Cameras forum

General discussion

Nikon D90 vs D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i Side by Side

by Jens53 / May 15, 2009 4:42 AM PDT

There is a good side by side comparison of the Nikon D90, the D5000 and the Canon Rebel T1i at:

From the images it looks like the D5000 has more consistent metering, which makes sense based on the 420-pixel versus 35 segment metering system difference. I am surprised to see the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens seems a fair bit better than the Canon equivalent.

The Canon's main strength is related to an advantage for video recording ability if I understand correctly.

With similar prices there are three good choices between these digital SLR cameras and a lot to understand.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nikon D90 vs D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i Side by Side
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nikon D90 vs D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i Side by Side
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The review is biased in favor of Nikon.
by Desperado JC / May 15, 2009 5:06 AM PDT

Here's just one example. The specs show that both the D90 and D5000 incorporate a "Silent Wave Lens Motor (SVM)" while the Rebel T1i lacks a "No Ultrasonic motor (USM)". There is just one problem here. NO Canon DSLR has a ultrasonic motor (USM) built into the camera. That's because Canon puts the ultrasonic motor (USM) into the lense.

Collapse -
Look the category

The category was over the lens and not the body. They 18-105VR lens has a SWM in the lens. They are saying that the Canon kit lens does not have the faster focusing motor inside like the Nikon counterpart.

Collapse -
They did not say that. The omission indicates bias.
by Desperado JC / May 15, 2009 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Look the category

Take another example. The pixel size for 720 HD video is provided for all three cameras. The size is pathetic. The review is silent about the pixel size provided by 1080p which is available ONLY in the Canon. 1080p is a SUBSTANTIALLY larger. The review is biased in Nikon's favor.

Collapse -
Kit lens difference
by hjfok / May 15, 2009 6:13 PM PDT

The Nikon kit lens needs to have built in motors because the cheapest models D5000, D60, D40/D40x all lack an autofocus motor built into the body. The higher end Nikon camera bodies and all Canon bodies have built-in autofocus motor. What is the difference? That means the D5000 model can only use AF-S and AF-I lenses with built-in focus motors. The D5000 and other entry level Nikons cannot autofocus the standard Nikkor lenses (only manual focus), and this limits the lens choices of these cheaper entry level models.
It is somewhat disappointing to see a review that posts out-of-focus photos for head-to-head comparison. The last Canon photo is clearly out of focus with blown out highlights and should not be used for fair comparison. As for the purple fringing mentioned in the review. Purple fringing can be affect by many factors, the Canon photo was taken with blown out highlights (blooming effect) that can increase visibility of purple fringing, so again this is not a good or fair comparison. The f/number used for the photos can also affect purple fringing or chromatic aberrations, and the photos did not specify what settings were used. The other shots also appear to have different exposures, so these comparisons do not appear to be fair comparisons.
Most of the difference between the cameras are not real significant, with the exception that the D5000 has a somewhat limited choice of lens (if you like to have autofocus).

Collapse -
I believe you are mistaken.
by Desperado JC / May 15, 2009 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Kit lens difference

Canon bodies do not contain a focus motor. The motor is within the lense. If you can provide a credible link that shows the motor within the body, that would be quite interesting.

Here is Wikipedia's discussion of Canon's USM system which states that "EF stands for "Electro-Focus": automatic focusing on EF lenses is handled by a dedicated electric motor built into the lens". That means that ALL Canon DSLRS can use USM lenses.

The same cannot be said of Nikon where, as I understand it, some cheaper Nikon lenses do not contain the focusing motor.

If the Canon focusing motor were built into the camera body, and if the review is correct that the Rebel lacks this motor, then the Rebel would not be able to use the higher end Canon USM lenses. That is not true.

Collapse -
You are correct.
by hjfok / May 16, 2009 4:19 AM PDT

The autofocus mechanism for Canon EOS is in the lens.

Collapse -
USM, SWM, HSM, SDM, SSM & others.....
by j5shock / May 17, 2009 1:39 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

Yes, I can confirm that Canon DSLR bodies does not contain a focusing motor, it is in the lens. Some of the cheaper Nikon lenses does not have a focusing motor, but that is only true for the older lenses. The newer ones will all have a focusing motor because Nikon is slowly (very slowly) phasing out bodies (models) with the focusing motor. It seems almost all camera makers are going with what Canon has been saying all along, that lenses with focusing motor built-in perform better! Just witness the proliferation of the recent crops of Lenses with names like SWM(Silent Wave Motor-Nikon), HSM(Hyper Sonic Motor-Sigma), SDM, SSM & so forth!

I just have a bone to pick with Canon: why can't Canon as the innovator of the industry give us more lenses with USM built-in? OK, maybe the diameter of some lens iare not suited to the 'Ring-type' USM, there is still the micro-USM as used in the 50mm f/1.4!Implemented right, it is just as effective as the 'Ring-type' ones! Forget the MM(Micro-Motor)-type! It is pathetic! If it is cost, I am sure Canon users aren't the cheapy-type. Just give us the choice! Come on Canon, PLEASE...!

Thanking you (Canon) in advance & everyone for listening!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.