkor f/1.8 and a 55mm-300mm f/4.5-5.6.

If any of you have some great resources for photgraphy tutorials, recommended books, general tips and advice, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again everyone!!!

Collapse -
Some good authors and photographers ?
by jump1127 / March 21, 2011 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I decided!!!

Check out Scott Kelby, regard Photoshop processing. He'll provide you some nice tips, easy to understand and helpful. For photography, Joe Mcnally is one I really respect. Get to read his books, such as " The moment it clicks". Steve Mccurry is also also another excellent choice. Jame Natchwey is one great photojournalist ! For commercials , check out . These are the names I came up with. You can also visit and for some other type of photo website. Good luck and enjoy photography.

Collapse -
How much did you end up paying?
by ecchoo / April 20, 2011 3:05 PM PDT

Hi I'm so glad you have posted this because I'm going through the exact same thing! I think I'm leaning toward D90 tho. But I'm really interested in how much u end up paying for it and where.

Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / April 20, 2011 4:27 PM PDT

It was $950 from a few merchants when I wrote the original post, but the price has crept up. With supplies dwindling, I'm doubtful it will go back down.

Collapse -
Total price
by PKBeee / April 20, 2011 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Price

Hey everyone - I just got back from a European vacation and took some great shots with my D90 Happy I need more help with understanding lenses, so I'll be looking for some local photography classes.

I did some crazy searching for best price and with a promotional rebate offered at the time in which i bought, the price for the camera body was an amazing $750 via WOOHOO!

However, in support of PistonCupChampion's message, I am not surprised that prices are creeping up and will most likely continue to increase. The release of the D5100 should help maintain the price of the D90, as it seems Nikon is making a huge push of more entry level DSLR's. However, with supplies windling and with supply chains being drastically disrupted, I would buy now, while you can.

Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / April 21, 2011 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Total price

I personally have no problem with used or refurbished equipment. Adorama offers a refurbished D90 w/18-105mm lens for $960.

Collapse -
by ecchoo / April 21, 2011 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Refurbished

that's great info, thanks so much everyone!!

Collapse -
by PhotoByRoland / December 5, 2011 6:21 PM PST

Interesting to see all the comments here. I currently have the D3000 and was looking to upgrade and also had questions in reference to the D7000.
Or does someone recomend another option ?

Collapse -
definately D90
by taffyteabag001 / June 18, 2012 5:01 AM PDT

So glad you chose the D90.
I had a D90 but it got damaged so instead of purchasing a new one, I upgraded to a D7000.
Although more advanced in many ways, unless you are interested in 1080p video, then the D90 will give you plenty of superb photographs. In fact, I was very disappointed with the sharpness of the photographs in the D7000, regardless of it's tweaks here and there. I kept the D7000 for a couple of weeks trying everything that others had advised, and ended up returning it to the shop and changed it for a brand new D90...even the shop tested the D7000 against the D90 AND the Canon EOS 7d, for sharpness....They concluded that if you want sharp pictures without the fuss of enhancing it in photoshop.....The D90 wins every time.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.